Thread: Vegan in Mexico!!

Cool Vegan in Mexico!!

I'm going to central Mexico for 2 weeks, and was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to make it easier, or warnings of things to watch out for (i.e. lard in random places, etc.).

I'm going with my mom and we'll be staying with her good friend who's like family and knows that I'm vegan, so I'll probably be able to cook my own food at home if I need to, however, eating out is my biggest concern.

• Are there any foods like guacamole, salsa, or corn tortillas that are always vegan that I can expect to find when eating out (I know those are vegan here, but I want to make sure they don't do them differently and there will be surprise animal products)?
    • I've seen lard in refried beans at Mexican restaurants in the US- is that common there? Can you buy lard-free beans at the store to make at home?
    • Do they have health food stores in the cities?

I'll probably stock up on vegan Cliff Bars just in case, but I love Mexican food, so any tips would help!

Hi Zazu, just to let you know that someone read your post! I remember that one of our members Lentils wrote about being in Mexico a while ago now, maybe he'll see this and give you some tips

Probably also worth learning some enough Spanish to ask for what is and isn't vegan
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Vegan in Mexico!!

Hola Blueberries, gracias! Hablo algunos español. Puedo decir que no como nada de los animales- no carne, no pollo, no pescado, no huevos, no leché, no mantequilla, no miel. Did I get everything?

Quote zazu View Post
    Hola Blueberries, gracias! Hablo algunos español. Puedo decir que no como nada de los animales- no carne, no pollo, no pescado, no huevos, no leché, no mantequilla, no miel. Did I get everything?
    ¡Creo que si! Pues no olvides a incluir caldo de carne/pescado. A veces no se considerado como carne, ¡en españa fuera que fuese!
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Vegan in Mexico!!

¡Es muy bueno! ¡Gracias!

Quote zazu View Post
    ¡Es muy bueno! ¡Gracias!
    De nada
    Houmous atá ann!