Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Soya milk

FR

Default Re: Getting used to soy milk

It is $2.49 here in the States. Sometimes it is on sale, 2 for $3.00!

Hello there

If you don't like soy milk you don't have to drink. I have found that there are many brands of soy milk, there is here in Oz anyway. They all taste different, the beany tasting ones, the oily ones, the sweet ones, the powdery ones, cheap, expensive.

I tried quite a few before I settled on Bonsoy. i don't know if you can get it where you are but it is fantabulous. It's creamy but has no oil, it has no sugar but is sweet like bread. Its not GMO'd and it is made from whole soy beans. I love it, I could drink it all day long.

Bonsoy. Made in Japan. Imported into Australia by Spiral Foods

Antony bean

I never drank cow milk or ate cereal with milk when I was an omni. If you only use it on cereal then perhaps you could try something different for breakfast? I make a big batch of banana or pumpkin whole grain muffins and freezed them - instant breakfast on the go. Sometimes I make fruit smoothies with tofu or soy milk, or amasake, or almond/rice/oat milk, etc.

I know you are trying to "like" soy milk but you don't need to. Soy milk isn't any more necessary than cow milk. Unless you are a breakfast cereal executive........
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

i hated the taste of soya milk when i first tried it as well. that was about three years ago, and i can't say i like it that much now. i prefer rice milk on cereals such as muesli or cornflakes. soya milk is great in porridge and rice pudding though. i also tend to use it in savoury dishes because you can't really taste it like that anyway.

i bought myself a soya milk making machine about a year ago, and a ton of soya beans, but i can't get my homemade milk to taste anywhere near as nice as the carton stuff...i thought it'd save me money and cut down on packaging but the taste is really hard to get used to, despite all the extra ingredients i've tried putting in it. i have to use it though 'cos i've got so many soya beans to use up
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I believe you can add cocoa powder to the grain milks to flavor them with chocolate, or in the alternative, make or buy chocolate syrup and add it.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

i still don't like unsweetened soya milk much so i buy the one sweetened with apple juice. i love it now - but didn't for a long time. i'm amazed now that even the smell of cow's milk makes me feel quite nauseous. i cannot imagine drinking it!

i also bought a soya milk maker but it doesn't turn out very nice so i stick to shop-bought milk.

Ugh - the sight of cow milk in a jug turns my stomach. I wonder if the pus will eat through the plastic eventually.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Gorilla,

If you can make soy milk then you can easily make the sweetest tasting tofu you've ever had! I did not have any luck with soy milk either but instead make my own tofu. It is not difficult, especially once you have the milk (store bought won't work).
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote Dianecrna
    If you can make soy milk then you can easily make the sweetest tasting tofu you've ever had!
    Ah, but have you tasted Tofu Monster?

Anyway....

Perservere with the soya milk, there are lots of different brands, there should be one you like, or grow to like. There are also a whole host of alternative alternatives (! ) such as quinoa milk, oat milk, rice milk, pea protein, almond milk, and probably a few more besides, and it's good to get some variety besides soya. My cupboards are always stocked with several of the above, and I alternate.
    Vegans go all the way.

I'm not sure, but I don't believe he's very sweet - more of the savory type, I should think.

Quote Artichoke47
    Ugh - the sight of cow milk in a jug turns my stomach. I wonder if the pus will eat through the plastic eventually.
    I don't mean to pick at you Arti, but I wish you wouldn't be so vulgur. The idea of pus makes me want to vomit Milk isn't pus, it is the food for baby calves. It is just not human food, that is all .

Hmmm, gross but unfortunately true. Go to http://www.milksucks.com and you can read all about the "white cells" that are present in the unnaturally obtained cow's milk for human consumption.

OMG ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I will never crave yoghurt again Thanx 4 the link!

I don't really like the taste of plain soy milk so I use vanilla soy milk if I have cereal and I also use vanilla soy in my cooking (even when making a savoury dish).

All this talk of almond milk has aroused my curiosity though......perhaps I will have a look for it when I do the grocery shopping tomorrow.

Good luck, Roxy, hope you find it. I can only get the non-soya milk alternatives at the health shop, not at the ordinary supermarket. I know I am lucky to have a few health shops close by me so I can buy this stuff easily. If you can't find your almond milk, you will probably be able to make it quite easily, I should imagine.
    Vegans go all the way.

Soya milk tastes great with coffee - almost nutty. It's better with coffee than I ever remember cows milk tasting.

bjorn again veg

I found soy milk foul until I discovered no fat soy milk...
    Try Sanitarium So Good no fat or the 1% fat version, they are beaut & converted me from a total soy milk hater to someone who can drink it neat & on my brekkie...

I finally got around to buying a carton of that Blue Diamond Almond Milk. I got the vanilla one.

It's very very sweet and tastes sooooo good!

FR

Quote Roxy
    I finally got around to buying a carton of that Blue Diamond Almond Milk. I got the vanilla one.

It's very very sweet and tastes sooooo good!
    Yay!

And I found some Blue Diamond chocolate almond milk at Planet Organic, but I refrained from buying it; I don't want to get turned off my chocolate soymilk after I've made so much progress!
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Mmmmm Chocolate! Save-On-Foods only had plain and vanilla. Next time I'm at Choices, I'll have a look for the chocolate one. I can only imagine how rich and decadent it must be!!

In the supermarket where I shop I was struck up a convo with a shelf stacker one day and said why don't you stock my favourite soy milk BONSOY. She said well actually I'm the buyer for soy milk at this here store who trades the stuff. I told her and then they got in 6 pack of it every week and I bought as many as I could now some other buggers are buying em and the supermarket are buying in heaps, how cool is that?

Antony

v cool - you were clearly in the right place at the right time.

I love chocolate almond milk, sad thing is, it's not b12 fortified.

mango woman

Question Soy milk..

I love soy milk.. i could never just chug down a glass of calf food with a meal. Usually, i like to buy silk vanilla, but this time i opted for some westsoy nonfat vanilla. The silk i usually buy is refrigerated before i buy it, but the westsoy is shelf stable.. however it said to refrigerate after opening. I haven't noticed a difference in taste but i am curious of a few things. My questions are as follows:

Which has a higher nutritional value? Is there a difference?
    Should i be getting nonfat soy milk or am i missing out on "good" fat?

FR

Default Re: Soy milk..

If you are trying to lose weight, opt for the non-fat. If not, I would not deprive my body of good healty fat from soy.

Default Re: Soya milk

I like soy milk now! I bought some Vitasoy organic soymilk (the kind you buy from the shelf) to use in a cake recipe next week. I decided to try some straight up, and I loved it! And it's cheap, too! I hope they have this brand in Victoria, because I'm going to move back there next week.

Quote Yoggy
    I like soy milk now! I bought some Vitasoy organic soymilk (the kind you buy from the shelf) to use in a cake recipe next week. I decided to try some straight up, and I loved it! And it's cheap, too! I hope they have this brand in Victoria, because I'm going to move back there next week.
    Yeah if we have it on dairy-lovin' PEI, you're sure to get it in Victoria.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Sweet! :d

I buy the smaller 55p soya milks from Waitrose because its just me that uses it, and it goes off quite quickly compared to how often I use it!

Having never been the biggest fan of soya milk I have just bought some Alpro Soya Light out of curiosity and it is......FANTASTIC

For anyone else who's not too keen on the flavour of 'regular' soya milk I highly recommend it, there's no discernible aftertaste at all - I reckon I could get even get my mum to drink some in a cup of tea or coffee without noticing it wasn't anything other than cows milk
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Hmm interesting, I've been meaning to try that light stuff, will deffo give it a go now.

Got some rice milk in the fridge when I can convince myself to try it
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Rice milk is nice - a bit 'waterier' than Soya milk, but fine nevertheless

i thought that Alpro light had a bit of a weird taste, i prefer the ordinary one, and besides it's a lot cheaper!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Lol, with me it's the other way round!! (plus I only bought it to try as it was on at special price of 65p!!)

Quote Gorilla
    i thought that Alpro light had a bit of a weird taste, i prefer the ordinary one, and besides it's a lot cheaper!
    I didnt like it either. Very odd indeed.

I was reading the ingredients on soya milk today- why do some have apple juice in them...?!

The apple juice is used as a sweetener I believe

Quote Poison Ivy
    The apple juice is used as a sweetener I believe
    Ok thankyou
    I suspected it would be something like that.
    It doesn't taste like apples does it??

I've never had any that have tasted appley, don't know what anyone else thinks??!

i don't think bought soya milk sweetened with apple juice tastes appley, but when i made my own and used apple juice in it i could really taste it. i don't know what they do to commercial soya milk but it tastes so different from homemade.

Hmm well thats ok, I don't really like apple juice, and certainly don't want apple soya milk!?

I'm sure I must have had some without realising.
    Its just I've been buying pretty much the same milk since I went vegan-
    and then when I was in rome I found some soya milk but it was the proper stuff- just soya beans and water and I really didn't like it on my cereal!
    So does soya milk come either as
    1.soya beans and water
    2. soya benas and water and loads of other things (but is unsweetened?)
    3. soya beans and water and apple juice
    4. soya beans and water and something else to make it sweetened?

I've been vegan for almost 9 months, how am I confused NOW!?

i'm not entirely sure myself i think Alpro use raw cane sugar in their sweetened variety. i don't know what they use in their 'light' variety because i think it says it's unsweetened, but it has a bit of a sickly vanilla-ish taste IMO. supermarket own-brand soya milk often contains apple juice. non-organic soya milks usually contain added calcium and vitamins, but i think organic ones aren't allowed to be fortified.

there are so many different brands and varieties out there now, who'd have thought it?! i chopped and changed quite a bit to start with but now i tend to stick to the same type so i know i like it, i've tried some really nasty ones!

Thankyou
    I do usually stick to either Waitrose unsweetened small cartons, or Alpro Soya/ So Good unsweetened.
    Just what with being on holiday and going to new shops I have tried some (not so nice) varieties!

I've always been used to sugar on cereals and in tea, so I find the Alpro sweetened (with apple juice) to be a good alternative. I would imagine this is a far more natural and healthy sugar to ingest, and you can't taste the apple. They do a range of soya + fruit which has a far higher amount of apple in it, but that's just a drink.

Of course if you don't have a sweet tooth, then the unsweetened stuff is fine

Small carton of strawberry soya milk plus vodka is good - good substitute for those alcoholic milk drinks. Looks a bit odd being white and not pink, but you can't have everything, and it tastes the part
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

tcaseybrennan

Default Re: Soy vs. Soya

[quote=ay_runner_22]"Poor animals..." -- T. Casey Brennan quote]

New page on me & podcast interview at:

annarboralive.com/A3Radio/Hydro/scripts.html

Not soya milk but wanted to ask who has tried Rice Dream Hazelnut and almond? I love it in porridge, i have to dilute it with water as it is very sweet but you dont need to add sugar or jam to your porridge.

I love this on cereals, so sweet (I have a serious sweet tooth) Also like it as a drink on its own. I don't get it too often though, as it's a bit pricey compared to soya milk.
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

Yes it is expensive. I have just ordered a box, think it has 12 in from a lady who owns a small shop so i will pay the price she gets it at Think i payed £1.89 for it in H&B at the weekend