Thread: Why am I eating so much?

Question Why am I eating so much?

It's been ten days living this new lifestyle, and I know it's the best decision I've ever made. However, I am eating A LOT. Not at once, just more frequently. I'm hungry when I wake up, which has never been the case, I typically don't eat until 12 or so, then I eat again around lunch, then have a snack, then dinner and seconds and another snack later. I'm worried about my caloric intake. My menu is balanced well and my portions are smaller, but I cannot stop being hungry! Will it go away?
    Spiritus Contra Spiritum

Rocket Queen

Default Re: Why am I eating so much?

Maybe, maybe not!Is it because you're not eating enough calorie/nutrient dense food when you do eat, or perhaps it's not a bad thing-perhaps your body functions better eating little and often rather than two or three larger meals per day?

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe, maybe not!Is it because you're not eating enough calorie/nutrient dense food when you do eat, or perhaps it's not a bad thing-perhaps your body functions better eating little and often rather than two or three larger meals per day?
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

Quote better-call-saul View Post
    It's been ten days living this new lifestyle, and I know it's the best decision I've ever made. However, I am eating A LOT. Not at once, just more frequently. I'm hungry when I wake up, which has never been the case, I typically don't eat until 12 or so, then I eat again around lunch, then have a snack, then dinner and seconds and another snack later. I'm worried about my caloric intake. My menu is balanced well and my portions are smaller, but I cannot stop being hungry! Will it go away?
    You're probably eating more because what you're eating is less calorie-dense than non-vegan food. I am definitely an advocate for frequent, small meals. You get more variety of food and nutrients as well as keeping blood sugar stable.
    Houmous atá ann!

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I always wake up hungry! The same thing freaked me out a bit when I first became vegan, too. Fear not! It is all good =)

Quote Blueberries View Post
    You're probably eating more because what you're eating is less calorie-dense than non-vegan food. I am definitely an advocate for frequent, small meals. You get more variety of food and nutrients as well as keeping blood sugar stable.
    Yes, this was my case too.
    I found myself constantly snacking and eating small meals, and I feel much better for it.
    Before turing vegan I would have a binge/ starve pattern. No breakfast, small lunch then eat a big meal and snack in the evening.

Now I feel much more level. I eat breakfast which I've never done before. I eat regularly and healthily.

I found it quite hard to eat food that was fattening and calorie-dense, which was a good thing. Because before my diet was pretty bad.

Noob, you will find your hunger dying down as you get used to your new eating pattern. I think most dieticians would think your new pattern is a good thing!

I had the same thing, lots of snacking and feeling hungry quickly, two things helped the most; a) time - my system got used to the new way of doing things, and b) telling myself consciously, that being hungry was not something to worry about (as ironically thinking I shouldn't be hungry tends to make me want to eat more!)...

Aside from that, just check that you're getting enough complex carbs, protein, variation of different foods and nutrients, and if you are, then don't worry, it'll ease off over time.

Sometimes it's partly psychological, it's a real joy to find all these tasty foods that one often never knew existed before becoming vegan, and t can just be exciting and free-ing to be able to eat without the karmic "heaviness" of knowing an animal suffered.

Oddly enough, I discovered when I had my oat bran w/ flax in the morning, I would get hungry fairly soon afterwards unless I ate bit of peanutbutter on a teaspoon. Then I was full up until my normal snack time and didn't starve half the day. If you experiment enough with your food, what you eat and when you eat it, you should find something that works better to help you stay full longer. For me, it was making sure I ate something with protein every time I ate a carb. So if I eat fruits, I'll have nuts with it. I do much better with the whole hunger thing by doing that.

Make sure your meals have enough caloric density to satiate you until the next meal. Granted, a plant-based diet does tend to leave you hungry after an hour or so has passed. I've found that eating fruit as a snack keeps me carbed up between meals. I've also discovered that trying to eat as raw during the day as possible and limiting my soy and limiting refined sugar and grain intake helps. I also aim to drink about a liter of water upon getting up in the morning. I find it helps stave off that hunger I feel in the morning so I can eat a sensible breakfast. Eventually your body will adjust, everything will level out and it will get better

Quote KnittinMama View Post
    Make sure your meals have enough caloric density to satiate you until the next meal. Granted, a plant-based diet does tend to leave you hungry after an hour or so has passed. I've found that eating fruit as a snack keeps me carbed up between meals. I've also discovered that trying to eat as raw during the day as possible and limiting my soy and limiting refined sugar and grain intake helps. I also aim to drink about a liter of water upon getting up in the morning. I find it helps stave off that hunger I feel in the morning so I can eat a sensible breakfast. Eventually your body will adjust, everything will level out and it will get better
    hey, thanks. I knew I needed to do more veggies than carbs, but it's so hard! The vegan bread I found is the best bread I've ever had, plus I LOVE tofu meals. And beans. And I am obsessed with potatoes. Trying to find more plant-based dinners. I made an amazing spaghetti squash spaghetti the first meal I made, and I wanted to make it again yesterday but they ran out of squash at the store. So we made potatoes au gratin. Carby and filling, and tons of spinach with homemade vegan dressing. I'm also juicing in between meals to fill up and get those extra nutrients. Will keep looking for those recipes! Thanks again.
    Spiritus Contra Spiritum

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think knittinmama meant refined grains should be limited, not grains of all types. If you cut out carbs then you WILL be hungry. It's the fact that some carbs are refined that makes them bad for you, but complex carbohydrates are vital for energy and keeping a stable blood sugar level (if your blood sugar gets too low you will get hungry/dizzy etc)...

Actually, carbs is what you will eat in plenty if you stick to fresh, ripe fruits and vegetables.
    and that' s a good thing, look up "The China Study" and "80/10/10 diet".

I always have copious amounts of fruit at hand (bananas, pears, apples) and green smoothie in the fridge, to deal with those small hungry feelings.

Best regards,
    Andy

Yeah, you just have to leave the skin on apples/pears etc, rather than just eating the flesh etc. So you get the fibrous content.

Quote Peabrain View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think knittinmama meant refined grains should be limited, not grains of all types. If you cut out carbs then you WILL be hungry. It's the fact that some carbs are refined that makes them bad for you, but complex carbohydrates are vital for energy and keeping a stable blood sugar level (if your blood sugar gets too low you will get hungry/dizzy etc)...
    Exactly Whole grains are beneficial, in my opinion. I do eat whole wheat bread, but stay away from refined, bleached white flours, white rice, instant oatmeal packets with artificial flavors and sweeteners, etc. I love brown rice, oats and whole wheat.

Personally I do eat white flour products, but alongside wholewheat products, grains, legumes, fruit, veg, etc... I balance it all out. I also don't eat refined sugars at all (except a syrupy thing made from apple, grape and carob, and of course the natural sugars that are found in various foods).

There are two ways to satisfy your appetite: eat enough food to fill up your stomach or eat enough nutrient rich foods to set off the receptors in your stomach to tell your brain that you have received sufficient fuel.

Keep in mind that the reaction is not immediate, so taking pauses between eating big meals will allow for you to gradually feel full.

Stay away from white starches and processed foods as they provide little nutritional benefit, empty calories, and will leave you craving more.

Thank-you!
    Spiritus Contra Spiritum