Thread: Overnight Oats Recipe ... Yummy! :-)

Default Overnight Oats Recipe ... Yummy! :-)

I've never tried this before and OMG it's totally yummy!

I'm sure there are a lot of recipes online but I used this one ... http://ohsheglows.com/2011/02/01/car...comment-311313

Ingredients:
    1 cup Almond milk (or your choice)
    1/3 cup regular oats
    1 tbsp carob powder (I buy it at bulk Barn)
    2 tbsp chia seeds
    Tiny pinch of kosher salt
    1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1-2 tbsp walnuts, chopped (optional, or use other nuts)
    1 ripe banana, chopped
    Maple syrup to drizzle, to taste (optional)

Directions:
    Mix the dry ingredients (oats, carob powder, chia seeds, optional walnuts, salt) in a medium sized bowl with a whisk. Now pour in the milk and pure vanilla extract, Whisk well until all clumps are gone. Finally, Stir in the chopped ripe banana. Place in the fridge for 1 hour or overnight. You can cover it, or leave it under covered. When ready, give it a good stir and enjoy. Drizzle a bit of maple syrup on top if you wish! You can get creative with different mix-ins too.

I made a few changes because of what I have on hand and regularly use:

> Substituted 2 tsp Raw Cacao Powder for 1 TBSP Carob Powder (Note: could probably use as little as 1 tsp Raw Cacao Powder ... will try that next time)
    > Substituted Flax Seed Meal for Chia Seeds … used same amount as recipe
    > Used 1/2 Banana (half is plenty sweet for me)

I did not use nuts or maple syrup ... trying to keep down my over consumption of nuts ... and did not want added sugar w/ maple syrup.

And for the milk I used Silk's Soy Organic Unsweetened.

Make sure to use the Vanilla Extract ... it really adds to it.

Try it ... you'll love it!
    Last edited by MissKat; Apr 14th, 2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Added information.
    Be the change you want to see in the world.
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Default Re: Overnight Oats Recipe ... Yummy! :-)

I have a similar breakfast usually, but it's not soaked overnight, just for half an hour or so... What does the overnight part do that's different? Are they a different kind of oat so they need soaking, or is it just to get them really smooshy?

Quote Peabrain View Post
    I have a similar breakfast usually, but it's not soaked overnight, just for half an hour or so... What does the overnight part do that's different? Are they a different kind of oat so they need soaking, or is it just to get them really smooshy?
    I should have included the directions ... will edit post after this. Anyway, in the directions she states to put it in the fridge for 1 hour or overnight. Honestly I don't know the purpose of overnight besides the fact it was ready when I woke up and I didn't have to prepare it nor wait an hour for it ... definitely convenient. I don't think the overnight soak made the oats any more smooshy than when I cook it. It almost had a doughy texture ... kind of hard to describe but I personally liked the texture. And I used regular Rolled Oats. I want to try Raw Oat Groats next.
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I use Oh She Glows overnight oats all the time!

I think the Overnight bit is partly the Chia seeds which can take time to swell (which thickens the oats) and also because it makes rushing around in a morning easier if breakfast is made the night before

I didn't know if my oats were not raw or something and if maybe the raw ones needed more time... It's funny how it didn't even occur to me that the cooking thing is what most people do, as I've always had them cold/soaked (albeit not for as long!)...

I never thought to use carob powder though... My mouth is positively watering. *glllaaarrrgghhh*

Quote Peabrain View Post
    I didn't know if my oats were not raw or something and if maybe the raw ones needed more time
    Apparently raw oats are really hard to get hold of as most commercially produced oats are heated before we buy them, this is from Wiki:
    "The unsized oat groats pass through a heat and moisture treatment to balance moisture, but mainly to stabilize them. Oat groats are high in fat (lipids), and once removed from their protective hulls and exposed to air, enzymatic (lipase) activity begins to break down the fat into free fatty acids, ultimately causing an off-flavour or rancidity. Oats begin to show signs of enzymatic rancidity within four days of being dehulled if not stabilized. This process is primarily done in food-grade plants, not in feed-grade plants. Groats are not considered raw if they have gone through this process; the heat disrupts the germ, and they cannot sprout."

Quote Firestorm View Post
    I use Oh She Glows overnight oats all the time!
    I just saw your June 2012 post in the Raw section w/ her site linked. Not sure why I didn't catch that before when I was cruising that section. I need to pay better attention

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Peabrain View Post
    I didn't know if my oats were not raw or something and if maybe the raw ones needed more time
    Quote Firestorm View Post
    Apparently raw oats are really hard to get hold of as most commercially produced oats are heated before we buy them
    I didn't know oats (rolled & steel cut) were *not* raw until I did some research. From what I read, the processing utilizes either heat and/or steam, depending if it's rolled or steel cut.

I read somewhere that oat groats are raw, so I checked my local health food store and fortunately their bulk stock is raw. I also read to make sure you're getting your raw oat groats from a reliable source as some may not be truly raw but claim to be. For this reason, I prefer *not* to buy online and buy from my local health food store that I trust.
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Personally I don't pay particular attention to raw eating, but it was interesting nonetheless to learn more about them.