Thread: Kale = Enegry ... and more :-)

Smile Kale = Enegry ... and more :-)

Kale is my #1 vegetable and after my learning lesson I will never be without it ever again! My daily consumption (only raw) is anywhere from as little as 1 cup up to 1/2 a bunch (not sure how many cups this equals to). About a month ago I inadvertently did a kale experiment. I stopped consuming kale completely for 2 weeks. Within days I was feeling fatigued an no longer had the energy I use to. I was in denial that my lack of energy was due to kale but I kept going without it. At the end of 2 weeks I couldn't take it anymore and started eating kale again. Within days I was once again energized and was feeling back to myself again. It was amazing!

Not only does kale help with my energy, it surprisingly helps with my emotional and mental disposition. I find that I am able to handle stress better, it alleviates depression and has greatly helped my monthly pms. I would have never imagined that consuming kale daily could effect me in such a positive way in so many areas, but it does!

I wanted to share my experience with everyone that my be curious about kale. If kale does for others what it does for me, let me tell you, it will be a godsend!

My favorite kale salad is really simple.

Ingredients
    1/2 bunch kale
    1/2 - 1 avocado (amount is personal preference)
    1/2 lemon (juice only)
    1 garlic (minced)
    1 - 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (as wet as you want it)
    pinch of salt

Directions
    Rip kale into tiny pieces (I use my hands, never a knife). Add the remaining ingredients and massage with your hand to mix thoroughly. And that's it ... Enjoy

Last edited by MissKat; Apr 1st, 2013 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Needed to correct something.

Default Re: Kale = Enegry ... and more :-)

So, I googled Kale and the first thing that popped up was this: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/l...ing_else_.html

I thought I'd share it because it's so comical.

I've tried kale before and didn't like it. I'm not big on salads. I know I should eat more leafy greens but I have a hard time eating anything beyond Romaine.

I hate kale. HOWEVER - I buy it sometimes, use it in stir frys or salads, juice it, and I'm willing to keep trying different ways of preparing it until I find a way that I enjoy.
    I definitely think leafy greens are a great source of energy! I'm glad they are making you feel so awesome~!

I feel the same way you do about kale as spinach. Love spinach.

Any recommendations on kale chip recipes? I have never made them but want to!

I'm with the 'Kale is King' crew!

That, spinach and chard all have some kinda rocket-fuel property lurkin' about in their leaves.

Adding either to fruit smoothies is the trick for those who want the benefits but dont like how the super-greens taste on their own.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Astrid660 View Post

I think that you just need a dehydrator to make kale chips Astrid.

I bought some from a health food shop once. Blurdy luvverly, they were!

So far as i could work out the 'recipe' was simply to coat the raw kale with whatever you like (mine seemed to have been coated with a cashew and wassabe paste) and pop the lot in a dehydrator.

I would expect there is a bit of an art in getting the balance of leaf to coating right though.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

The commercial kale chips are done in dehydrators but you're supposed to be able to do them in the oven too - think there's a recipe on the forum somewhere and others elsewhere eg http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/kale-chips/ I have tried a few times and they've been either burnt or limp but maybe the kale wasn't dry enough or something

Quote Astrid660 View Post
    I hate kale. HOWEVER - I buy it sometimes, use it in stir frys or salads, juice it, and I'm willing to keep trying different ways of preparing it until I find a way that I enjoy.
    I definitely think leafy greens are a great source of energy! I'm glad they are making you feel so awesome~!

I feel the same way you do about kale as spinach. Love spinach.

I haven't made kale chips in over a year (don't eat kale cooked anymore) so my memory is kind of vague, but I used an oven. I *think* the oven temp was 350 and approximately 10 minutes on each side (check every 5 minutes so it doesn't burn). Once the side up was crispy looking I would flip them over ... definitely a hassle ... the dehydrator method sounds waaaaaay better, but unfortunately I still don't have one. Anyway, I ripped the kale into big pieces (because it shrinks) and dried them with paper towels. Then I added extra virgin olive oil with a pinch of salt (of course you can leave out the salt), mixed with my hand, spread it out on a baking sheet and popped into the oven. Make sure to check every 5 minutes and proceed accordingly.

Hope this helps. Any questions just let me know

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    I'm with the 'Kale is King' crew!

That, spinach and chard all have some kinda rocket-fuel property lurkin' about in their leaves.

Adding either to fruit smoothies is the trick for those who want the benefits but dont like how the super-greens taste on their own.
    Oh yea super-greens in fruit smoothies is awesome and an excellent way to start the day!
    Be the change you want to see in the world.
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi