Thread: Animal intelligence

Default Animal intelligence

Sheep might be dumb ... but they're not stupid

Studies show that farmyard animals have a range of emotions and a sharp intelligence

Mark Townsend, environment correspondent
    Sunday March 6, 2005
    The Observer

Cursed with a maddening cluck and a comic strut that would put John Cleese to shame, the chicken, headless or not, is thought by many to be one of the world's daftest animals. Yet new research reveals they are in fact rather clever.

Evidence that the humble hen can master complex tricks that would make most dog owners proud is among a wealth of research to be unveiled at the largest conference ever staged to investigate animal sentience.

The findings, seen by The Observer, offer compelling evidence that creatures caricatured as mindlessly dumb can feel emotions usually associated with humans, such as jealousy, love and loss. Some are crafty enough to hatch machiavellian plots worthy of those who stalk the corridors of Whitehall.

Sheep, ridiculed for a non-questioning herd mentality, possess a sharp sense of individuality and can recognise the faces of at least 10 people and 50 other sheep for at least two years. Scientists at the Babraham Institute in Cambridge also discovered that sheep react to facial expressions and, like humans, prefer a smile to a grimace.

Further studies which reinforce the notion that sheep are more like us than previously believed involved tests showing they mourn absent individuals. Scientists claim such findings are increasingly challenging the belief that farmyard animals have no 'sense of self', a notion that could have profound implications for the way Britain's creatures are farmed.

Pigs were similarly found to have a cerebral capacity beyond the popular preconception of a farm animal. Researchers at Bristol University found that pigs are masters of deceit, deliberately misleading other pigs if it would result in more food for themselves.

Chickens command an extraordinary degree of self-control over food. They are willing to delay gratification if they think a larger portion will be offered in due course.

Other research that threatens the longevity of the phrase 'headless chicken' found that the creatures boast a greater sense of spatial awareness than young children. In tests, chickens could learn tricks such as opening doors and navigating mazes with a speed usually the preserve of dogs and horses. These findings suggest that the character of Ginger, the sharp-witted chicken who leads her colleagues to escape from a farm in the 2000 film Chicken Run, may not be as ironic as its makers intended.

The results that may most perturb animal welfare groups are those that suggest chickens can feel pain. Tests found that those known to be experiencing some form of discomfort or lameness chose food laced with morphine when given the choice. By contrast, chickens who were fully fit chose feed that was not spiked with an analgesic.

Another creature similarly viewed by modern society as little more than a benign food source - the cow - is also shown to be an astute animal capable of solving riddles with an intellect more traditionally associated with an ape. Studies at Oxford University found that Betty, a Caledonian heifer, instinctively bent a piece of wire, using a gap in her food tray to create a hook that allowed her to scrape food from the bottom of a jar.

Scores of scientists and government delegates from 43 countries will attend the London conference in 10 days' time to discuss whether society's attitude to animals needs re-examining. They will also hear how wood mice build their own signposts, using sticks and stones to mark sites where food is abundant or marking short-cuts back to their burrow.

The reputation of parrots as purveyors of a broad vocabulary is also reinforced with one study documenting how a grey parrot mastered 1,000 words and learnt to communicate in a manner that would shame some British adults. Parrots have an intellect comparable to a five-year-old human, and the conference will hear how potential parrot owners must weigh up buying one as if they were adopting a 'small child'.

The conference comes at a time when the food industry is being forced to address mounting consumer concern over the structure of Britain's food industry and factory farming.

Among those speaking are officials from McDonald's and the World Bank's private sector arm, whose responsibilities include livestock investment. Leading theologians will also argue that Christian and Islamic faiths need to update their attitudes towards animals by bestowing an intrinsic value similar to that given to people.

Joyce D'Silva, chief executive of animal welfare group Compassion in World Farming Trust, which is organising the two-day summit, said: 'Government and business will have to address animal sentience because consumer concern about the treatment of animals will increasingly influence spending patterns in the coming decades.'

