Thread: Good vegan alternative to coffee cream

Default Good vegan alternative to coffee cream

Hello everyone. I am a new vegan and am finding it surprisingly easy to stick to this new way of life. My 17 year old is my role model. She has been vegan since January and is sticking to it completely. Both of our motivation is the fact that my mom died of pancreatic cancer in December 2012.

My only problem is that I have not found a good alternative to cream for my coffee in the morning. Almond/rice milk is too watery and reminds me of putting skim milk in my coffee. I like the feel and taste of half and half and usually use plain CoffeeMate since I do not like flavored creams.

I am going to try a soy latte at Starbucks today at lunch. If it gives me the right "feel", I think I will start there. Can some of you diehard coffee drinkers help me out. This is my last step since I have even successfully given up cheese - the Diaya cheese is fabulous.

Default Re: Good vegan alternative to coffee cream

Have you tried the Silk brand coffee creamers made of soy milk? I'm from Puerto Rico so I like black coffee but my girlfriend loves it with creamer. I can't remember if I've seen a plain one, but the one my girlfriend gets is like a vanilla flavor, not sure if that's plain enough for ya, but maybe at your stores you could find a plain one. Good luck on your search!

So delicious brand, coconut milk for coffee. I use it all the time, and hardly notice a difference. It's in a red creamo type container in the dairy section of my local Save-on. Not sure if it's just a canadian thing.. probably isn't.

ETA : I first had a vanilla soy latte at starbucks a few weeks ago. I had to have bf taste test it first, because I get so paranoid that they would accidentally use cow milk! Also, it was very very delicious. I can see why people like starbucks now. Only as a treat for me though, yikes expensive!

The Trader Joe's soy creamer is very good as well, and cheaper than the Silk, if you have a TJs near you.

Excuse my ignorance but I really don't know what coffee creamer is! I don't think it's a popular product on this side of the world. I just use soya milk for coffee.
    Houmous atá ann!

I don't know what it is either.

Just have it black. Not being able to find a good alternative isn't a good reason to continue using a dairy creamer.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I am sorry. I forgot that this is an international forum. Coffee creamer is just cream for coffee. Most of them have barely any dairy in them, but they do have casein which I now know is not vegan.

I do not like it black and won't ever be able to do that. I am determined to find a "cream" that works and I am going to use some of the ideas that people have given me because I know it is the one thing holding me back.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. We definitely have Trader Joe's nearby but I will also look in Whole Foods and Wegmans also for soy creamer. I am thinking that the soy is thicker?

- - - Updated - - -

I saw the Silk brand in the store at lunch time - Harris Teeter. I think I will try that and the Trader Joe brand and see which one I like best. Thank you so much.

Quote tperry1982 View Post
    Coffee creamer is just cream for coffee.
    Figured as much from the name . I just don't get what diffentiates it from cooking cream (my guess is that it's sweetened/flavoured?). I think people here tend to take milk rather than cream in coffee so therefore most people take non-dairy milk rather than non-dairy cream

I do not like it black and won't ever be able to do that.
    Never say never! There are alot of things I never thought I would like but came to love when I gave them a chance
    Houmous atá ann!

Actually you can put half and half in coffee and it is the same as cooking cream. I am talking about the prepared creamers that are not really dairy because they can be left out all day and not spoil but if you read the small print on the label you see they have some type of milk product in it.

I cannot drink black coffee. I have tried even before becoming vegan when I was doing my protein only diet (cream has carbs). Can drink it without sugar, but not without cream. I have tried and since coffee is one of my few pleasures in the morning, I need to it still be satisfying as I move forward with my vegan lifestyle. I am stopping to get one of the alternatives mentioned on the way home from work. I am sure my daughter will help me since she knows this is my last stumbling block.

For anyone in the UK you can get coffee creamer from VeganStore, Soyatoo used to make it aswell but I think they have stopped.

Tperry1982 VeganEssentials sell 4 different types,you could try them all and see which suits you.

Alternatively you could try making your own, googling has some good results: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ho...71BMSfO92xgPgD

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Figured as much from the name . I just don't get what diffentiates it from cooking cream (my guess is that it's sweetened/flavoured?). I think people here tend to take milk rather than cream in coffee so therefore most people take non-dairy milk rather than non-dairy cream
    Blueberries, yes, but what about cortado ?
    That is usually made with condensed milk in Spain, so here the coconut milk might come handy.

Best regards,
    Andy

PS: I simply use steam-foamed soymilk for my daily dose of cappuccino

Quote Andy_T View Post
    Blueberries, yes, but what about cortado ?
    That is usually made with condensed milk in Spain, so here the coconut milk might come handy.
    Hi Andy, I didn't know that actually, very interesting. I have seen cortados on café menus but have never gotten one.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortado

It seems from this that it is normally made with milk, condensed milk being a varation
    Houmous atá ann!

Hello all - great news! Tried the Silk Soy Creamer this morning in my coffee and it was great. Had the creamy taste of CoffeeMate but is 100% Vegan. I am hooked and that was my last step.

Yesterday was my daughter's 17th birthday and we went to a restaurant named Busboys and Poets (DC and MD) which has an extensive vegan menu. The nachos were to die for. She had a tempeh panini that was great. The vegan burger I had was so so, I won't order that again. All in all, this is going to be our go-to place to eat out since we used to go there all the time before we went vegan (they also have an extensive regular menu).

Hello all - great news! Tried the Silk Soy Creamer this morning in my coffee and it was great. Had the creamy taste of CoffeeMate but is 100% Vegan. I am hooked and that was my last step.
    Glad to hear it!

Yesterday was my daughter's 17th birthday and we went to a restaurant named Busboys and Poets (DC and MD) which has an extensive vegan menu. The nachos were to die for. She had a tempeh panini that was great. The vegan burger I had was so so, I won't order that again. All in all, this is going to be our go-to place to eat out since we used to go there all the time before we went vegan (they also have an extensive regular menu).
    I hope your daughter had a nice birthday!
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Glad to hear it!

I hope your daughter had a nice birthday!
    Thank you, she did.

Apologies for resurrecting an old post but I have just bought some "Soya Mate Instant Soya Milk Powder" from Vegan Store and its brilliant ! It quickly dissolves in coffee, doesnt curdle and taste good !

Bus Boys and Poets is great! If you ever go back give the "tuna" sandwich a try - it is delicious too

I will be trying the vegan creamers soon. I use almond milk for now. I don't like coffee black and since I work the graveyard shift coffee is important sometimes.