Thread: Feedback for vegan store names?

Default Feedback for vegan store names?

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, but hoping to get some feedback on the names I have been thinking about for a vegan specialty store with a "modern general store" vibe to it. I plan to carry hard-to-find and local items (dry, frozen and refrigerated) as well as sweets and soft serve ice cream. It will be the only all vegan food store in the area.

I am hesitant about including the word vegan in the main name of the store, because I want it to be a place where everyone feels welcome: those who aren't full time vegans, veg-curious, anyone interested in healthy plant based alternatives, etc. And I know the word vegan can alienate folks a bit too.

Here is the list I have so far:
    - Vegan Pantry
    - Soy Division
    - Soy Vey!
    - Weed Eater
    - Vegan Forager
    - Vegan Outpost or General Store
    - Tempeh Tantrum
    - Sprouts Honor
    - Vegan Variety Shop

My boyfriend says I should keep it simple and name it after the street it ends up on: "Smith General Store" or something, but I think I'd like something with more pizazz!

Any suggestions or feedback is MUCH MUCH appreciated! <3
    Last edited by meganelizabeth; May 16th, 2013 at 04:11 PM.

Default Re: Feedback for Vegan Store names?

I would love to have a place like this near me

I think if you're going for more "inconspicuous" I like your boyfriend's idea. But for pizzazz, I like Vegan Pantry or Soy Division.

Tempeh Tantrum sounds like it would be an awesome vegan product for kids!

I think you're right to avoid using the word vegan, also give specific food products a miss as well in case that puts people off through food associations.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

How about something like Herbivore's Heaven or something including the word Herbivore? For some reason, I find it more funny than vegan, a kind of humorous option. And such a store would truly be a heaven for herbivores! I think positive name makes also the store easier to visit, if you are an omnivore with no experience about veganism.

I like Vegan Pantry
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Feedback for vegan store names?

Plant-based?

A play on cornucopia, the horn of plenty, comes to mind ..

Corn-U-Copious, perhaps?
    All done in the best possible taste ...

My favourite: Sprouts Honor
    My second favourite: Tempeh Tantrum

But! A thought I had is that maybe you should coin a "motto" that sits underneath the name of the shop, to show anyone who doesn't like sprouts or tempeh, that they can find things they'll like in your store. Something like; "(for Sprouts Honor) Everything from veggies, to vegan cupcakes, get your Compassionate Consumer Badge here!" or "(for Tempeh Tantrum) Let us sooth your soul with our lovingly selected range of vegan goodies!"

You could make badges or have the bags printed with the motto...

- - - Updated - - -

Having looked at previous comments, I think Herbivore's Heaven is a good idea too.

'Wheat and two veg '?

Plantmart
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Unless there are enough vegans there to keep you in business I might (as you mention) avoid including the v-word so as to attract meat-avoiders etc as well. I think I'd also (as Risker says) avoid names of specific foods that some people might not want such as soy or wheat. But it would still be good to suggest what you sell so something plant-y or vegetable-y might be good. Weed Eater, Plant Mart, Plant City, Plant Kingdom, Plant Food etc. I do think Herbivore Heaven is catchy. Vegetable Love might be good, as in the poem http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_His_Coy_Mistress

One of our friends in the 1960's had a vegetarian restaurant in the U.S. called "Healthy, Wealthy and Wise". I think that would be a very catchy name for a plant based food shop.

And a vegetarian restaurant owed by a rock singer in the Philippines in the 1970's was called "Orange Banana". That sounds good too for a food store.
    Respect for all living entities

I understand avoiding the word vegan if you need to attract mainstream business, just in case I like to add the name "The Vegan Find" to the list with names that have vegan.

To the names that don't have the word vegan I would like, based on it being a general store, and more eco than other general stores I assume, the name "The Green General".