Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Soya milk

Question Soya milk?

My soya milk comes in happy little long life cartons. Which are great ... until you open them. I was buying a kind that had a sort of spout on it (Alpro), but more often than not the spout/cover would break off, leaving you with no way to close it. The kind I am buying now doesn't even have that - it is just a 'cut off the corner' type container. Which might work okay, except then you can't shake it each time before you use it.

(I have read that you are supposed to shake it (rather vigorously) each time before you use it - Does everyone else do this too?)

So I have been left in a quandry as to what to store the milk in once it is opened. I have tried a left over glass bottle, and that worked okay but took up too much space on the door in the fridge (wine bottle sized) and still didn't even hold the whole litre of milk. I am currently using two little plastic pots - one container of soya milk fills two of these - but it doesn't seem to keep very well.

I could splash out more and buy the slightly better containered soya milks that come from the chilled cabinet, but they cost twice as much and I don't like them as well as the others :-(

So how do you store your soya milk?

does everyone in the UK call soy milk "soya milk"? just curious, i'm always kinda interested in linguistic differences between countries.

oh, i get eden soy. not sure if they sell it there, but it has a closable "spout" thingy. so i just put it in the fridge after i open it.

I never had a problem with the spout/cover breaking off on my soy milk - I sometimes get Alpro, but its usually Granovita. It stores fine in the fridge.

I am not very good about giving it a good shake everytime - I do before I open it the first time, but then usually forget - a liter usually only lasts a few days, anyway.

I once had an juice container with a spout thingy that fell off - I used a heavy duty tape to hold it on, and it lasted until the juice was gone - although I didn´t try aný vigorous shaking with it.

regards,
    globesetter

I try to buy organic sweetened provamel soya milk which has the little thingy to open and close so don't get the problem. Yes, in the uk, its all soya. I guess webster is refering to a supermarkets own brand like Asda (walmart). The milk doesn't really last long in my house anyway, so no problem. No I don't shake it, but only some brands have some lumpy stuff at the bottom of the carton at the end.

my organic soymilk has a plastic tab that u open and close so it stays in the fridge well in the container it comes in.

have u tried using one of those reusable plastic water bottle type things? that would work.

but soy is as in soy sauce- i use it in stir fry and it certain'y isn't the same a soya

Quote mattd
    does everyone in the UK call soy milk "soya milk"? just curious, i'm always kinda interested in linguistic differences between countries.
    Yeah, at least everyone I know does...

Default Soya Milk

Here we go, I live in British Columbia Canada and while looking at all of the soya milk here they are made by the dairy companies. So I feel like is is purpose defeating because those companies that are taking the milk from the cows still get my money for profit.

Guess you can't stop people making profit, but better that they don't profit from the suffering of cows.

Thats somewhat pessimistic don't you think??

Try looking for Vitasoy - comes in those unrefrigerated cartons on the shelves, wide variety of flavours, independant company, and it says "VEGAN" on the side of the carton.

Hey thanks alot

Thumbs up

Vitasoy is my own soymilk of choice as it is made from whole, organic, Australian soybeans, no GE. I generally buy the fresh rather than the longlife. However, like firstbus pointed out, it is another product made by a dairy company. I'm not pessimistic but simply stating a fact; after all, the dairy companies are losing a slice of the market by consumers chosing soymilk, so I guess they got into the act. Provided they maintain separation of soymilk from dairy, why not?

I picked up some so nice and some silk today. Neither of them seem to have signs of having conections to dairy companies, but I still wonder... if anyone can contradict my appeal to these brands that would be great.

Silk is made by Whitewave. I don't think they have any links to the dairy industry ... then again. In terms of info about silk... the website tells you about the company. I personally like silk unsweetened soymilk vitasoy tastes about the same. Someone recommended Pearl... but I haven't tried it.

Silk is owned by Whitewave which is owned by Deans, a huge dairy company (probably the biggest here in the US). Not many brands now-a-days aren't owned by dairy. So depending on where you live, you maybe out of luck. I use a brand called Edensoy. It may only be available in the US since it's a fairly small company. If I were you, I'd just do some research on the brands available to you and if none of them are independent of the dairy industry, don't worry about it. Sometimes there's only so much you can do.

Talking

Soya milk? Pants! What you guys need is some Rice Dream. And I could be wrong but I believe it's from a company which doesn't have interests in the animal food industry.

I like rice milk but it's too sweet... or rather has a sweet aftertaste I don't care for in general.

