Thread: Weight loss issue on vegan diet

Default Weight loss issue on vegan diet

Hi all. I've been vegan since July 2012. I absolutely love it and I'm so glad I finally made the commitment. However, I've lost about 15 lbs in the last 9 months. I'm 5'3" and currently weigh 110 lbs. While most women wouldn't complain about this, none of my clothes fit! I'm a little worried my diet is lacking in something, so I've come here for some advice from people who have been vegan longer than I have I take a supplement (DEVA Vegan Multivitamin & Mineral - One Daily) every day just for kicks. For breakfast I usually eat almond yogurt, homemade granola and fruit. Lunch and snacks vary (usually leftovers). I eat tofu/tempeh most days in my dinner, which usually has quinoa or brown rice, veggies, etc. unless I make something special. I eat pasta a couple of times a week because I love it. I use nutritional yeast in a few things a week. I drink almond milk mostly, and juice my own veggies/fruits half of the week. Sorry for the diet spillage, but I figured I'd need to give you an idea of what I eat. Any advice from people would be great! I'm not sure if I'm lacking in protein, fat, etc. I've read Vegan for Life and tried mapping out my nutrients, but they seem to be ok...Thanks a bunch!

Default Re: Weight loss issue on vegan diet

If you're losing weight then you're not eating enough calories, simple as that.

If you are eating enough calories and still losing weight then you need to see a doctor.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Sounds like your diet is fine, regards variation. How much do you eat a day? Like how many meals, how big, etc. Like Risker, I also think it could be that you might not be eating enough.

You can go to http://caloriecount.about.com. You can use the tools there to find out how many calories you naturally burn in a day. So if you wanted to remain at a certain weight or gain weight you'd make sure you at that amount or more every day. They also have tools to tell you how many calories are in food items and you can track what you eat. A lot of people use the site to lose weight but there are also many people who use the site to gain weight as well. It's free for the basic services although they do offer premium services for a price. I wouldn't bother with paying for anything though. You can get what you need just by using the free tools.

Quote Risker View Post

If you are eating enough calories and still losing weight then you need to see a doctor.
    Man! I hate it when they say say see a Doctor..

Quote The Mighty Bosh View Post

Man! I hate it when they say say see a Doctor..
    We all have to go to the doctor sometimes...
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Risker View Post

I don't think that's true unless you're continuing to lose weight. You might lose weight initially, and then settle at your ideal weight. Your ideal weight being what your body thinks is right, and not what you/society thinks is right. If you're still losing weight, maybe you just need to eat more. Use some online calorie calculators to see roughly how many calories you eat a day. That should give you an idea if you're eating enough. From your brief description I'd say you aren't eating enough calories, although it's difficult to tell for sure. None of your meals seems more than 300-400 calories, so that's 900-1200 in total, which is too low.

When I first went vegan in February 2011 I lost six pounds very quickly. I was already a bit underweight (for other reasons) so it was a concern for me. It took my body some time to adjust to a new way of eating and for me to not see my diet as a vegan way of replicating what I ate before. I did need to increase calories substantially in order to stop losing and to start gaining, especially since I was and am very active, and I did not need to eat junk food to do it. It took over a year to gain six pounds back (I have other issues with body weight and food) but I had an awesome time going through cookbooks and experimenting with different food and creating some beautiful meals. Things like sweet potatoes, beans (lentils, black beans, kidney beans, great northern etc), nuts/seeds, coconut milk, a variety of grains (bulgur, millet, buckwheat groats, oats, spelt etc), homemade breads with sesame seeds added, healthy desserts such as avocado chocolate pudding or peach crisp all helped me get needed calories. There is one breakfast that is high calorie but not too filling I would do. I would blend raw buckwheat groats, a banana, fresh berries, walnut, and just a splash of homemade almond milk (any plant milk will do; soy milk has a higher protein and fat content fyi) for a creamy porridge. 1/2 cup of raw buckwheat groats alone has about 300 calories. I expermented with global cuisines such as Mexican, Italian, Eastern Indian and African dishes (ever try Sweet potato peanut butter spicy soup with vegetables; or aloo gobi with potatoes, chickpeas, cauliflower, carrots, onion, coconut milk, curry and spices)? You can bulk up just about any meal, or add homemade smoothies as a drink on the side or between meals instead of plant milk or water. I discovered that red lentils and cooked bulgur added to tomato sauce with fresh tomatoes, zuchini, onion, and spices and a little tomato paste makes a very nice whole wheat spaghetti sauce and adds nutrition. I also added snacks between meals, simple foods like fresh fruits or homemade bars or a handful of nuts.
    Any weight I gain or lose now is generally under my control although I do have hypothyroidism and when it is not balanced with my medication my weight can drop or gain a few lbs with no changes. I struggle with other issues so I can't say that I successfully maintain a healthy weight at this point to be fair but for a while I was quite healthy by eating more and not limiting myself too much. I used to be very strict about what I would allow myself to eat but have relaxed a bit since then and opened my mind to more foods on the vegan table.

My sister is having a similar problem. She is not totally vegan but went vegetarian and almost vegan since last summer and she went from 174 lbs to currently 118 lbs at 5'4". She does not want to lose anymore weight either and is scared. She is nowhere near as active as I am so we can't figure it out yet. I haven't had time to work with her and see what she is eating but I suspect she isn't eating enough either. She eats a lot of salads and does not cook much. Her face looks gaunt and I know that she is beyond her natural set point. She used to eat a ton of junk and a lot of cheese and dairy so I suspect it is just going to take a while longer for her body to adjust.

I would agree with the above poster that your calories for the day are quite low.

Quote Robinwomb View Post
    I discovered that red lentils and cooked bulgur added to tomato sauce with fresh tomatoes, zuchini, onion, and spices and a little tomato paste makes a very nice whole wheat spaghetti sauce.
    This sounds good, and very simple. Must try it

And Sara, I too lost weight on going vegan, though I only eat small meals due to a medical condition. But I do small and often.

During the week I eat good healthy food, and then at weekends, I bake. Cakes, biscuits and puddings. Last night I had apple crumble and almond milk custard, today I made clementine spiced biscuits (so easy) and I've stuffed my little face (3 of them, which for me is well piggy).

I find I sometimes crave marg and sugar, thus the biscuit making. It must be something in the fat, so I indulge.

I would maybe eat a few high calorie snacks (nuts maybe) and a higher calorie diet and see if you level off. If not, doctor it must be.

Hope you get it sorted.

I'm also 5'3" and initially lost around 20 pounds (which wasn't all bad as I was a bit overweight), partly because I was so shocked and grieving the animal kingdom's losses that I couldn't eat for a couple of weeks... After a while, I recovered from the initial distress and became happier and really got into the food, and put nearly all of it back on! I'm now a good weight, but still a bit "squishy" around the middle as I tend to eat too many oven chips and the like! But rather than decrease my food, I'm just increasing my activity...

It's all about making sure your intake balances with your energy use. So in your case, as it's sounds like you've got the variation right, it's just a case of not enough calories, and you need to either expend less energy (which is probably not ideal if you have an active job), or eat a little more. Then see what happens. If your weight stabilises and you're happy with that, leave it there, if you want to gain more, add a little more...

Bosh, what Risker said about seeing a doctor was valid point, in the sense that I think he meant it, ie. if you sort out your dietary intake and still lose weight it could be a symptom of an illness. Going to the doctor is not an admission of failure, and if Sara was concerned the doctor woud question her diet, a good thing to do is take along a chart to show nutritional needs can be well met on a vegan diet, like the one at greenleafy.org...

However, it sounds like you don't have any other symptoms so hopefully you should just be able to fix it with a tweak here or there.

Last edited by Peabrain; Apr 21st, 2013 at 08:02 PM.

I am to Vegans what Harold Bishop is to Veggies...

I am to Vegans what Harold Bishop is to Veggies...
    Emmm okay...
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Emmm okay...
    Harold Bishop was a charecter on an Australian Soap Opera that was popular in the UK, he was Veggitarian in the soap and Very fat.

