Thread: Period two days late - any vegan females with same problem?

Default Period two days late - any vegan females with same problem?

Hi, I have been a vegan for almost a year and 6 months now. My period is always very regular, every 28 days, actually a lot of the time it's 1 or 2 days early! Since becoming vegan my menstrual cramps have reduced, and my other symptoms (acne, headaches, tiredness, nausea etc) are less frequent, my periods have also become lighter. They only give me cramps generally on the first day and that's it.
    Anyway, for the first time my period is 2 days late, and I definitely 100% cannot be pregnant. So I'm wondering if it could be due to diet changes? I have been cutting down on salt lately, I haven't cut it out completely but I definitely don't use it as often as before. I also eat less chocolate and haven't had processed sausages/cheese for a long while now. This is the only changes I have made but I don't really see a connection. Oh I have also been increasing my herbal tea intake (mostly green with fruit and camomile on the odd occasion). Normally I get a few cramps right before my period is due, but I haven't really had them this time. The only symptom I had was I was extremely drowsy two nights ago (but I'd done a lot of walking that day).
    Any ideas on what this could be? I'm sure my period will arrive but I just hate the fact it's not on time.

Default Re: Long term vegan, Period two days late -any vegan females with same problem?

Hello. It could be all sorts of things, not necessarily diet related - stress, for example. A low calorie intake or extra exercise could do it as well I think.

I don't think it's anything to worry about but if you notice longer-term disruption to your cycle you could ask a doctor.

Default Re: Long term vegan, Period two days late -any vegan females with same problem?

Thanks! I was just worried slightly thinking there must be some major problem?! I hope it arrives soon.. I get a little paranoid sometimes.

I have skipped months in the past, before I was vegan.

Quote deniselynn View Post
    I have skipped months in the past, before I was vegan.
    This has never ever happened to me before, so it is kind of worrying. It's not the norm for me to skip a period. It's just very odd.

I was regular like clockwork most of my menstrual days, but twice I skipped. Now I'm in the perimenopausal phase so all bets are off!

thats reassuring to know. Maybe it's just a random thing with no explanation....

I've only been vegan for a few months so far but it hasn't affected my cycle at all. I was honestly hoping that it would since mine tend to be very heavy and painful.

I'm 41 and I honestly will be glad to hit the change of life and not have to deal with it anymore.

Quote Tabbycat View Post
    I've only been vegan for a few months so far but it hasn't affected my cycle at all. I was honestly hoping that it would since mine tend to be very heavy and painful.
    I think sometimes veganism is touted as some sort of magical wonder cure for everything, people come into it expecting every problem to disappear. However for most of us veganism is not that, it's just a way to eat ethically.
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Period two days late - any vegan females with same problem?

Quote Blueberries View Post
    I think sometimes veganism is touted as some sort of magical wonder cure for everything, people come into it expecting every problem to disappear. However for most of us veganism is not that, it's just a way to eat ethically.
    You're right...it doesn't always change anything at all for everyone, but for me my skin is the thing that has changed the most. My periods have also become less painful I can say that much, the pain hasn't stopped all together but I've gone from fainting and puking along with terrible migraines, to hardly any cramps at all apart from on the first day if any. They also used to last 5-7 days and now it's around 3-5.

rakin' muck

I'm amazed at how regular your normal cycle is... my period seems like it's always late, sometimes by 5-7 days, but it could be because I am notoriously bad at remembering the date which I last got it, so I may be overestimating how long it's been... I would say if anything, since going vegan, my cycles have gotten longer, my PMS is way more bearable, the occasional cramp to let me know Aunt Flo's coming, maybe a tiny pimple and a bit more likely to cry than during the rest of the month, but nothing like what I used to go through. I'm with you on the lighter, shorter periods, too. I haven't had to use tampons anymore (*insert hallelujah chorus*), pads do the trick now (full disclosure, during my periods I sleep on a folded up black towel with like 3 pads in my underwear but IT IS WORTH IT!)... I'm assuming you got your period by now, but I still figured I'd share my experiences.

Vegmonkey thanks for your response, and sharing your experiences. I did get my period about three days late but that was really unusual for me.
    I guess everyone is completely different when it comes to their cycle pattern.