Thread: Meat free mince withdrawn?

Default Meat free mince withdrawn?

Is anyone having difficulty getting this? Asda have a notice saying "Product Withdrawal" and I couldn't find any in Tesco either. I've had a quick look on the Sainsbury's website and there doesn't seem to be any vegan mince available there either. Strange that three stores would withdraw a product at the same time.

Unhappy Re: Meat free mince withdrawn?

Quote Zoe View Post
    Is anyone having difficulty getting this? Asda have a notice saying "Product Withdrawal" and I couldn't find any in Tesco either. I've had a quick look on the Sainsbury's website and there doesn't seem to be any vegan mince available there either. Strange that three stores would withdraw a product at the same time.

Dear God, it's not going to turn that this has horsemeat in it too.

Default Re: Meat free mince withdrawn?

Quote Zoe View Post
    Possibly all three had the same source of manufacture?

Morrisons veggie mince was, imho, the best of the lot anyway.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

I don't buy it but I read something somewhere about Linda McCartney mince having been withdrawn and that it was thought to be because of contamination with raw soya (definitely better than horse). I wonder if that has affected other brands as well.

There is a bit about it on here https://www.facebook.com/LindaMcCart...eline?filter=2 but you have to look quite hard so I'll splice in one of the messages here - I don't suppose anyone will mind as it's a public page

thank you for getting in touch. A number of valued customers have been asking why they can’t get hold of some of our products, and we are very happy to explain. First of all – there has not been any recall but a small number of lines have been withdrawn.

Here at Linda McCartney Foods, we value you, our customers, and your confidence in us. That’s why we took the proactive and precautionary step of asking shops to withdraw some of our products from their shelves.

It’s important to stress our rigorous testing procedures have found no problems with any of our meals, and we’ve had no reports of problems from our customers. What is behind this situation is that we set extremely high quality and rigorous standards for the food we produce, and one of our soya ingredients did not meet that standard.

We’ve worked every step of the way with the UK Government’s Food Standards Agency on this and have taken a highly cautionary approach to this and have chosen to withdraw some products. If you’ve already bought one the withdrawn products follow the instructions, cook it as normal and enjoy!

If you’ve bought any of the 7 products listed below, you can contact us at customercare@lindamccartneyfoods.co.uk for a full refund and for a personal response.

Thank you for your understanding about this. We’re working really hard to make these products available to you again as soon as possible.

Linda McCartney Meat Free Mince 10kg
    Linda McCartney Meat Free Mince 300g
    Linda McCartney Meat Free Mince 454g
    Linda McCartney Food Service Meat Free Mince 1kg
    Linda McCartney Vegemince 1kg
    Linda McCartney Vegetarian Sunday Roast 268g
    Linda McCartney chilled meat free sausages 300g
    5 June at 11:56 · Like

Quote VampireJack View Post
    Asda's mince tasted like something people who hate horses would feed to horses, of that much I am certain.

Quote VampireJack View Post
    Neigh.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Plenty to be had at Aldi and Lidl, not tried it so can't say what it taste like

Quote The Mighty Bosh View Post
    Plenty to be had at Aldi and Lidl, not tried it so can't say what it taste like
    Do they do a soya mince?

I have to say that I do like the frozen soya mince, great for pasta and shepherd's pie. I miss it as I can't get it here, I use tvp instead.
    Houmous atá ann!

Morrisons have their soya mince in. I bought some yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Risker View Post
    Neigh.
    Oh dear ...

FWIW we tend to use a mixture of lentils, cracked wheat and veg in place of mince - have tried one or two of the fake minces in the past and found them a bit indigestible.

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Do they do a soya mince?

I have to say that I do like the frozen soya mince, great for pasta and shepherd's pie. I miss it as I can't get it here, I use tvp instead.
    No Idea sorry, just seen it in the freezer department, it's not something I would pick up.

Quote harpy View Post
    FWIW we tend to use a mixture of lentils, cracked wheat and veg in place of mince - have tried one or two of the fake minces in the past and found them a bit indigestible.
    Fake???

Minds me of a bit of a wind-up I did on a non-veggie forum a long time back ..

Jist of it was my complaint about faking decent veggie foods (like bacon) with similarly tasting bits of dead animals because people were too damn lazy to cook real food properly.

Quite a few people bit - but then I'm not sure that I didn't have a valid point in actuality.

"Real food" (i.e. unprocessed vegetable matter) is arguably preferable to both from health and, er, gastronomic point of views, but there's nothing wrong with the occasional veg mince or bacon for those whose digestions are up to the job. It's really only TVP based stuff that gives me the gut-rot, if anyone's interested.

H&B do dry TVP, on the rare occasion we have it, that's what I tend to use. I really only use it for making tacos though. It's good because it doesn't take up freezer space, it's cheap, you get a huge amount in a bag and you can really flavour it well when rehydrating it.

Quote harpy View Post
    It's really only TVP based stuff that gives me the gut-rot, if anyone's interested.
    I am, please, tell me more.

What's it worth?

Still none the wiser about this issue!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

It isn't back in Sainsburys yet. Anyone heard anything? It seems strange it's not been replaced with a new batch by now.

I like it, it's good if you want to make a quick meal.