Harold Bishop was a charecter on an Australian Soap Opera that was popular in the UK, he was Veggitarian in the soap and Very fat.
    Bosh, are you saying you're a portly gentleman? I totally did not get that joke... I thought you might be trolling or something (sorry)...

At least you didn't go missing at Sea, then come back as an omni, try to strangle Paul Robinson to death, then return to previous character inclusive of Tuba playing and chin wobbling.

For some reason I thought that you were talking about Harold Shipman! http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Shipman

But I have never watched Neighbours, I always get it and Home & Away mixed up!
    Houmous atá ann!

i too have a big problem with weight loss since i have been a vegan, i have read through this thread looking for answers. i am about 99 pounds or less and 5ft small.
    i do loads of power walking which i will have to cut down. as has been mentioned in this thread it could be i am using up alot of energy and not eating enough. i do try to eat a little more but i have to be very careful as i am prone to gastritus which for me can be brought on by overfilling my stomach. i could never stop being a vegan but i am so thin i feel embarrassed about my body and i dont make a good advert for veganisum. i also think i probably have a very fast metabolism. i should be pleased that i can eat anything and in any quantity. i love avocados and i think they are full of calories so might add more of them to diet. if anyone has any other ideas for getting more calories i would appreciate it. thanks
    Peace of mind begins when we stop thinking about how far we have to go, or how hard the road has been, and just let ourselves feel peace.

Quote crocus View Post
    i too have a big problem with weight loss since i have been a vegan, i have read through this thread looking for answers. i am about 99 pounds or less and 5ft small.
    i do loads of power walking which i will have to cut down. as has been mentioned in this thread it could be i am using up alot of energy and not eating enough. i do try to eat a little more but i have to be very careful as i am prone to gastritus which for me can be brought on by overfilling my stomach. i could never stop being a vegan but i am so thin i feel embarrassed about my body and i dont make a good advert for veganisum. i also think i probably have a very fast metabolism. i should be pleased that i can eat anything and in any quantity. i love avocados and i think they are full of calories so might add more of them to diet. if anyone has any other ideas for getting more calories i would appreciate it. thanks
    I went from 92 lbs at 5'5.5" last year to 114 lbs this year as a vegan. I did have to eat quite a bit to gain weight but it wasn't hard. I eat four or five meals a day instead of three but they are not huge meals because I don't like to eat a ton at once. Here are some ideas for more calorific foods:

dried dates or figs (one fig is about 45 calories and one medjool date is 40 calories and you can eat quite a few of them before getting full)

peanut butter, almond butter, sunflower butter, cashew butter, tahini (for hummus)

homemade hummus or homemade vegan mayonnaise (I like this recipe: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2013...an-mayonnaise/)

avocado (use to make pesto or guacamole or slice with tomato in a sandwich or blend with a banana, cocoa powder, and maple syrup for a chocolate pudding or frosting)

homemade bread (you can add sesame seeds to it or molasses or other ingredients to make it richer)

Spaghetti sauce using tomato sauce, tomato paste, cooked bulgur wheat or quinoa, red lentils, vegetables and pour over pasta

almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, cashews

Cashew or alfredo sauce

Increase servings of beans/legumes. I used to limit myself to 1/2 cup servings of beans but now sometimes eat up to 1 cup at a time which provides significant protein, calcium, iron, and fiber. If you don't think you can stomach that, make a bean dip in your blender or food processer and spread it over bread or on veggies or fruits etc. Bean dips and vegan refried beans are more dense and therefore more calorific per 1/2 cup.

smoothies with bananas, other fruits, vegan protein powder, chia seeds or flax seeds, leafy greens, dates, even nut butter can be thrown in depending on the quality of your blender

Eat more calorie dense fruit like pears, bananas, pineapple

make homemade granola or energy bars. there are tons of vegan recipes for these online, and many are gluten free if that is an issue

Hope this helps.

thankyou robinwomb interesting user name you have there. theres a lot of good interesting information you have suggested which I have taken onboard. I am going to limit my exercise quite drastically for the time being, and I think if I can eat some high calorie snacks between meals and choose my meals for their high calorie content it should help. i have realised that i have tended to ignore my hunger as routine, but i am determined to be more focused in future. thanks again robinwomb
    Peace of mind begins when we stop thinking about how far we have to go, or how hard the road has been, and just let ourselves feel peace.

