Thread: B12 in normal capsules?

Question B12 in normal capsules?

Hi everyone,
    I am taking B12 capsules from PureEncapsulations:

These are "normal" capsules, dosage is one daily capsule and it has 400mcg of B12 (more information in this page: http://www.purecaps.net/at/produkte/...e_objectID=117)

Point is, every source of information says that B12 should be either sublingual or even chewable pills in order to easy the absorption of such vitamin - on the other hand, at least here in Austria, there is no other way of finding it but in normal pills with such a high dosage.

I am a bit confused, and I would like to ask you, guys: is it a waste of time (and money, too...) having B12 in normal capsules? Could I harm my body somehow? Should I toss it away and buy my vitamins on Amazon, for instance, where I can find sublingual pills?

In other words... please help!

cheers
    Sabrina.

Default Re: B12 in normal capsules?

I wouldn't have thought it was a waste of time, but perhaps slightly less absorbable than the chewable/sublingual ones - other people here know much more about that than I do though.

I really just wanted to mention that the Vegan Society does a chewable multivitamin including B12 - it's called Veg-1 and they will ship it outside the UK apparently http://www.vegansociety.com/hubpage....=0&sort=normal so you could consider that as well as the Amazon ones.

Quote harpy View Post
    I wouldn't have thought it was a waste of time, but perhaps slightly less absorbable than the chewable/sublingual ones - other people here know much more about that than I do though.

I really just wanted to mention that the Vegan Society does a chewable multivitamin including B12 - it's called Veg-1 and they will ship it outside the UK apparently http://www.vegansociety.com/hubpage....=0&sort=normal so you could consider that as well as the Amazon ones.
    Yeah, I heard about this multivitamin, but I am a bit wary about it - this one I bought at a pharmacy which has lots of vegan customers, afaik.

Hello Sabrina,

The best Vitamin b12 supplement I have found is in a liquid form and it comes with a dropper. It is pure b12 and does not contain other ingredients like preservatives(which a lot of supplements have and I do not recommend you eat stuff with preservatives). It is protected by Miron Glass and does not need preservatives. It has 67mcg of b12 per drop which is still more than the daily recommended amount so I suggest you just use a drop with a glass of water and drink a little bit everyday. It has 1333 servings per 100ml bottle so it is not very expensive if you think about how many uses your getting out of it. They sell both methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin(the 2 active forms of b12) so it is up to you which one you prefer.

http://www.epigenetics-international...lamin%29_100ml

Hope this helps.

Quote Arbor Vitae View Post
    Hello Sabrina,

The best Vitamin b12 supplement I have found is in a liquid form and it comes with a dropper. It is pure b12 and does not contain other ingredients like preservatives(which a lot of supplements have and I do not recommend you eat stuff with preservatives). It is protected by Miron Glass and does not need preservatives. It has 67mcg of b12 per drop which is still more than the daily recommended amount so I suggest you just use a drop with a glass of water and drink a little bit everyday. It has 1333 servings per 100ml bottle so it is not very expensive if you think about how many uses your getting out of it. They sell both methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin(the 2 active forms of b12) so it is up to you which one you prefer.

Hope this helps.
    Hi Arbor,
    I checked these pages, thanks for sharing! One thing that intrigued me though: does it really last around 4 years?! How long did last yours, for instance?

cheers
    Sabrina.

Like harpy says, the capsules may have a lower absorption rate than sublingual pills but if they're 400mcg then do you really need to worry about absorption?

I would say that 400mcg IS too much to be taking daily, I see no reason you couldn't just take them less often though, like once a week/fortnight and you could even break up the pills to give you a lower dose.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I am not too sure if b12 has a long shelf life, but since I can only assume that it is possible to store b12 in your liver for over a multiple number of years it should be able to last awhile. Maybe you could email the company and see if there is an expiration date. I still haven't started taking b12 supplements yet, but I use the Miron Glass bottles to preserve my extracted juice and the b12 is also protected by it. If your worried that it does expire, you could just use some of the liquid b12 and fertilize your garden if you have one.

Quote Arbor Vitae View Post
    I am not too sure if b12 has a long shelf life, but since I can only assume that it is possible to store b12 in your liver for over a multiple number of years it should be able to last awhile. Maybe you could email the company and see if there is an expiration date. I still haven't started taking b12 supplements yet, but I use the Miron Glass bottles to preserve my extracted juice and the b12 is also protected by it. If your worried that it does expire, you could just use some of the liquid b12 and fertilize your garden if you have one.
    Hi Arbor,
    I wrote to Epigenetics regarding this vitamin... This is their answer.

cheers
    Sabrina.

From: clive@epigenetics-international.com <clive@epigenetics-international.com>
    Date: Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 2:16 PM
    Subject: RE: Enquiry from the Epigenetics Limited website
    To: "slanzoni@gmail.com" <slanzoni@gmail.com>

Thank you for your enquiry

You are correct there are 1333 servings in a bottle, we do find that when patients are tested by their practitioner they often require much more than 1 drop so we would not recommend self-prescribing any of our products but have a consultation with a practitioner so they can identify whether you require the product and the dose you require.

Our B12 has a 2 year best before date from the date of manufacture and we manufacture each month so anything we ship will have around 23 months shelf life however we do say that once opened you consume within 3 months because the product when opened can pick up air-borne contaminants so we would certainly not recommend that you take small amounts each day for a long period as we would not be comfortable with the integrity of the product if used in the way you describe

Kind regards

Clive

Clive Bingham
    Managing Director
    Epigenetics Ltd

Office: 01380 800105
    Mobile: 07766 382268
    www.epigenetics-international.com

This e-mail message is confidential and subject to legal privilege. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the intended recipient. Any advice contained within it is exclusively for our client's benefit. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately then delete it from your system. We accept no responsibility for software viruses and you should check for viruses before opening any attachments.

Registered address;
    Epigenetics Ltd
    The Old Coach House
    21 Church Street
    Market Lavington
    Devizes
    Wiltshire
    SN10 4DU

Sent: 17 March 2013 9:53 PM
    To: info@epigenetics-international.com
    Subject: Enquiry from the Epigenetics Limited website

Dear Epigenetics Limited,

A visitor has made an enquiry via the Epigenetics Limited website.

Enquiry Form Details:

Name: Sabrina Lanzoni Goncalves
    Telephone No.
    Email Address: slanzoni@gmail.com

Enquiry/Message:
    Hello Epigenetics crew,
    I am vegan and I am interested in buying a bottle of methylcobalamin. According to the description page one bottle has 1333 servings, which means a lifespan of around 3 years. My question is, how long can I keep it after I opened my bottle? Does it really last for at least 3 years?

Thank you!

best regards
    Sabrina.

Thanks for the information Sabrina. Well since 1 bottle would last around 3 months it would certainly help to find other people that also want to take b12 with you. Even omnis could use some b12 and you can use this b12 buddy system to teach them why animals are a bad source of b12. You can also fertilize your garden or grow some wheatgrass inside your house with it. I will just buy the 3 pack because it's cheaper and split it 4 ways in my house. You could probably make 3 bottles last 1 year and that comes to only around $65 with shipping a year for me. Other products just contain too many unnecessary ingredients for me and I don't believe you can put a price on your health.