Thread: Raw Veggie Burger help needed please

Default Raw Veggie Burger help needed please

I want to make raw veggie burgers without nuts, but all the recipes I've found online require nuts. Does anyone know if I can substitute nuts with flax seed meal and whole flax seed? Anything else I could use to substitute?
    Be the change you want to see in the world.
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Default Re: Raw Veggie Burger help needed please

Is this the bulk off the burger or just binder? Give us a recipe or two to play with. Sunflower or pumpkin seeds acceptable?

Off the top of my head, sun-dried tomato is chewy and as a puree could bind other ing.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Quote pat sommer View Post
    Is this the bulk off the burger or just binder? Give us a recipe or two to play with. Sunflower or pumpkin seeds acceptable?

Off the top of my head, sun-dried tomato is chewy and as a puree could bind other ing.
    Sorry I forgot about seeds. My post should have stated without nuts or seeds. I don't know why, but I always think of sunflower & pumpkin seeds as nuts

Perhaps it's not possible to go w/out either a nut or seed. I'm new to raw, so I don't totally understand the purpose of nuts or seeds in a burger. But if I had to choose, I would prefer using raw sunflower seeds. Anyway, below are a couple of recipes.

Recipe with nuts & seeds ... http://www.sweetlyraw.com/2012/09/two-ways-with-raw-veggie-burgers.html

Raw Mushroom Veggie Burgers

2 cups button mushrooms, diced small
    2 cups grated carrots
    1 cup onion, finely chopped
    1 cup celery, finely chopped
    1 cup walnuts or pecans, soaked and ground in a food processor
    1/2 cup sunflower seeds, soaked and ground
    3/4 cup ground flax seeds
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup tamari
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2-3 teaspoons dried tarragon

Recipe with seeds ... http://www.choosingraw.com/raw-spinach-burgers/

Gena’s Spinach Burgers

1 cup sunflower seeds (do NOT pre-soak)
    3 tbsp tamari, nama shoyu, or coconut aminos
    2 cups green juice pulp (kale, parsley, celery, romaine, cucumber, broccoli–whatever you have!)
    1/4 cup flax meal
    2 tbsp mustard
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tsp dried oregano
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Quote MissKat View Post
    Sorry I forgot about seeds. My post should have stated without nuts or seeds. I don't know why, but I always think of sunflower & pumpkin seeds as nuts
    Is there any particular reason that you avoid nuts and seeds?
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Is there any particular reason that you avoid nuts and seeds?
    Actually I love nuts & seeds TOO much! Once I start eating them, I can't stop. They're totally my addiction I want/need to cut back on my consumption.
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Quote MissKat View Post
    I want to make raw veggie burgers without nuts, but all the recipes I've found online require nuts. Does anyone know if I can substitute nuts with flax seed meal and whole flax seed? Anything else I could use to substitute?
    Chickpeas and lentils sprang to mind for texture purposes. Those wouldn't count as raw food though, I guess?

Fresh legumes (broad bean, or similar) are the only other things I can think of that haven't been suggested already.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Lentils can be soaked, sprouted, and eaten raw, but my guess is they wouldn't make a good binder as they are more crunchy that way than soft. I'm not sure about the other beans.

I wonder how a grated apple would work in some of those burgers?

Also, if you have a high speed blender (a regular might work if it has enough power), you could grind raw grains like buckwheat groats to a course flour consistency (but leave a little texture). Just a thought.

If you are worried about eating too many of your nuts and seeds, is it possible to grind them all into course flour and store them in your refrigerator right away before you are tempted to eat them? Then you can use them for purposes such as these.

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    Chickpeas and lentils sprang to mind for texture purposes. Those wouldn't count as raw food though, I guess?
    Correct w/ cooked Chickpeas & Lentils. Want to keep this totally raw.

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    Fresh legumes (broad bean, or similar) are the only other things I can think of that haven't been suggested already.
    Quote Robinwomb View Post
    Lentils can be soaked, sprouted, and eaten raw, but my guess is they wouldn't make a good binder as they are more crunchy that way than soft. I'm not sure about the other beans.
    I didn't think about utilizing *sprouted* Lentils. Thank you for this idea.

I wonder how a grated apple would work in some of those burgers?

Also, if you have a high speed blender (a regular might work if it has enough power), you could grind raw grains like buckwheat groats to a course flour consistency (but leave a little texture). Just a thought.
    Hmmm, a grated apple could be a nice addition. Wonderful suggestion.

I'm new to groats, so I'm not sure if buckwheat & oat groats are the same, don't think they are, but my local health food store has oat groats ... was just looking at that the other day. Great idea for using that as well.

If you are worried about eating too many of your nuts and seeds, is it possible to grind them all into course flour and store them in your refrigerator right away before you are tempted to eat them? Then you can use them for purposes such as these.
    Brilliant idea! I had to laugh when I read this. Grinding them up would definitely help w/ my addiction to stick my head in the fridge and eat them when I shouldn't ... lol.

Robinwomb ... really appreciate all of your terrific suggestions ... very helpful!
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I love well soaked kamut and spelt and oat groats -all chewy tender.

If you have good experience with sprouting legumes, great. They scare me raw. Seen dozens get sick from under-sprouted legumes: a veggie conference buffet sent many to hospital...
    Now, sprouting sunflower seeds would be entirely safe (until they get too green to be tasty)

Soaked dry shitake instead of button mushrooms?
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

I love well soaked kamut and spelt and oat groats -all chewy tender.
    Not sure if my local health food store has kamut & spelt ... I'll have to check. Good to know all 3 are chewy tender ... this is good news.

If you have good experience with sprouting legumes, great. They scare me raw. Seen dozens get sick from under-sprouted legumes: a veggie conference buffet sent many to hospital...
    Now, sprouting sunflower seeds would be entirely safe (until they get too green to be tasty)
    I've always eaten lentils cooked. I've been curious about sprouting them but never tried and now I'm glad I didn't after reading your info. My luck I would have gotten sick. Will have to pass on trying this.
    Good to know it's safe sprouting sunflower seeds.

Soaked dry shitake instead of button mushrooms?
    I don't like the taste of shitake ... will stick w/ button ... but thanks for the suggestion.

I greatly appreciate your help
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi