Thread: Is 'Tasty Bite' (an Indian pre-cooked meal) healthy?

Default Is 'Tasty Bite' (an Indian pre-cooked meal) healthy?

Hi everyone, I recently tried this tasty bite Indian food pack i got from whole food. Just simply stove top for 5 minutes and serve with rice. I found its very convenient. Plan to store a bunch with different variety at home to eat on regular basis. Is this healthy?

Hi hotpot, welcome! I'm not really sure what you mean by 'healthy', are you asking if eating alot of Indian food is healthy or eating alot of the same food/convenience food is healthy? Healthy isn't an absolute, it's a word a bit like 'natural', one that's used alot but doesn't really have a concrete meaning. Eat a varied diet and you should be okay.
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Is Tasty bite Indian food cooked meal healthy?

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Hi hotpot, welcome! I'm not really sure what you mean by 'healthy', are you asking if eating alot of Indian food is healthy or eating alot of the same food/convenience food is healthy? Healthy isn't an absolute, it's a word a bit like 'natural', one that's used alot but doesn't really have a concrete meaning. Eat a varied diet and you should be okay.
    Thanks Blueberries, I meant to ask if there is anything bad with this pre-cook Indian meal? Because I know eating fresh meal will be better, but occasionally I can eat it when I have no time to cook, which is very often.

I would wager it is high in salt and possibly fat.

Default Re: Is 'Tasty Bite' (Indian pre-cooked meal) healthy?

If you don't want to eat "convenience foods" too often you could always prepare some food in advance and freeze portions of it (assuming you have a freezer) - that way you know what went in it. Mind you I rarely do this myself but we do freeze leftovers sometimes.

Quote Hotpot View Post
    Thanks Blueberries, I meant to ask if there is anything bad with this pre-cook Indian meal?
    Hi Hotpot, I think terming food 'good' and 'bad' is the same as 'healthy' and 'not healthy', just vague, subjective and narrow. As Denise said ready meals may be higher in fat and salt that meals you mighy make yourself, but I think that's okay as long and you eat a varied, balanced diet. Eating these kinds of ready meals are definately much more nutritious than just grabbing biscuits or crisps (which also have their place in a varied diet).
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote deniselynn View Post
    I would wager it is high in salt and possibly fat.
    Ok, I do need fat because I am doing a lot cardio exercise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote harpy View Post
    If you don't want to eat "convenience foods" too often you could always prepare some food in advance and freeze portions of it (assuming you have a freezer) - that way you know what went in it. Mind you I rarely do this myself but we do freeze leftovers sometimes.
    i do cook sometimes, but my cooking sucks. The best thing I made so far is the pizza, and fried rice with frozen mix veggie. Been eating too much on those lately, so want something new.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Hotpot, I think terming food 'good' and 'bad' is the same as 'healthy' and 'not healthy', just vague, subjective and narrow. As Denise said ready meals may be higher in fat and salt that meals you mighy make yourself, but I think that's okay as long and you eat a varied, balanced diet. Eating these kinds of ready meals are definately much more nutritious than just grabbing biscuits or crisps (which also have their place in a varied diet).
    Got it. I just plan on use those for quick meals. I will definitely add more variety to my diet. Thanks

Quote Hotpot View Post
    i do cook sometimes, but my cooking sucks.
    Learn to cook Hotpot!

Learning to cook has a major hidden benefit. Once you get into it you kinda want to experiment with cooking stuff you haven't cooked before.

That alone has the result of increasing the variety of foods that are included in ones diet.

Another benefit is that learning to cook makes one think harder about their food.

May be a bit of a chore at first but it's an absolute joy once you get into it
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    Learn to cook Hotpot!

Learning to cook has a major hidden benefit. Once you get into it you kinda want to experiment with cooking stuff you haven't cooked before.

That alone has the result of increasing the variety of foods that are included in ones diet.

Another benefit is that learning to cook makes one think harder about their food.

May be a bit of a chore at first but it's an absolute joy once you get into it
    Yes, I should. I bought this book (Quick-Fix Vegan: Healthy, Homestyle Meals in 30 Minutes or Less) from amazon last year and I didn't even try any recipe yet. The main reason is this book have no picture at all, so I can't decide which one looks good. Maybe I'll just the pick the most simple one to try this weekend.

Quote Hotpot View Post
    Yes, I should. I bought this book (Quick-Fix Vegan: Healthy, Homestyle Meals in 30 Minutes or Less) from amazon last year and I didn't even try any recipe yet. The main reason is this book have no picture at all, so I can't decide which one looks good. Maybe I'll just the pick the most simple one to try this weekend.
    I know that it's hard to be inspired by cookbooks without pictures. You coukd try looking up the recipe on Google images to see if any vegan bloggers have posted pictures of it.
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Is 'Tasty Bite' (an Indian pre-cooked meal) healthy?

Coincidentally there was recently a review of the Tasty Bite ready meals on the Vegan Crunk blog... http://vegancrunk.blogspot.com.es/20...ite-tasty.html
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Is 'Tasty Bite' (an Indian pre-cooked meal) healthy?

I know that it's hard to be inspired by cookbooks without pictures. You coukd try looking up the recipe on Google images to see if any vegan bloggers have posted pictures of it.
    Coincidentally there was recently a review of the Tasty Bite ready meals on the Vegan Crunk blog... http://vegancrunk.blogspot.com.es/20...ite-tasty.html
    Thanks for the info Blueberries.