Thread: Prohibition of animal experiments in animal products?

Default Prohibition of animal experiments for cosmetics products?

Hello all,
    I found this in a Spanish forum and I think it is worth to read it as we are, apparently, wrongly happy with the well known low against animal experimentation in the EU.
    A friend of mine (Sean) has been very kind and has translated it:

On 11th March communication media, social networks and many animal rights charities all over the World breathed a happy sigh of relief as the EU had continued the prohibition of animal experiments for cosmetic products. Nevertheless a part of it leaves a patent ambiguity in which it states that animals will not be freed from the suffering in laboratories, for the benefit of these companies and their markets.
    To begin with, reading the title of this paper and its preamble, you realise it is not a law to protect the rights of animals, but a statute of public health to guarantee the safe manufacture, commerce and use of cosmetic products.
    We move on to chapter 5, entitled “Experimentation with animals”, here, in article 18, in part 1, it is affirmed in literal form, that it will remain illegal to introduce into the market cosmetic products whose final formulation, ingredients or products that may have been objects of animal testing. To this it is added that the process will be accomplished by alternate means. Nevertheless, from the different clauses in this section one can extrapolate the following information:

• Any company situated in Europe that wishes to sell its products outside the EU can continue experimenting on animals, (There are countries where this is obligatory such as China).
    • Said alternative methods have to be validated and accepted at the level of the community of the OECD *. Then if the companies don’t give an alternative method or their method is not validated, will they be allowed to continue animal experimentation?
    • If a cosmetic product contains an ingredient listed in the REACH (European register of chemical substances requiring a strict protocol of control owing to its effects on human health and the environment), it won’t be exempt from being tested on animals.

Part 2, of the same article 18 clarifies any doubt regarding the little help for animals from this law. It affirms that they will take into account difficulties encountered in the use of alternative methods and will invite the exemption due to “Exceptional circumstances” that allow experimentation on animals for example, if an ingredient that has to be tested under the law, and is not able to be substituted or if no animal experimentation would present a risk to human health , according to the law.

Definitively, a company would be able to circumvent the law if affirming that an alternative method to vivisection that they use wasn’t 100% reliable or that they are not able to substitute one of the ingredients of a product requires animal experimentation.

*Note OECD: International organisation helping governments tackle the economic, social and governance challenges of a globalised economy.
    Last edited by Jara; Apr 27th, 2013 at 03:33 PM.

Default Re: Prohibition of animal experiments in animal products?

As I expected unfortunately... I had assumed the process of banning animal testing was incomplete anyway, in terms of it not being fully banned until a later date, nor being "across the board". So, I haven't widened my use of products to those outside the already well known vegan and BUAV ones, and won't be changing that until it's clarified.

I still shared news of the ban on my facebook page though (pointing out that there were some criteria people should still look out for when buying their products), as apart from anything else it at least brings it into the forefront of people's minds.

Default Re: Prohibition of animal experiments in animal products?

Do they really mean that alternatives to animal testing have to be 100% reliable, or just that they have to be at least as reliable as animal testing? Is any experimental model 100% reliable? And what do they mean by 'reliable', anyway?
    "Eventually, I realised that the reason I was so angry was because I want people in the world to be well." - Ian MacKaye