I am struggling to lose weight as a vegan, for my main meals I usually eat cooked veggies over couscous / quinoa or rice. Fruit make me bloated a lot so I avoid them, but I do need something sweet and end up having dried figs or other sweet stuff which do not cause me digestive issues. I am new to being a vegan just under year, so am still learning what is ok with my digestion.

I went to a vegan party the other day about 80 people turned up, I noted about 90% were overweight, I have seen one or two thin ones, but mostly overweight.

Could anyone who is thin or struggling to gain tell me honestly what they eat, everyone seems very cagey about it, and as a newbie I am finding it very hard to get advise, raw groups are open about their food, but my digestion can't take a lot of raw food, tried that and failed, and tried smoothies (for several months to see if my digestion would adapt) but always ended up looking pregnant, and had to wear very loose clothes.

Quote Hotmail View Post
    Could anyone who is thin or struggling to gain tell me honestly what they eat ...
    I'm 5'9" and weigh in at 168lb so I'm kinda 'trim' rather than 'thin'.

My diet is, and always has been, entirely veganised versions of omni classics.

I have mince with onions and mashed potatoes, stir fries, curries, full blown roast dinners, casseroles, fried breakfasts, spag-bol, chili non-carne, amongst my regular staples. Plenty of crisps, sandwiches and instant noodles for snacking also.

Courtesy of an inferno like metabolism I can eat like a horse with very little weight fluctuation.

I think the high metabolism comes from having done long periods of intense physical excercise in the past though. That now seems residual even if I ditch the exercise altogether for months on end, years even.

My girl freind is the opposite, mind.

She has a residual weight problem from a lifetime of salad dodging and cake chasing. She's eaten, as I have, for about 7 years now. Mouse like portions in comparison to mine. Weight loss, yes, but very gradual.

Recently she started training with me though (she does 2 sessions totalling about 3 hours of Karate weekly) and her weight loss has noticeably accelerated.

My personal opinion is that increased metabolism is the key to weight loss and the key to increased metabolism is intense regular exercise.

That and never starve the body. If you starve the body it responds by increasing it's mechanism for fat reserve retention.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

hi Hotmail I am still struggling to gain any weight but have put on 1 pound which gives me hope. for breakfast I have either cornflakes, shredded wheat or porridge with a vegan milk a little dried fruit and nuts. mid morning usually a banana. lunch time I have a sandwich with either tahini or advocado maybe a few nuts and salad. mid-afternoon a couple of biscuits. dinner is either rice, quinoa or cous-cous with veg and beans of some sort. through out the day I have some vegan milk drinks. don't normally eat any more after my dinner. occasionally I like to have home made chips and pulse for dinner. I walk a lot but I have cut down on this as I was walking too much for someone who wants to gain weight. I cannot eat very large meals, and usually stop eating before I am full because that can give me gastritis. I also have the odd bar of vegan chocolate. I eat as much as I can but its never enough. I believe I do have a fast metabolism. I am no couch potato and like to be busy through out the day. I hope this helps

Thanks Clueless and Crocus. Clueless thanks for the information about you and your gf, the difference is very interesting, and so unfair lol
    Crocus, are you male or female? age approx? My dinner seems very similar to yours, but I don't eat sandwiches, what do you put in your sandwiches? Just Salad?

Also activity seems a key, I do love walking and being active, try to exercise / walk/ dance whenever I can, but I have a desk job in front of a PC for about 10 hours a day, so very restrictive.

I have lost weight before doing juicing, but weight comes back on quick, so I prefer to eat normally, healthily without having to worry about having a very special low calorie or liquid diet.

