Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Raymond Blanc saga

Default My Raymond Blanc saga

Hi
    Well...yet another 'dining out as a Vegan' disaster.

In brief ..a big dinner party/farewell do was arranged from work for 25 of us. It was decided that as it was a big occasion we would pull out the stops and go to Raymond Blanc restaurant for a treat. The booking was made and the menu circulated. Predictably nothing for me on there at all. So I rang in advance of the day to see what food could be arranged for me. I was pleasantly surprised when I spoke to the receptionist and she put me immediately through to the chef. He patiently took me through the menu working out what he could adapt and what he could create for me. He assured me that they catered for 'all sorts' and that he regularly had Vegans dining in the restaurant.

So I hit the restaurant in fairly confident manner being assured of a risotto starter, and a non-egg pasta creation with a Vegan sauce,mushrooms, tomatos, walnuts etc. He assured me he would find an acceptable dessert for me and to leave it with him.

The first course was largely a success, a very tiny but very pretty risotto arrived and was consumed.

As the main courses started to be dispatched I noticed that mine was strangely absent. I waited, and waited, and waited some more by which time all the other diners were half way through their meal but the waitress assured me that 'chef was working on it'. It then arrived.

I was presented with a very LARGE bowl packed with pasta shells in tomato sauce no concession to imagination or taste in sight. I handed it back to the waitress remarking that it was devoid of walnuts or..well anything really. She scowled and glared and remarked that 'chef had been very inventive and there was no Vegan cheese' I told her that I had not been promised cheese, did not expect cheese but would like something superior to what I could knock up for lunch at home.!

She took the plate away and was gone another fifteen minutes by which time every one of the party had finished eating. My plate returned along with a stony faced waitress. It was the same pasta with one mushroom cut in quarters poked into it and three thin apple slices. She then returned and slammed down a pot of broken walnut pieces and said 'you wanted walnuts'.

I gobbled up my pasta quickly aware that everyone had now finished. While attempting to eat without causing too much of a hold up I then faced a barrage of questions about Vegans including a classic comment whispered loudly 'cant she even eat the ham hock then?'

Dessert arrived for the rest of the party in the form of elaborate fondant swirls and home made biscuits to ohhs and ahhs from everyone. Mine arrived last of course. Giant( and I mean giant) chunks of under ripe pineapple and melon decorated with two grapes. The fruit was hard and flavourless. My friend commented on 'the lovely dessert' they had gone to the trouble of preparing for me . I replied that I could not even cut it and was risking choking by putting chunks whole into my mouth and that reminding her that fruit is not much of a treat to people that eat fruit instead of meat anyway!!!!!!

I will not be throwing my money down that particular drain again.

Default Re: My Raymond Blanc saga

So, you drew a bit of a 'Blanc-été-Blanc' there then, my sweet?
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    So, you drew a bit of a 'Blanc-été-Blanc' there then, my sweet?
    Yep..I should have listened to you and not ventured outside of the asylum

Eileen,

be sure to give them a glowing review on their inventiveness on any review site you come across...

Best regards,
    Andy

aww, what a shame it spoiled your evening, I hope you didnt have to pay fancy pants prices for your very basic food!
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

Grr, how annoying for you. Are you going to write and tell them why you won't be going back?

Unfortunately I did have to pay full price as we had already 'paid up' in advance into a kitty which included drinks so I felt a bit churlish making a fuss !!

Secondly I will be 'waxing lyrically' about how unimpressed I was on their review site and any other site I get an opportunity to discredit them on!

AND ..thirdly I intend to write to them at length about my experience and if they offer me a complimentary meal voucher thank them kindly and ask if they could make it out to 'The Veggie Chef' instead !

Good idea about the meal voucher! Personally I might wait for their explanation (in case the chef you spoke to had been taken ill etc between your phonecall and the meal) before reviewing them on other websites, but maybe that's unduly charitable?

There are few things that bother me more than having to pay full price for a bad meal that I'm expected to be grateful for. Rather than just admit that they have limited cooking skills chefs like that blame us for being vegans and make us horrible food out of spite for hurting their feelings!
    Houmous atá ann!

Eileen and myself have been caught out on this before ..

As a treat we booked a decent hotel for a night having checked that they could cater for vegans in advance.

On arrival; No standard arrangements for vegans whatsoever and absolutey no effort to get anything vegan in for our arrival either. No non dairy mlk or 'butter'. No vegan options. Not even a chef on site when we booked in, as it happens!

All we got offered was "when chef turns up he will tell you what we have in our kitchen and you can tell him what you would like cooked from there", kinda thing.

I wuz mightily pissed that Eileen wouldn't let me bring down the fires of hell on them for that.

This is the problem, imho. Taking the P out of vegans is easy because vegans make it so.

By my book the first time anyone who wants the vegan dollar tries it on then they should immediately suffer an experience that they will NEVER want to repeat.
    Last edited by Clueless Git; Apr 3rd, 2013 at 11:17 AM.

That must have been so frustrating. Hell..How can people (chefs!?!?) not know how to prep a proper meal without butter or eggs, milk or meat?! Spices, people.. it's not that hard....... :|

Quote Blueberries View Post
    There are few things that bother me more than having to pay full price for a bad meal that I'm expected to be grateful for. Rather than just admit that they have limited cooking skills chefs like that blame us for being vegans and make us horrible food out of spite for hurting their feelings!
    Answer to that is simple: NO GOOD = NO PAY!

I have just returned from a few days away in Shropshire. We went to Ludlow, food town, hmmmm. And I've had difficulties with chef and waitresses who don't get vegan.
    One hotel/pub said they could do me risotto which had cream in it, was that okay? Errr, like, no. And who puts cream in risotto anyway.
    Another we tried had tuna salad under the veggie options, that was enough for my (omni) hubby to drag me out of there (he hates the fish as veggie thing).
    We eventually ended up in a tapas restaurant, and I have to say, it was brilliant. The waitress and chef were ace. Understood veganism, catered for me, were the best. Not cheap but I'd rather that than any messing.
    Oh, other good experience, the hotel in Bishops Castle. Bar staff there enquired about food for me and were helpful too.
    This is why we always go self-catering.

Quote harpy View Post
    Good idea about the meal voucher! Personally I might wait for their explanation (in case the chef you spoke to had been taken ill etc between your phonecall and the meal) before reviewing them on other websites, but maybe that's unduly charitable?
    I always admire your even handedness on the forum (its a genuine compliment dont look for a punch line!!) and you got it about right too.

I wrote a long letter of complaint and the main body of the response is printed below. My email was responded to in half an hour, and allowing for the fact that she cannot risk bad publicity ( and that she is omni of course) I found this quite an acceptable response.

Thank you for your email following your visit to Brasserie Blanc

I very much regret to read of the disappointing experience you received on what should have been an enjoyable time and I would like to offer my apologies for us not meeting your expectations.

I have taken on board all of your comments and the lady you spoke to on the phone to is on holiday at the moment but from investigating on my side where it went wrong was bad communication between the managers and chef, which i apologize for.

we pride ourselves on good food and service and to cater for everyone and not a boring salad or fruit salad because of being vegan.

i Would like to thank you again for bringing these issues to our attention as we appreciate all forms of feedback.

I would like to invite you and a guest back in for a meal so i can show you what we can do and that we can cater for all requests

once again sorry for the disappointing food that we served you

Kind regards

Thanks Eileen - I only said that because I have had similar experiences with restaurants in the past (i.e. talk to someone on the phone who knows all about vegan food and then when you get there nobody's ever heard of it or you) ETA and (I meant to say) it always seems to boil down to lack of communication rather than bad faith on the part of the person you originally spoke to. Of course, lack of communication is a problem in itself.

She does sound genuinely apologetic - are you going to take her up on her offer? Hope you do as am dying to hear what happens

Good for you for pursuing it anyway.
    Last edited by harpy; Apr 19th, 2013 at 12:11 PM.

Quote harpy View Post
    Thanks Eileen - I only said that because I have had similar experiences with restaurants in the past (i.e. talk to someone on the phone who knows all about vegan food and then when you get there nobody's ever heard of it or you) ETA and (I meant to say) it always seems to boil down to lack of communication rather than bad faith on the part of the person you originally spoke to. Of course, lack of communication is a problem in itself.

She does sound genuinely apologetic - are you going to take her up on her offer? Hope you do as am dying to hear what happens

Good for you for pursuing it anyway.
    Yes I do intend to take full advantage of the offer and will be curious to see how they 'pull out all the stops' !!!! Will keep you posted.

Hurrah, can't wait to read about it! Can you still get that vegan caviar?

