Thread: need help with carbs

Question need help with carbs

A little over a month ago I watched Vegucated. That was the beginning of my journey. The next day I became vegan. I have been free of animal products 100% for 5 weeks. I just had this disconnect that I didn't want to face. I have always been a huge animal lover but it never took hold over me. So now I feel I've finally made the decision that is best for me, but I am having a hard time with the carbs. I'm finding it so much easier to just grab for the bread, pastas, potatoes, etc. Not sure if there are others who had the same start. I do make quinoa and dishes with tofu and steamed veggies but mainly my big food is carbs. I am the only one in my circle of family, friends or acquaintances that is vegan or vegetarian so I have no one to reach out to with these questions or concerns. I know what I probably should be doing and I probably should be getting a cookbook to help out, but I would like to know from everyone what your thoughts are.

Default Re: Newly Vegan, Need help with Carbs

Go for the whole wheat least processed stuff you can get your hands on. That's so much better for you. Fortunately for us carb lovers whole wheat breads and pastas are high in dietary fiber which makes them a good choice. I personally love long grain and wild rice blends. If you throw in some stir fried veggies over the top of some nice mixed grain rice... hmm that sounds yummy actually.

Quote KiwiMi View Post
    I'm finding it so much easier to just grab for the bread, pastas, potatoes, etc.
    Hi KiwiMi! Yes I agree that it is definately easier at times to just grab carbs (I'm a long-time vegan and I still do it when I can't be bothered to cook much!). Try and prepare easy-to-grab proteins like seitan slices, baked tofu or beans so that they are just there in the fridge to be quickly added to carbs.
    Do you have any cookbooks or read any good recipe sites/blogs?
    Houmous atá ann!

Do you have any cookbooks or read any good recipe sites/blogs?

I borrowed The Kind Diet from Amazon on my kindle, but I'm still in the process of reading and re-reading the main story, haven't gotten to any recipes quite yet. If I have an item that I want to make a recipe with I just google for vegan recipe with item. It has worked out, but I may hit the bookstore later for one, but if you have a suggestion of one that would be great.

Quote KiwiMi View Post
    Blueberries, Do you have any cookbooks or read any good recipe sites/blogs?
    It depends entirely on your style of cooking! When I first went vegan I used Vegweb and the Sarah Kramer books alot, but I think there may be more modern resources available for newbies now. I like Isa Chandra Moskowitz, my first book I got of her's was Vegan with a Vengeance and I still use it years later. I also love Vegan Eats World by Terry Hope Romero, lots of really great international recipes in there.
    Houmous atá ann!

Thanks, I appreciate all the help. I will look into Vegweb definitely. I'm definitely a comfort food person, and love to bake but cooking for me needs to be somewhat fast. If there are too many ingredients it turns me off, even if I have all those ingredients. Thanks again. It makes me feel better knowing I can just come here if I need the support.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Tabbycat View Post
    If you throw in some stir fried veggies over the top of some nice mixed grain rice... hmm that sounds yummy actually.
    Thanks for the help. All of that does sound yummy. I love rices and pastas and veggies, may just do a pasta primavera later on. Loads of veggies with whole wheat pasta with earth balance butter and some garlic, yummy!
    No one can go back and make a brand new start, but anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

You sound as if you're doing fine. As everyone has said it's good to go for the wholegrain versions as far as poss. Also when I prepare meals I try to up the ratio of other stuff to starches, so it's vegetables with pasta rather than pasta with vegetables, if you see what I mean.

I have found it helpful to make a large quantity of soup or casserole on the weekend, and freeze convenient portions so I can defrost a quick meal during the week. I also keep lots of fresh fruit around so I have something healthful to "grab."
    For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seeds of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.” Pythagoras

Default Re: Newly vegan, need help with carbs

A little suggestion - swap potatoes for sweet potato or butternut squash, delicious and more beneficial than the standard spud!

Yumm, yes - sweet potatoes make a great snack. I keep several cooked sweet potatoes on hand to use as a snack or I mash them up on toast for breakfast
    For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seeds of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.” Pythagoras

Thank you to everyone's input, really appreciate all the help, I'm making strides towards more veggies at every meal and taking all this advice and using it. Thanks so much.
    No one can go back and make a brand new start, but anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

Quote KiwiMi View Post
    A little over a month ago I watched Vegucated. That was the beginning of my journey. The next day I became vegan. I have been free of animal products 100% for 5 weeks. I just had this disconnect that I didn't want to face. I have always been a huge animal lover but it never took hold over me. So now I feel I've finally made the decision that is best for me, but I am having a hard time with the carbs. I'm finding it so much easier to just grab for the bread, pastas, potatoes, etc. Not sure if there are others who had the same start. I do make quinoa and dishes with tofu and steamed veggies but mainly my big food is carbs. I am the only one in my circle of family, friends or acquaintances that is vegan or vegetarian so I have no one to reach out to with these questions or concerns. I know what I probably should be doing and I probably should be getting a cookbook to help out, but I would like to know from everyone what your thoughts are.
    I had the same thing going.. The disconnect that I knew existed but wasn't ready to face. Going veg was the best thing I have done for myself! Vegucated helped me too, love that documentary.

There's tons of free recipes online too ! Although I love my vegan cookbooks for reference!
    It's all new to you right now, but trust me, I went through the same thing. After a lot of time and research I decided that I didn't want to veganize omni meals all the time.. I wanted to create new, healthy vegan meals. That is when I discovered ethnic foods of all types. I truly learned how to cook.

It's okay to have transition foods that may not be the healthiest, like white carbs.. I was there, and trust me, it's a phase. Once you feel great about being vegan, you'll likely want to improve more and start learning and experimenting with all kinds of fruits and veg with your meals. White bread and pasta get boring after a while :P

Also, I was intimidated at first by all sorts of ingredients. I had no idea what nutritional yeast, miso, or rice paper wraps were. Quinoa? Didn't know what that was. Didn't know WHAT to do with tofu. Thought it was vile. After a while, and experiments and google consulting, I learned a lot.

Best of luck to you!!