Thread: Home made flour grinder?

Default Home made flour grinder?

I think I've mentioned beforehand that I seem to be having problems with gluten in my diet, so I've decided to go completely gluten free (like my diet isn't restrictive enough as it is! I can't even have soy anymore goddamnit and it looks like nightshades have to go too. Aaaaaaaaaargh!!!!). But, gonna stick with it. Being vegan when it's "easy" is just that - easy (ish) but when you're restricted even further. Sigh, it can make it a little difficult, but you gotta keep it up as much as possible.
    Well I've decided I'd rather just make my own gluten free flours, using rice and chickpeas and the like, and I'm on the look-out for a decent grinder.

From my understanding I an use a coffee/spice grinder to grind my "flour" but haven't got a clue where to start in buying a decent grinder (on a budget, preferably) so I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on something I can use that is easily available in the UK?

Thanks in advance!
    VJ.

Default Re: Home Made Flour Grinder?

Why make your own rather than buy it?
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hi VJ, sorry to hear that your diet has become more restricted. Hopefully you'll find some interesting and varied recipes!

Here is a blog where the author lists her gluten/soya/nightshade-free recipes:

http://triumphofthelentilblog.wordpress.com/

Regarding the grinder, have a look on amazon, I think that there are a few resonably-priced ones.
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Risker View Post
    Why make your own rather than buy it?
    Cheaper, I assume?
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Home made flour grinder?

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Cheaper, I assume?
    It's not really so much about cost efficiency, but more to do with that I always have tons of dried chickpeas, rice etc (which I can pick up pretty easily nearby) and I could just make up the flour when I need it.

Due to having a - still undiagnosed (possibly crohn's disease, as it hasn't been ruled out) - bowel disorder, I have trouble in getting to the major supermarkets where I'd have to buy the ready made flours, so it would be much simpler for me to just make my own from ingredients I can pick up within 5 minutes of home, traveling too far can be "problematic".
    I could order online I guess, but it's also extremely difficult for me to get into town to put funds in the bank, I'm pretty much housebound most of the time, and usually if I do go out I'm within a 5 minute walk home. IBD/IBS can be extremely debilitating - you could say it's a pain in the arse! Ahem.

@Blueberries - thanks for the link, I'm gonna check out the site.
    I do actually have an ebook called Triumph Of The Lentil, which I presume may be by the same person who runs the site.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, having looked at the site it IS the same author.

Quote VampireJack View Post

It's not really so much about cost efficiency, but more to do with that I always have tons of dried chickpeas, rice etc (which I can pick up pretty easily nearby) and I could just make up the flour when I need it.

Due to having a - still undiagnosed (possibly crohn's disease, as it hasn't been ruled out) - bowel disorder, I have trouble in getting to the major supermarkets where I'd have to buy the ready made flours, so it would be much simpler for me to just make my own from ingredients I can pick up within 5 minutes of home, traveling too far can be "problematic".
    I could order online I guess, but it's also extremely difficult for me to get into town to put funds in the bank, I'm pretty much housebound most of the time, and usually if I do go out I'm within a 5 minute walk home. IBD/IBS can be extremely debilitating - you could say it's a pain in the arse! Ahem.

@Blueberries - thanks for the link, I'm gonna check out the site.
    I do actually have an ebook called Triumph Of The Lentil, which I presume may be by the same person who runs the site.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, having looked at the site it IS the same author.
    I'm sorry that living with stomach problems is so dibilitating. I can well imagine it as any time I get an upset stomach it ruins my day, everyday must be tough. Do the shops near you that sell rice & chickpeas sell Indian groceries? I'm sure you'd get chickpea & rice flour there. Or you could just go with your original idea and buy a grinder. It seems like one of those appliances that would be really uesful to people who are gluten-free.
    Houmous atá ann!