On a related theme, I have just been having a phone conversation with a Well-known Arts Venue about whether they could make a vegan picnic - that was quite interesting as well, as the woman, though eager to oblige, had no idea what some of the food on their menu was (I had to break the news that Taleggio is a type of cheese, for example). She is going to talk to the chef, but the last time I spoke to one of their chefs the conversation began "Can you eat crab?" I think I may end up taking my own picnic, which is kewl actually.

Harpy, is crab not vegan then
    Amazing eh!
    And Eileen, do let us know how you get on. Is Brasserie Blanc in MK? One place for me to avoid when I come over.
    I must get to Veggie World, but we tend to always end up at MiiandU

Little update ...

We celebrated Eileen's birthday at the "nothing on the menu is labelled as vegan because everything on the menu is 100% vegan" 222 Restaurant in Kensington yesterday.

Loosely the plan (my plan) is to take one of 222's menus to Raymond Blancs and say something like "Here is a menu prepared by a proper chef. It's a present for your cook."

Eileen has a slightly different plan though, I think. A plan wherein she will take someone more appreciative of pasta shells in tomato sauce than I to Raymond Blancs and leave me safely at home

Little update ...

We celebrated Eileen's birthday at the "nothing on the menu is labelled as vegan because everything on the menu is 100% vegan" 222 Restaurant in Kensington yesterday.
    Very nice What did you have?
    Houmous atá ann!

Little update ...

That looks rather good. Will have to go there.
    Did you go for the 'all you can eat' menu?

Quote micthemini View Post
    Harpy, is crab not vegan then
    See me after class! 222 is great, and it's my local in a manner of speaking - would be even better if was local-er though

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Very nice What did you have?
    I had these two dishes ...

Hearts Desire

Specially selected artichoke hearts sautéed with fresh aromatic herbs served on a bed of rocket leaves with a roasted pepper sauce.

Oyster Mushroom & Spinach Raclette

An original combination of spinach and tofu cottage cheese on a bed of roast potatoes, topped with sautéed oyster mushrooms and a light creamy sauce.
    Eileen had these ...

Lentil Peak

A Mediterranean-style dish with oven-baked ripe tomatoes stuffed and topped with seasoned green lentils. Served with leek and carrot.

Vegan Roast

Hearty vegetarian roast with potato and parsnip mash laced with fragrant herbs. Served with onion gravy and steamed french beans.
    - - - Updated - - -

That looks rather good. Will have to go there.
    Did you go for the 'all you can eat' menu?
    I didn't know there was 'an all you can eat' option there, mic.

If you do go there be aware that it is a bit of a 'Bear Garden' ambience wise, mind. Crowded, cramped and VERY noisy.

Defo worth a visit though!

We got absolutely stuffed to the gills, including a couple of drinks each, for just £50.00 including a 10% tip.

Eileen has a slightly different plan though, I think. A plan wherein she will take someone more appreciative of pasta shells in tomato sauce than I to Raymond Blancs and leave me safely at home
    Firstly...you are not safe anywhere thats just establish that.

Secondly..I will be taking you. This is my battle and I have no intention of losing the day. I therefore intend to be armed to the teeth and flanked by my best men.

Good plan, Eileen! Let's hope they get it right this time, but if they don't I'm sure they will the time after

222 has an all-you-can-eat buffet at lunchtime, but table service in the evening. Both seem very good value, especially for a place that's so central. ETA it isn't always crowded but it's advisable to book anyway.

I'd hope that they can provide you with better food than 222 to be honest.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Well, I do like the food at 222 but I suppose it's not "haute cuisine" of the kind you'd hope for from the likes of M Blanc. The prices aren't comparable either, I don't suppose.

Loosely the plan (my plan) is to take one of 222's menus to Raymond Blancs and say something like "Here is a menu prepared by a proper chef. It's a present for your cook."
    Haha! Oh how I would like to be a fly on that wall...

- - - Updated - - -

P.S... I just gotta try 222!

I have had great meals at rinky-dink places and disappointment at 5*, all depends on the chef.

But, watch out kitchen: I march straight in and in a friendly loud voice announce, "hello chef!"
    Whoever answers, I approach. If it was a sub-par meal, I speak holding my (uneaten) plate; if above average, just a quick word of thanks in front of all staff.
    Gotta put a face on special orders.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Good one Pat!

Do you really go into the kitchens, Pat? It would be interesting to try that here, where I think there is supposed to be an invisible electric fence at the entrance to the kitchen which customers can't cross. Still there's a first time for everything!

At 222 the chef is quite often wandering around the restaurant anyway so it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Have done all over London. Worked in kitchens so I know.