I have emailed the big 3 (Asda, Tesco & Sainsbury) asking for an explanation. So far only Asda has responded:

"
    Response Via Email (Rachel Nicholson) 05/08/2013
    Hi Firestorm

Thanks for contacting me about the availability of Asda meat free mince.

I'm sorry you can no longer buy it in your local store and I can certainly appreciate your disappointment if you used it alot in your meals. I have shared your feedback with our Buying team as this is vital in order to improve the range of products we offer.

I can confirm that it has been discontinued which means that we will not be re introducing in to our range in the near future. We do change our ranges though on a regular basis to go with customer demand and we’re always interested in what products our customers like and would also like to see back in our stores.

I have passed your comments over to the relevant team so they can be taken into consideration on our review of our product ranges. I would like to assure you that we are working with our supplier to re-developing the product and get them back on the shelf as quickly as possible.

I'm pleased I’ve been able to answer your question. If you need any further help, please call me or one of my colleagues on 0800 952 0101. Once again thanks for writing and allowing me to help.

Kind regards

Rachel Nicholson
    Asda Service Team"

Interesting facebook discussion about what's happened to the mince. Didn't like the idea of them finding pork in it! All very mysterious https://www.facebook.com/tesco/posts/522290394496763

I had a look at that. Bit scary that Morrisons told someone there was pork in it.

I got a response from Sainsburys (I have replied asking to know what the quality issue is):
    "
    Dear Mr Firestorm

Thank you for your email asking why you can no longer buy our frozen vegetarian mince anymore. We are always pleased to answer questions from our customers.

We always aim to make your shopping experience as pleasant and easy as possible. We know how important it is to have products available that customers want to buy.

This product is currently on hold as we have had a quality issue with the manufacturing process.We are working on resolving this to ensure that the product meets our high quality standards again. We are hoping to have this product back on our shelves soon.

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us and I hope you seen this product back on the shelves in your local store soon.

Yours sincerely"

You can mail order it from vbites (they were Redwood foods). I've only had it once, when trying it on hubby, who thought it okay.
    You can also buy dried tvp from asian stores.

I've been wondering where it has gone! I use it a lot and love it. Hope they get it back on the shelves soon because I really don't like the Quorn one

Quote MrsMcGleem View Post
    I really don't like the Quorn one
    Never tried it, it has egg in.

I have had no response from Sainsburys regarding what this supposed quality issue is (after several follow up emails). I have informed them that I will be taking their silence as a bad sign and will be contacting the FSA.

Well, I hope it doesn't have anything too bad wrong with it because I found half a bag in the back of the freezer today and made it into shepard's pie.

I don't like the way the supermarkets all have different answers. That's when you can actually get any kind of answer at all!

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Never tried it, it has egg in.

I have had no response from Sainsburys regarding what this supposed quality issue is (after several follow up emails). I have informed them that I will be taking their silence as a bad sign and will be contacting the FSA.
    OMG! I didn't know that. Am very new to Veganism

Don't worry MrsMcG, it takes a while to figure these things out. Just as well you didn't like it eh? In the US I believe some Quorn products are now vegan but I don't know if any of the ones here are

Quote harpy View Post
    Don't worry MrsMcG, it takes a while to figure these things out. Just as well you didn't like it eh? In the US I believe some Quorn products are now vegan but I don't know if any of the ones here are
    Thanks

It appears that the mince wont be back for a while http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/companies...347458.article

The comments on that article are sad.

I bought this in Tesco the other day http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ.../?id=279446494 you don't get much in a packet and it isn't that tasty but I added tomato puree, soy sauce, half a spoon of sugar and a load of fried mushrooms and it was pretty good.

On the rare occassions that we use mince we just use the dry stuff from holland and barrett, just need to add some stock to rehydrate it.

Quote Risker View Post
    On the rare occassions that we use mince we just use the dry stuff from holland and barrett, just need to add some stock to rehydrate it.
    I'm using that now too ..

Wouldn't mind at all if I could still find mushroom ketchup (not actualy a ketchup at all, it's as watery as Soy sauce) to marinate it in. That stuff, if you can find any, works really well.

You can get the mushroom ketchup in Waitrose (our one, anyway)- my OH just bought some, apparently

Quote Clueless Git View Post
    mushroom ketchup (not actualy a ketchup at all, it's as watery as Soy sauce)
    Is that mushroom soya sauce? That exists too
    Houmous atá ann!

Not sure about CG but I meant this:

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product...37074011&dnr=y

I recently read an article that said the meat free mince will be back on sale in mid- November, let's hope it is.

Quote harpy View Post
    Not sure about CG but I meant this:

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product...37074011&dnr=y
    That's the fellah!

Not real name!

Sainsburys have got their own label mince back on sale. Bring on the spag bol.

Nice one...

I still haven't seen it back in Tesco Meanwhile, the Quorn range expands and pushes vegan options out
    Houmous atá ann!

I have noticed that Tesco are selling their own frozen meat free mince again.

Quote sandra View Post
    I have noticed that Tesco are selling their own frozen meat free mince again.
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ.../?id=266073027 Good to see they're selling it again - but so far not at my local branch, which is really annoying. I've tried the new Meat Free Bolognese and didn't like it at all.

Hopefully it will reach your branch soon Veganista. I'm surprised we have it over here as we are always the last to get new products. I completely agree about the Bolognese mix............I didn't like it either, it had a really strange flavour to it.