Thread: Long term vegan to short term vegetarian - lactose intolorance?

Not currently a vegan

Default Long term vegan to short term vegetarian - lactose intolorance?

hi - here's the gist of the story - "was" a vegan for 45 yrs but recently became vegetarian (on a temporary basis) just after xmas.
    after many decades of good health i ended up in hospital just before xmas quite ill & resided there for 2wks.
    the hospital could not provide a vegan diet & would not allow my wife to bring food to reheat on the grounds of health & safety/food hygiene issues.
    in the end my wife purchased thermos flasks & food bags to bring me some vegan food but due to the distance could only sometimes visit once/day.
    on discharge & thereafter my wife has been is looking after me at her house but is providing me with some "healthy" vegetarian packet meals (ingredients containing eggs & milk) plus some salads with veg. cheese & also some of my vegan meals - a sort of 50/50 delicate compromise, if you know what i mean?
    now i don't want to offend my wife by demanding 100% vegan meals at all times, for to honest, i would have been in dire straits without her help & she truly believes its for my benefit.
    however, i should be returning to my own house in another 4wks when i will resume vegan.

now after all that, here's the question;
    does anyone know if a really long-term vegan can become lactose intolerant? - i have been suffering from wheezing coughing & heavy mucus mostly middle of the night (not associated with my illness).
    maybe its just coincidental & not a consequence of the vegetarian diet? - any info appreciated - cheers

Default Re: Long term vegan to short term vegetarian - lactose intolorance?

Hello, sorry to hear you've been ill and had problems getting the food you want as well. A lot of people say dairy consumption (or intolerance) is associated with excess mucus though I don't think there are any studies showing this. I have also read that if you don't consume dairy you may stop producing lactase, the enzyme used in digesting lactose, but again I'm not sure this has been scientifically proved.

I was going to suggest asking the Vegan Society to talk to the hospital about providing vegan food but if you're in the Irish Republic I suppose it's beyond their remit. There is http://veganireland.vegaplanet.org/about/about-us.html though - maybe you could talk to them when you're feeling better.

Get well soon!

Hi Zeggo! I guess it would make sense that if you have been a vegan for decades that your stomach would stop producing or produce much less lactase, the enzyme needed to break down lactose.
    Houmous atá ann!

Not currently a vegan

Quote harpy View Post
    Hello, sorry to hear you've been ill and had problems getting the food you want as well. A lot of people say dairy consumption (or intolerance) is associated with excess mucus though I don't think there are any studies showing this. I have also read that if you don't consume dairy you may stop producing lactase, the enzyme used in digesting lactose, but again I'm not sure this has been scientifically proved.
    I was going to suggest asking the Vegan Society to talk to the hospital about providing vegan food but if you're in the Irish Republic I suppose it's beyond their remit. There is http://veganireland.vegaplanet.org/about/about-us.html though - maybe you could talk to them when you're feeling better.

Get well soon!
    many thanks - there was a veggie menu on their system (the nurse came with an laptop for you to select) but no vegan - i was the only vegan in the hospital - the dietitian just shrugged her shoulders & smiled - thanks for your suggestion

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Hi Zeggo! I guess it would make sense that if you have been a vegan for decades that your stomach would stop producing or produce much less lactase, the enzyme needed to break down lactose.
    cheers - thought so as well.

The Vegan Society has this guide http://www.vegansociety.com/healthca...ing-guide.aspx which might be helpful if Vegan Ireland hasn't done one yet.

You should certainly inform the dietitian about your problems, maybe she thinks a bit before suggesting the same to the next patient.

Bottom line ... it seems you are "weaned". About time considering the time you have been a vegan.

Best regards,
    Andy

rakin' muck

Intolerance to cow's milk is the natural human condition... worldwide, lactose tolerance is the abnormal thing, it seems to have developed in the West, mostly, as the body's means of coping with the barrage of dairy products most people inflict upon themselves... Plus, there's a good chance that if you don't actively seek out organic or rBGH-free milk, you are consuming cancer-causing growth hormone by the gallon, which can cause all sorts of ill health effects...

100% sure – I'm going vegan!

absolutely ridiculous and infuriating. Especially since this is my profession. When I worked in the hospital, we would accommodate ANY diet request. We had some crazy ones, but that didn't matter. There are patients we had to go out and BUY food from the store for. I dealt with this ALL THE TIME. If we had a vegan, which we never did while I was there, but if we did we would FIND food for them to eat. We would BUY food for them to eat. I think the hospital needs to be sued, but I realize you dont live in the USA so that might not be as realistic as it would be here.

Also, if the family was willing and able to bring in food for a patient to eat, that was allowed under these types of circumstances unless the patient was "NPO", i.e., not allowed to eat for tests or surgeries. If it is the only thing the patient will eat, LET THE PATIENT EAT.

All that being said, I know the way to get what you want at a hospital, diet-wise. Just stop eating. If they think you won't eat anything but X, they will let you have X before they let you die.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, it just touched a nerve.