Honestly I am trying to just maintain right now (5'5.5" and 111-114 lbs) as I have a terrible fear of weight gain but don't want to lose any weight due to suffering with osteoporosis. In my first post I was working on gaining from a low weight and second post was arriving at a healthy weight. Now I am maintaining though technically I could go higher and be fine.

typical breakfasts for me:

chickpea flour omelet with salsa and leafy green tucked inside

oatmeal (3/4 cup dry so 1.5 cups cooked), berries, and stevia or no sweetener at all

Two whole wheat toasts topped with fat free refried beans or some other bean; orange or other fruit on the side

large smoothie with pea protein powder or chia seeds (two T), two to three cups packed leafy green, frozen banana, and some other fruit, usually berries; sometimes a splash of plant milk or flax seed in there

Sauteed cubed tempeh, fresh pineapple, leafy green and spices

Tofu pudding (tofu blended with pure cocoa powder and banana and stevia) *I use an entire block of silken tofu or a half a block of regular firm tofu per meal for myself

typical lunchs:

bean and vegetable soups (2 cups); homemade bran muffin on side

salad with beans or nuts, vegetables, sometimes fruits in there, and either a light homemade tahini dressing or I use fruit or beets as a sort of "dressing"; if no nuts in salad, will often have a small handful of almonds on the side

pumpkin/sweet potato, black beans, kale all combined with chopped kale in there and spices (curry and cinnamon usually)

snacks are stuff like plain sweet potato steamed with spices; banana and pumpkin mixed together; vegan yogurts and a plain slice of homemade whole wheat bread or tortilla with; handful of almonds; fresh fruit; almond milk and fresh dates or figs; homemade energy bars (bean based)

dinners vary considerably. Last night I had couscous, chickpeas, and stir fried vegetables (cauliflower, snow peas, carrots, red pepper in water not oil) and almond milk as my beverage

Tonight I am making socca, garden salad with chia seeds in it, and hummus (which I am actually making for a party but plan to make extra to put in the salad) and of course almond milk to drink

I am 42 years old, female, moderately active (1 to 1.5 hours exercise five days a week including cardio, stretching/yoga, and free weights/calisthenics; in summer I also cycle everywhere including work five days a week April to October). However, I have had lifelong hypothyroidism since the age of 16 and have been in surgical menopause since I was 33 years old so I do not have as fast of a metabolism as I once did, hence why I am so careful now. My body fat is much lower at this weight being so active than it was years ago at this weight when I was less active as my pants size now is two sizes lower than it was then and I have more muscle. But I also went through a period of profound bingeing when I was a very low weight and this caused me to pile on more fat which took a long time to regulate and control. I have to work very hard to maintain where I am whereas when I was in my twenties it would not have been an issue. It means I do not eat a lot of processed food or sugar/flour etc but occasionally I allow myself treats so that I do not end up getting too restrictive and start bingeing again. It's a fine line because sometimes sweets or high fat foods like nut/peanut butters trigger binges but others like almonds don't. I think it is the mindset I am in too. I am not the healthiest example to go by since I have struggled with anorexia and now EDNOS for a very long time. I am probably physically the healthiest I have been in six years but mentally I am a work in progress and I could still eat a hundred more calories a day and be ok but like I said I am very cautious. I know I am going too low when I start straining myself at the gym and I generally increase calories in the way of increased protein (extra beans or an extra serving of a high protein grain like wild rice or quinoa or some tofu etc).

Hotmail.....I am a o.a.p and retired now and in my 6th decade. I am not a very foodie person so there fore I am not very imaginative when it comes to eating. I tend to eat the same things every week and I must try harder there.
    in my sandwiches I have nut butters and advocado mostly. do you not like bread? I think its a good idea that you don't go on a Diet as such because then you feel more restricted and that you are depriving yourself. I think my diet is more suited to someone who wants to lose weight.
    its a good idea for you to fill up on watery vegetables and have slightly less carbs with your meals.
    when I first became a vegan about 4 years ago I was sent to see a dietician because i was unwell with a mystery illness. I had written down everything I had eaten in the past week before I saw her. she said my diet was nutritionally sound but she noticed I had no treats so I started having a couple of bicsuits. lol. hope all goes well for you.