Thread: My son is going through a vegan awakening.

Default My son is going through a difficult vegan awakening.

My dear teenaged son went vegetarian last year, and asked me to research some stuff for him, which I did and which caused me to learn things I'd never known and I went vegan very quickly after that...

Well, he's been "mostly vegan" in that he eats the vegan food I make at home, but if at a friend's/his dad's house he eats vegetarian as they usually don't have any idea what to feed him...

Recently he's asked me to give him a list of foods/recipes to take to his dad's house so obviously wants to go further towards veganism, and bless his soul he's evidently thinking about it a lot...

He keeps starting conversations where he'll lament someone not looking after their cat properly, or what dairy cows have to go through, or how non-vegans think, and what they say that is so wrong...

The thing is, I think he's suffering a bit, as he's quite angry and seems to be grieving the realities of what is done to animals on a daily basis, yet he's also still a bit young to feel confident if it comes up for conversation or when looking for food options etc... I try to support him and as my own induction to the fold was SOOOOO intense, plus I have the benefit of age and experience especially in regard to relationships, I am hopefully doing a reasonable job, but I just feel a bit sorry for him...

Having said that, I also feel proud. He's a wonderful young man, but I'm not sure whether there's anything else I can do to support him, as I have of course got a biased view but equally I don't want to give him any sort of impression my love is conditional upon him ceasing use of dairy/eggs...

What do you all think?
    Last edited by Peabrain; Jun 9th, 2013 at 06:05 PM.

Hi Pea, it sounds like you have a wonderfully thoughtful teenaged son. Most teenage boys can barely see past their game consoles!

I'm sure he doesn't think that your love is conditional on him being vegan. Just be supportive and help him as much as you can while accepting him for who he is.

Most teenaged vegetarians would love to have a supportive mother like you! Most teenaged vegetarians get mild acceptance from their parents at best. I went vegetarian as a teenager and my parents were accepting. One of my friends at that time mentioned going vegetarian to her parents and they said that vegetarians were stupid and that she wasn't allowed be one!!!
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: My son is going through a vegan awakening.

Quote Peabrain View Post
    What do you all think?
    I think he's going have to learn that all minds are not equal PB.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Maybe if he hasn't already he would enjoy getting involved with a veg/animal youth group with people facing similar issues? This might be a possible starting point http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/YOUTH/veggie/ALL/// it seems to accept that not everyone is vegan.

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Most teenage boys can barely see past their game consoles!
    Hehe.. He's going to college in Sept, to do video game development! He's a funny lad, and a TOTAL games geek (which he's quite proud about)!

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    I think he's going have to learn that all minds are not equal PB.
    LOL... He's already worked that one out - he even realises that some adults aren't even as enlightened as him (plus I think he secretly thinks he's cleverer than the average joe - and I suspect he may well be right)...

Quote harpy View Post
    Maybe if he hasn't already he would enjoy getting involved with a veg/animal youth group with people facing similar issues?
    Sounds like an idea... I've also steered him to the vegan bodybuilding site (esp. as he is presently on a plan to do some fitness stuff)...

Basically I've been sharing with him about the practicalities (where to get the food/toiletries etc, checking ingredients - which he's getting quite good at, and the like), but also vegan and non-vegan relationships and how to talk to people or when to bow out (if someone's being a w**ker), and he's very witty (as CS has seen in the "comebacks" thread)... He he he...

I guess I just sympathise with his disappointment in humanity, it's understandable, but he's a young'un so I guess I feel more protective. It's like you once said to me Cupid, the red/blue pill in "The Matrix" - he's chosen the right one, but it's not an easy choice eh?