Thread: Vegan (children's) party food

Default Vegan (children's) party food

DD is turning two shortly and we have a number of omni children coming to her party. The party will be 100% vegan, but I have a feeling our normal healthy diet might not be what a lot of them are used to. Any suggestions on healthy(ish) snacks that have omni appeal?

Thanks
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Default Re: Vegan (Children's) Party Food

Happy birthday, mini Ms Derious. How time flies! I thought children liked hummus and carrot sticks etc - could be messy though. How about popcorn, are they big enough for that?

Little pieces of Linda mcCartney sausages? I'm not really sure what 2 year olds eat
    Houmous atá ann!

Hmm obviously some sort of vegan cake and ice cream - assuming none of the little ones are allergic to soy. Most kids like oatmeal or peanut butter cookies. I doubt you could get them to eat veggies. Perhaps a nice, brightly colored fruit salad.

Beyond that, it might be easier to provide some sort of cheap toys they can win in games and take home.

mini pizzas, mini burgers? sandwiches with mock tuna mayo or tofutti cream cheese, mini sausage rolls, raw veggies and some dips? just little things that look like what they normally eat, but small enough not to waste much whilst they find what they like possibly?

cornflake and rice krispie cakes with vegan chocolate, bananas and custard, ice-cream, jam tarts, chocolate dipped fruit
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

Vegan Spaghetti bolognese? Maybe better Penne, because I remember when my kids were 2, spaghetti could make a bit of a mess.

Vegan "pigs in a blanket" (sausage rolls) or hotdogs often do the trick for me.

Best regards,
    Andy

Redwood's make tiny little sausage rolls that are disturbingly porky and reassuringly bad for you; you can buy them in the freezer section in Holland and Barrett.

I think most kids eat things like carrot and celery sticks, right? I'm pretty sure I remember them at parties I went to, mixed in with all the radioactive-looking sweets. And pineapple chunks and grapes on cocktail sticks?

Vegan fridge cake (there's a recipe in Another Dinner is Possible).

I think it's possible to buy vegan jelly crystals (again, I think I've seen these in Holland and Barrett), so you could still do vegan jelly and non-dairy ice cream? If you used Swedish Glace I bet no one would tell the difference.
    "Eventually, I realised that the reason I was so angry was because I want people in the world to be well." - Ian MacKaye

Quote Wraithling View Post
    Redwood's make tiny little sausage rolls that are disturbingly porky and reassuringly bad for you; you can buy them in the freezer section in Holland and Barrett.

I think most kids eat things like carrot and celery sticks, right? I'm pretty sure I remember them at parties I went to, mixed in with all the radioactive-looking sweets. And pineapple chunks and grapes on cocktail sticks?

Vegan fridge cake (there's a recipe in Another Dinner is Possible).

I think it's possible to buy vegan jelly crystals (again, I think I've seen these in Holland and Barrett), so you could still do vegan jelly and non-dairy ice cream? If you used Swedish Glace I bet no one would tell the difference.
    You just reminded me Ants on a Log! Celery with the center part filled in with smooth peanut butter and then raisins (ants) in a row on top of the peanut butter. Most kids like them because how can you resist eating Ants on a log?

Now this is just too cute (if you have time): http://naturalkidsteam.com/wordpress...at-snack-time/

Sandwiches with vegan mock meat slices (from holland & Barrett), with peanut butter (if there are no allergies) and/ or with jam, cut into triangles or cute shapes with a cookie cutter?

Mini sausage rolls sounds a good idea.

Like others have said, carrot sticks, cucumber sticks and celery sticks, and you could also have grapes and cut up slices of apple?

Crisps- maybe given their age 'softer' ones like skips (some are vegan) salt and vinegar sticks and 'bacon' crisp rashers?

Garlic bread and potato wedges if hot food is an option?

banana slices rolled in coconut. can have raisin eyes and smile.
    vegan cheddar softened and spread on crackers
    oven chips will be a big hit -apparently some toddlers live on them
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Awesome. Loads of really good ideas

Thanks you folks
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Default Re: Vegan (children's) party food

I love Chef Chloe's recipes- she has one for Vegan Goldfish Crackers and Vegan Mac & Cheese. Any cookies, cake or cupcakes, you could use agave nectar instead of sugar, or use apple sauce or bananas instead of oil. Happy Herbivore has a kid-friendly section on her blog, and she's very health-conscious.

In the end it was a bit of a sugarfest. We had lots of cakes, scones (savoury) sandwiches, crisps, popcorn, dips, vegetable fingers and a raw 'cheezecake' for the adults.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Looks a lot better than the kids' parties I remember from my youth! How did the food go down with the guests?

Fine. They are mostly fairly liberal tree jiggers anyway, so it was only really my sister's child who looked askance at celery

Celery - bit daring, that!

ok it's too late now but for anybody reading in future, i am fairly sure that holland and barret also sell vegan friendly gummy bears, plus the strawberry flavoured liquorice rope things are really nice!!! i can imagine them going down well at a kids party