Thread: Taking weight loss pills?

Default Taking weight loss pills?

Hello, everyone!
    Not a long time ago I decided to go vegan. I did it because of my overwheight, I thought it would be kind of a diet, so I would lose extra pounds. Now, I understand that veganism is not a diet, it's something more. So, I didn't lose even a pound, but I weigh 314 lbs. Doctor told me to take Adipex to start to lose weight, so I want to ask, is taking pills vegan or no?

Default Re: Taking weight loss pills?

Hello - some medicines have non vegan ingredients and others don't, but all are tested on animals, so most vegans prefer to avoid taking them when possible. If you need to take pills to stay healthy, though, I'd take them for now.

While eating vegan food certainly doesn't guarantee weightloss, I believe it is easy to put together a vegan eating plan that helps you lose weight without feeling hungry etc - I expect people will be able to recommend books etc to help. So maybe you could avoid taking the pills in future by making some "lifestyle changes".

Hello veganguy67,
    If you are trying to lose your unnecessary weight, I would suggest you try to change your diet first. Stop eating fried foods that are still considered vegan like chips. Eat more fruits and vegetables, in your position raw or cooked won't matter just keep eating vegetables! Have you tried juicing? I suggest you watch the documentary "Fat,Sick, And Nearly Dead." Any form of exercise or movement will always help no matter what kind. I literally suggest you purge your house of all the junk food you have and surround yourself everyday with fruits and vegetables. Get some social support, you can't do this alone, surround yourself with people that care about you and your well-being. Sometimes you just have to hit rock bottom and be yelling at yourself why your hurting yourself before you can make some changes.

I was in your shoes when I was younger, I was obese and weight almost 200 pounds before i hit 13 and these would be the things I would have told myself to do. If you absolutely must see a doctor for help, I suggest you go see a naturopathic doctor instead. Even seeing a nutritionist would help you more than what that doctor giving you pills will do. Those weight loss pills won't do anything, I know it and you know it too, you have to change yourself.

The thing that worries me about pills, besides the animal ingredients, is how they will affect your body. I've never heard of those pills, but I know the healthiest way is always good, healthy food and exercise. Perhaps if you could get an exercise routine to try before the pills, that could be a good option.

I just googled Adipex and looked at the side effects. I'd recommend you do the same and see if the benefits outweigh the risks of taking this medication. I'd also discuss it with your doctor to see if there's any alternative to taking the pills. I'd never presume to tell anyone to not take a medicine prescribed by the doctor. But I do encourage you to ask questions, find out your options and see if there are any alternatives that don't involve taking medications.

I'd ask why those pills particularly, what he expects them to do and how they work to do that.....

Doctors sometimes get paid a commission or are given equipment for promoting certain brands in their surgeries, and being in America you have to pay for everythng, or your insurance does. It is in everyone's interests but yours to feed you those pills. If pills made you lose weight everyone in the world would be taking them and no one would be overweight, the bloke who found the secret formula that everyone is desperate for would have shouted it from the hilltops the world over and would be a very very rich man by now.

the only way to lose weight (besides surgery of course) is to eat less fat and oils, leave the processed stuff and too much salt alone, eat lots more fresh fruits and veg and move more, no secret formula required, let food be thy medicine...
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

Just wanted to add to tickled onion's post; surgeries have quite a lot more complications than good old healthy eating and exercise. I've read/heard of those bypass surgeries doing some damage, either by itself or because people still continue to eat large amounts of food too large for their now smaller stomachs. As with things like liposuction I remember reading, and I can't remember if this is 100% correct, but that it removes fat cells from the area, and if you gain weight you gain it in other areas.

I was prescribed vesicare at one point. When I asked my doctor what the side effects were, he looked at me, shrugged and said he didn't know or what did it matter, something like that. No joke.

I have a spammy feeling about this post.

Quote deniselynn View Post
    I have a spammy feeling about this post.
    Ooooh we haven't had a good troll in a while
    Houmous atá ann!