Thread: What would be the perfect juicer?

Default What would be the perfect juicer?

Hey guys,

Do you juice? I'd like to get everyone's opinion on what your ideal juicer would look like and what kinds of functions you'd want it to feature. What kind of juicer would you feel happy to spend money on?

What features in a juicer would motivate you to use it every day?

Brandon

Default Re: What would be the perfect juicer?

Quote Glossolalia View Post
    Do you juice? What kind of juicer would you feel happy to spend money on?
    Rarely. Had a juicer once. Used it a few times. Too much mess to clean up for the trouble. Sold it. Not likely to buy another.

What features in a juicer would motivate you to use it every day?
    It would have to be as simple to clean as a blender. It would have a way to prevent wasting food. It would have to be quiet. It would have to have a built-in recipe system, ideally IP based, so the recipes displayed would be constantly refreshed, seasonal, and timely -- to show breakfast drinks in the morning, dessert drinks at night, etc.

Good luck with that!

Cass

My thoughts exactly ... it would have to be easy to clean, robust, and get a lot of juice out of the fruits you put inside.

I also only use a blender, because drinking smoothies instead of juice eliminates the waste of all that fiber.

Best regards,
    Andy

I love juicing and do it everyday. The only thing I wish juicers had was a bigger mouth to put fruits and vegetables in so it could juice faster, but also be efficient at extracting juice. The current "big mouth" style juicers are not as efficient compared to the smaller ones with extracting juice.

Cleaning the juicer is easy, you just soak it in water and scrub it a few times with the brush to clean the parts. This usually takes 1-2 minutes. Am I missing something as to why anyone would think cleaning a juicer is difficult?

Fiber is good and you need it, but I can't store smoothies to work as they usually go bad quickly. Storing and drinking juice at work is so much faster and cuts down on my time eating lunch.

Hello Arbor Vitae,

what kind of juicer do you have?
    When I think about cleaning the juicer, I think about (I don't have a juicer) the whole act of taking it apart and cleaning the parts that need cleaning - with my Vitamix, I simply rinse the jug, so that seems like less work to me.

Regarding what keeps longer, I drink 2 1-liter-bottles of green smoothie in a normal work day, they keep well (in the company fridge).
    I also recall seing a comparison that suggested that juice oxidizes quicker than smoothie... look here: http://drritamarie.com/blog/2010/07/...evsgreenjuice/

Best regards,
    Andy

PS: my mother used to have a Braun MP3 (or similar) juicer some 30 years ago, that one was awesome, as it really got a lot of juice out of the fruit.
    Remember juicing orgies in my youth when the apple trees in our garden had fruit. Cleaning was really easy, but of course you had to clean it repeatedly after juicing a few apples (a kg maybe?).

Hello Andy,
    I got the Omega 8004 Single Auger Juicer. Here is a video of how I basically clean it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXhW8-5H6Io. Instead of running water though, I fill a big bowl with water and soak the parts to save water. The fiber is nice and loose as long as I clean it right after i finish juicing. You do not need to put it in the dishwasher afterwards. I also take the fiber and fertilize my garden instead of trashing it. I know it is not as simple as filling a container with water and pressing a button, but I wouldn't consider cleaning a juicer "difficult." It just takes 2 more minutes.

As to oxidation, I did not know that fiber could protect the smoothie from oxidizing. That would certainly be an advantage for smoothies. I think I just have better bottles for storing juice than smoothies. I use these glass bottles for storing my juice http://www.miron-glas.com/en/product.../5-Oil-bottles. I fill it to the top leaving no space for oxygen and add lemon juice. The bottle protects it from heat, light, and oxygen. I also don't like when the stored smoothie settles the liquid and fiber parts and when I mix them back together, something seems to have gone wrong with the taste for me.

I have the Omega VRT 350 and love it!...this is my first juicer and I don't really find it hard to clean. I don't juice everyday but at least 3 to 4 days a week.
    Husband did the research and this one was the one within our budget and size we wanted, plus most reviews are 5 stars.

I just bought the Omega 8003 because it was highly recommended by a friend. It arrives on Tuesday, but I expect it'll be rockin' based on the reviews online

How could a company like Breville or Omega re-engineer their juicers to make them easier to clean?

I'm looking at getting a new juicer and have been looking at the Omega VRT 400, I'm giving it alot of consideration as I've spent less on a 2nd hand car in the past!
    Then I came across the Optimum 400 which is half the price, still has a 10 yr warranty, sounds almost identical, does anyone have the Optimum? that can give me a review please.

100% sure – I'm going vegan! nathanjh13's Avatar

I still can't get over the cost of these juicer things. A metal blade, plastic housing and a motor for £hundreds, it's a total con. I bought a brand new Bosch garden trimmer with more power, more parts, more plastic and it was £24 brand new. Sophisticated drills and bits can be had for well under £100. I've a Bissel Cleanview Compact vacuum cleaner which is a much more complex shape (and with a 1400W motor) which was £28.

Until the prices see sense I'll just eat the stuff like humanity has done for millenia (it's also much easier to clean).

I'm not jumping down anybody's throat here, but I think I've got a point... OK I'll meet you all halfway, buy second hand at least?

- - - Updated - - -

How could a company like Breville or Omega re-engineer their juicers to make them easier to clean?
    Watch things like this and consider 'whole system lifecycle thinking'. It's a good exercise and may help to figure out what can be done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L06ZgG0FV4c

My perfect juicer would clean and cut up all the produce by itself. My least favourite part of the process.
    http://www.marystestkitchen.com <--that's the vegan recipe blog I write. Mostly comfort food. Sometimes I get into a healthy mood though.

Not a juicer expert by any means, but I recently saw lots of discussion on a facebook group (in Asia) about the Kuvings wide mouth slow juicer. Have no idea if that really is a good one, but it is a slow juicer and has a wide mouth.

Regards,
    andy

My ideal juicer would need to have the following features ...

1. Anticipates which fruit I want juiced and grows it itself.

2. Self cleans and/or composts it's own waste with zero intervention from me.

3. Has some tardis like quality that makes it create more counter space in my kitchen than I would have if it wasn't there.

4. Generates and returns power I can charge for to the national grid.

Untill then my ideal juicer is whichever one the supermarket uses to make my hassle free bottles of freshly squeezed juice.
    All done in the best possible taste ...