Front-of-house staff, deliveries, management etc all waltz in. If you act like you know what you are doing (head up, march), no one objects. Works for cockpits too but that's off-topic.

I must try it, though it will probably take me about 1,000 years to get psyched up.

What, they're just a bunch of tattooed guys with knives and open flames...?

Quote pat sommer View Post
    I have had great meals at rinky-dink places and disappointment at 5*, all depends on the chef.

But, watch out kitchen: I march straight in and in a friendly loud voice announce, "hello chef!"
    Whoever answers, I approach. If it was a sub-par meal, I speak holding my (uneaten) plate; if above average, just a quick word of thanks in front of all staff.
    Gotta put a face on special orders.
    I wish this forum had a like or thanks button! Hats off to you Pat. After my companion was charged full price for a three course meal when I was given a pile of wilted rocket in some swanky place I have despaired of upmarket restaurants. he however was mildly amused by the pretentiousness of it all and paid! I was seething.

Eileen, do keep us posted on this saga, if anyone deserves a nice meal out for a treat it is you - well I expect all of us do really X
    Last edited by Gattona; Jan 16th, 2015 at 11:55 PM.

Quote pat sommer View Post
    What, they're just a bunch of tattooed guys with knives and open flames...?

Gattona, it's more difficult to make a fuss when someone else is paying isn't it? Some people do though!

i tend to eat before going out, and then spend the money on fancy pants
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

Quote tickled onion View Post
    i tend to eat before going out, and then spend the money on fancy pants
    Me too.

Not currently a vegan

Working as a chef in my past, I know they are usually more comfortable coming up with a vegetarian meal that isn't vegan. They are used to butter, cream, and cheese and usually know what to do with these ingredients. I never had problems with vegetarians or vegans because I was a vegetarian/vegan; unusual for a gourmet chef. I used to work for a wine distributor, and they threw a party at one of the best hotels. I asked for vegetarian because I knew the chef would be more comfortable. A special night...I had 7 courses of some of the best vegetarian food ever. I compromised veganism for a night out with friends and co-workers. The world didn't come to an end. I rarely eat out, but if I do it is always with my wife and close friends. If I'm going out to spend good money, I'm going out in style. Most establishments have great vegetarian choices without special treatment. Vegan is another issue. Going out with family and/or friends is about sharing and having fun for me, not about making a spiritual, political, ethical statement. Okay, I understand perfectly if one doesn't want to compromise; I honor this. Let me say this: You more than fulfilled your responsibility by calling ahead. I usually received requests spur of the moment. This chef was disrespectful and arrogant. I know the type, arrogant, and if you don't like their food the way they want to present it, then you are ungrateful. It's very easy to throw together a beautiful and delicious vegan pasta dish, nice vegan salad and soup, a philo pastry stuffed with wild mushrooms....but I have to admit, even for me vegan dessert is a challenge, but it would have been better than his! I would like to ask; is it so important to be a perfect vegan all the time? Families and friends are for sharing, laughter, having a good time. I'm not talking about everyday dining, but the occasional celebration. And if there is no compromise, then a big salad with olive oil/lemon dressing and some garlic toast. Any establishment can come up with this. I can get full on this if I get enough bread . So be it. I know a lot of people avoid religions that are too fundamental and forgiving. Maybe your family, friends, and associates see your veganism as fundamentalist and it scares them? Presently, I'm am very strict with no added oils, added sweeteners, and salt. I don't plan to go out until I've finished my commitment to this. If I'm in uncompromising mode, I'm not going to expose it to friends.

Hi rainwater, I think under the rules of the forum you have to be a full-time vegan or intending to become one to post.

What I don't get is that you talk about how eating out is about fun and sharing, you don't think it could be like that if you didn't compromise and just ate vegan food? If it's more about the company than the food then surely there is no need to eat animal products.
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote rainwater View Post
    Going out with family and/or friends is about sharing and having fun for me, not about making a spiritual, political, ethical statement
    it is for the rest of us, which is why Eileen didn't make a political statement, she called ahead, gave plenty of notice to a mediocre chef charging fancy pants prices to come up with more than a salad, we don't go out to fancy restaurants to get a salad.

The world may not have ended for you when you ate vegetarian, but a sentient creature will have suffered for that egg/cream/milk/cheese. If we compromise our beliefs when the going gets tough, then they aren't principles, it's a hobby, I for one will never compromise my beliefs so a chef doesnt have to work for my cash, and my family and friends know that and wouldn't expect me to.