Does anyone know anything about the brand "so nice"??

at the moment i buy my soya milk (yes everyone i know in the UK calls it soya too) in cartons from supermarkets. it's annoying 'cos it always goes a bit lumpy by the time i get to the bottom, so i have to shake it every time.

i've just bought a soya milk maker and i've been wondering how to store it when i've made it fresh. i've only got a small fridge so i can't fit too many bottles or jugs in there, i'll have to refill some juice bottles or something, unless anyone has any better ideas?

you could always buy a soya milk maker and make your own milk, if you buy the beans from a vegan shop or company you probably won't be supporting companies with interests in the dairy industry. i've just bought one, and i'll let everyone know it goes when i use it

plastic containers made for teas and water bottles from supermarkers or large retailers.... that's what i would do.

The soy milk here is too. But by buying it we show them we want that instead of cow's milk, and they shouldn't stop making it.
    Auschwitz begins wherever someone looks at a slaughterhouse and thinks: they're only animals.
    -Theodor Adorno (1903-1969), German Jewish philosopher forced into exile by the Nazis

I found a nice brand, Provamel. I don't like the taste of rice dream, or any other rice milk, so I go with provamels soy milk. Provamel also makes rice milk, but I haven't tried that. I tried one of their desserts, it was really nice, like jelly with vanilla flavour. You should try it.

Default Soy Milk ad

Never did I think I would see the day. My mother is watching tv and a comercial comes on talking about a calcium beverage and then "its not mil, its soy milk" I was quite excited.
    "Its bad karma to fuck with the stoned"- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Comentary (found on criterion collection)

I've seen a few Silk commercials. They always mention that it doesn't have cholesterol.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

this one was for "so good"
    "Its bad karma to fuck with the stoned"- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Comentary (found on criterion collection)

Theres ads for www.alprosoya.co.uk on tv over here at the moment. There have been for a while, but they seem to be more frequent at present. Vegan times are a changing.

I remember a TV ad back in Australia for Sanitarium So Good. It had a little jingle: "No Cholesterol, No Lactose, that's another reason try try Sanitarium Soooooo Good!"

i always see commercials for so good (and silk and other kinds). the other day there was an ad on the side of a big semi truck for it. and in magazines.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I love the Silk commercials. Especially when they say "No cholesterol, greater possibilities". Gotta love that.

Quote foxytina_69
    i always see commercials for so good (and silk and other kinds). the other day there was an ad on the side of a big semi truck for it. and in magazines.
    I tired So Good, not a fan. I am a So Nice kind of guy

I don't drink SoGood either, to me So Good is No Good - more like a chemical cocktail! When I was in the US, I drank Silk, and here at home I take fresh Vitasoy, made from whole Australian organic soybeans.
    Eve

Did anyone catch "The Corporation" ? I think it should be on dvd everywhere by now. They had a prediction that soymilk is going to be promoted more widely across the American landscape; not due to its health benefits but due to who controls the soy crops and who ultimately is going to reap the benefit. They even suggested that GW Bush would be promoting soy, personally.
    If it cuts the abuse to cattle then it can only be a good thing.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

I'm a So Natural fan myself, but I've got to admit, I like the "So Good" theme song. Vitasoy's Lush Chocolate rocks, too!

Quote veganblue
    Did anyone catch "The Corporation" ? I think it should be on dvd everywhere by now. They had a prediction that soymilk is going to be promoted more widely across the American landscape; not due to its health benefits but due to who controls the soy crops and who ultimately is going to reap the benefit. They even suggested that GW Bush would be promoting soy, personally.
    If it cuts the abuse to cattle then it can only be a good thing.
    I'm guessing those will be GMO soybeans, so I wonder which company is going to sell it. Silk is all organic.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Quote Artichoke47
    I'm guessing those will be GMO soybeans, so I wonder which company is going to sell it. Silk is all organic.
    As is SO Nice

I really like the ads for Solae on TV. I do not know much about the company, but the ads are kinda like this -

People are blindfolded, and they are asked to name what high protien food they are eating. first they generally eat something that is meat - chicken, fish, etc. Then they eat something that is soy and say, veggie burger, soy shake, etc.

Then this announcer comes on and says, "proof that you can get protien in unexpected places - solae!"

Default Re: Soy vs. Soya

is soy milk good?
    Poor animals! How jealously they guard their pathetic bodies . . . that which to us is merely an evening's meal, but to them is life itself. T. Casey Brennan

Gliondrach

Default Re: Soy vs. Soya

Soya milk is wonderful. It is nice in tea, coffee, cocoa, porridge, muesli, and just about anything that animal milk is used for. I prefer the unsweetened. Sometimes, if coffee is very strong, the soya milk will look as if it's curdled but you just have to add a bit more until the coffee looks normal.

Default Getting used to soy milk

I've been vegan for about 2 months, and I can't stand soy milk! I've tried it several times on cereal, by itself, plain and vanilla flavoured, and 2 of the 3 common brands available (I've had Silk and So Good; still haven't tried So Nice), and I just hate it! The only one I like is chocolate , but even that took a bit of getting used to. At present I use almond milk on my cereal, and I absolutely love it. It's almost exactly like how my cereal tasted before. But it's pretty pricey, so I'd like to try to make the transition to soy milk.

Has anyone else ever hated soy milk at first, but gotten used to it? Or is it something that you either love or hate at first taste? Are there any tips on learning to love soy milk? Like taking it slowly, or making yourself drink a lot to get used to it quickly? I'm at a loss. I want to start using it in everything, but I really hate it. Has anyone else had this problem but gotten over it?
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Default Re: Getting used to soy milk

I've been drinking soymilk for about 13 years and I love the taste, but I do remember when I first started drinking it I thought it was horrible. I got used to it over the years I guess. Whereas, my non-vegan sister just loves the taste of it anyway. I've tried rice milk before but never almond milk as it is really expensive and I can say I much prefer soymilk.

FR

I think it is something you either love or you hate. I love it. I hate cow's milk with a passion, it has to be one of the most disgusting things on Earth. I was so happy when I tried soymilk and found out it did not taste like cow's milk. I think almond milk tasts wondrful, too, especially chocolate. Sorry that I am not much help but I don't think you can all of the sudden like soymilk if you do not like it now.

The only difference I still notice with soy milk is that it is naturally less sweet than milk. The sweetened varieties are easier to start out with. Try and get the most natural brand that you can - ie without all the vitamins and flavourings. I actually think they taste more neutral than the other sorts.

I did start out with adding milk shake powder to it, though - more because I thought it would taste nasty. But then I gradually started drinking it more without the milk shake.

The one I drink now is simply organic soya beans and water (and it's cheap ), and tastes perfect (to me at least) on cereal. If I make custard, though, I need to use more sugar than I did when using cow milk.

I'm 'getting' over it, I too couldn't stand the taste of soy milk when I first tried it , and that was a little over a year ago, so I used rice milk instead. I am *just* starting to not mind the taste of soy milk. I've taken it slowly and used the soy milk in drinks a few times a week to start with, and I'm gradually getting there - I'm not sure if I'll ever make it to drinking it on it's own or even using it on cereal - and it's not really necessary too either as I do like the rice milk, but I am determined to master the taste of soy (strangely enough I don't have this problem with soy yogurts or icecream - just the milk )

So yeah, the gradual addition of soy milk is working for me
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Thanks guys! I'm going to buy a (small!) carton of soy milk tomorrow, and try again. I want this to work! I just had a thought: maybe I should try mixing it with almond milk, on cereal and the like, and slowly increase the ratio until it's all soy milk that I'm drinking. Because I don't think I'll be able to get used to it just by drinking it alone. I'd never be able to drink more than a couple mouthfuls in a sitting, and I'd never get used to it that way

Quote FR
    I think almond milk tasts wondrful, too, especially chocolate.
    There's chocolate almond milk??? What brand? Or do you make your own? I better not try it, I already don't mind chocolate soy milk, but if I try almond, I might never be able to return to soy

FR

Blue Diamond offers original, vanilla, and chocolate almond milk. I love the chocolate because it tastes just like a chocolate candy bar w/almonds.

Quote FR
    Blue Diamond offers original, vanilla, and chocolate almond milk. I love the chocolate because it tastes just like a chocolate candy bar w/almonds.
    Oh my, that sounds absolutely divine - I want some!! - bet they don't do anything like it in the UK (going to go and check! ).
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

vegandolly

The best soya milk is the sweetened variety(not with sugar but with apple juice).

I buy Blue Diamond almond milk, but on the shelf whenever I see it, there's only plain and vanilla. But I think it's just as well, as I already feel guilty about spending $3.99 on one litre of plain almond milk: if I had 2 varieties to buy, I'd go broke! Luckily I'm happy with my chocolate soy milk.

Again, thanks for the advice everyone. I'll post again in a couple days and see whether I've gotten further along the path to loving soy milk in all it's forms.