Every person that provides a product or service will have critics. Chefs need to learn to deal with this because not everyone likes food a certain way. For example, if I order a veggie burger with no mustard and it comes with mustard, I'll send it back if I hate mustard because I didn't order it.

Cooking is an art, and artists REALLY need to learn to deal with criticism lol.

I also don't understand why come to a VEGAN forum to talk about going out and eating vegetarian, and it being A-OK!

Quote Cacique View Post
    I also don't understand why come to a VEGAN forum to talk about going out and eating vegetarian, and it being A-OK!
    Because SOMEONE has to be the vegan that eats cheese we all hear about.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

It used be quite hard to get vegetarian food in omnivorous restaurants and the reason that's changed is that vegetarians politely but firmly kept asking for vegetarian food. The implication for vegans seems clear.

Quote Peabrain View Post
    Haha! Oh how I would like to be a fly on that wall...
    Well PB..drag yourself away from the cowpats, dust down your wings and buzz off to Raymond Blancs because the Vegans are coming .. I am taking them up on their challenge to 'show us what they can do' sometime in the next two weeks now I am on the mend.

We will keep you posted

Quote Eileen Dover View Post
    ..the Vegans are coming .. I am taking them up on their challenge to 'show us what they can do' sometime in the next two weeks now I am on the mend.

We will keep you posted
    Go vegans! Please do keep us posted, I'd like to know how you get on championing the cause!
    Houmous atá ann!

Excellent, dying to hear the next episode Eileen.

On the plus side, the well-known arts venue I mentioned further up your thread did in fact manage to produce a picnic that seemed completely vegan and tasted nice (though if I were going to quibble I would say it was possibly a little low in protein .) So these things can work out even when places make heavy weather of it initially.

Quote rainwater View Post
    but I have to admit, even for me vegan dessert is a challenge, but it would have been better than his! I would like to ask; is it so important to be a perfect vegan all the time? Families and friends are for sharing, laughter, having a good time. I'm not talking about everyday dining, but the occasional celebration.
    See, for me, vegan dessert has to be an easy thing. The easiest thing to veganise has to be a crumble (though I've never made it non vegan as I always use vegan marg anyway) and you can tart crumbles up no end. Then you've got pies and tarts - pastry can easily be vegan, with some simple but lush fillings or toppings. It's just a matter of thinking. And if you really want simple, well tonight me and the Fatman had peaches baked in wine with chocolate on top, rich, simple, oh so easy. And those are just things off the top of my head, then you have the internet at your disposal - that is if you're prepared to commit to your customers.
    I'm not a 'perfect' vegan (who is perfect?), I'm just a vegan who likes to stick to my principles, and even if I was out with friends and family I would not (knowingly) eat non vegan food, no way.

The idea that vegan desserts are a challenge is a myth. Vegan dessert is definately easy when you know how!

There is a basic chocolate cake recipe that is just flour, sugar, vegetable oil, vinegar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, baking soda and water that I got from 'The Joy of Vegan Baking' that is the most divine cake ever. What I like about it is that it is approachable, it requires ingredients that non-vegan home bakers and definately professional bakers would have on hand, nothing special. I make it for every family occasion and everybody loves it.

My mam also makes me vegan apple crumble which is amazing, she just uses vegan margarine instead of butter to make the topping.
    Houmous atá ann!

See, for me, vegan dessert has to be an easy thing. The easiest thing to veganise has to be a crumble (though I've never made it non vegan as I always use vegan marg anyway) and you can tart crumbles up no end. Then you've got pies and tarts - pastry can easily be vegan, with some simple but lush fillings or toppings. It's just a matter of thinking. And if you really want simple, well tonight me and the Fatman had peaches baked in wine with chocolate on top, rich, simple, oh so easy. And those are just things off the top of my head, then you have the internet at your disposal - that is if you're prepared to commit to your customers.
    I'm not a 'perfect' vegan (who is perfect?), I'm just a vegan who likes to stick to my principles, and even if I was out with friends and family I would not (knowingly) eat non vegan food, no way.
    You're making my mouth water! Lol

All of those are pretty easy to make, since I've made pies pretty easily and I'm not that big of a chef. Out of all the cakes I've tried to make, chocolate cake is the easiest, all though making frosting can be a bit time consuming, more so than a pie lol. And snickerdoodle cookies are the easiest cookies I've found to make, haven't had any luck with chocolate chip cookies.