Tomorrow a cross-party parliamentary group on animal welfare will unveil its report into the use of animals in the development of vaccines for humans. The report, which will reopen the debate on the worth of vivisection, calls for the urgent development of new ways of testing vaccines without using animals. Currently 1.5 million animals are used in the European Union each year in the development of vaccines.

Not just parrot fashion ...

Fish are renowned for having a three-second memory; however, evidence suggests they can be highly manipulative and cultured.

Parrots, when shown two different objects, can use language to describe differences in their colour, shape and texture.

Sheep can carry the mental image of another sheep or person for two years.

Chickens feel intention and expectation and can tell people apart.

Pigs may use a sophisticated form of consciousness to deceive other animals for greater personal reward.

Elephants make graves by breaking branches to cover their dead colleagues. They have a large hippocampus, the part of the brain that stores mental maps.

Special reports
    Animal rights
    Hunting
    Foot and mouth disease
    BSE Crisis
    What's wrong with our food?
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

I love chicken clucking noises - don't know what he is going on about but the material is interesting.

PinkFluffyCloud

I love watching animals think up clever schemes!

In my horse-riding days I had a big grey horse called 'Barney'. When he wasn't feeling like going out for exercise he would refuse his food. I fell for it loads of times, thinking he was ill, and said "oh well, Barn, if you're not well I guess you'd better go out to play in the field with your girlfriend ('Maisie'). As soon as he was free in the field he'd kick up his hind legs and gallop around before stuffing his face with grass. Once he'd got his own way he'd be very happy to eat whatever he was offered!

Also, when I was a kid, we had Chickens in our back garden. My mum (believe it or not!!), used to make Porridge for them on cold Winter days. Soon they grew to love the warm Porridge and would refuse their normal grain until my mother returned with the Porridge!

As for Sheep, I find them very clever. They soon get to know you. There are some who live near me and since I walk past their field every day, they have got to know my voice and will even come over to me with their new Lambs, even when I have a big puffing Alsation dog with me, yet they will run away from unfamiliar people straight away.

I could write a huge book about all the animal observations I've made over the years, and they have taught me way more about friendship, humility, and loyalty than most humans I have met.

None of that surprised me, I saw Babe and Chicken Run . Humans are so arrogant to think that other animals don't have a similar emotional range to ours. Just a way to conviently justify mistreating and eating them.

PinkFluffyCloud

The thing I don't understand is this - if people love their 'pets' so much and are witness to the fact that they are intelligent, emotional beings, why do they not apply the same feelings to non-pet type animals? What is it about certain creatures that people find them EDIBLE????

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    The thing I don't understand is this - if people love their 'pets' so much and are witness to the fact that they are intelligent, emotional beings, why do they not apply the same feelings to non-pet type animals? What is it about certain creatures that people find them EDIBLE????
    I know, I can never understand that either.

i caught some of a local news article on tv while at work last night and it showed ancient footage of an interview with bernard matthews talking (back in the 60's i think it was) about intensive farming of animals and how it would become the preferred farming method of the future (as it in deed has) to provide the cheapest possible food to an increasing population. and with regard to animal welfare he was saying that it wasn't a major concern as they are not anywhere near as developed as humans (i can't remember his exact phraseology - but you know what i mean).

anyway, i just got really frustrated and thought WANKER!!

PinkFluffyCloud

Oh, Tofu, that really stinks - imagine there was a day when intensive farming could have been stopped in it's tracks. What a wasted opportunity.

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    Yes, It's really strange how people cannot make the connection with other animals as well when you live with one and see that they're feeling thinking beings. I became a vegan and very interested in animal issues after I got my dog. But most people around me shake their heads when I make the comparsion between my dog and a cow. Well, my dog may appear to be more intelligent just because he's taught stuff and doesn't have to live in a stressful environment tied up in a barn all day. Who would not appear stupid if they were given these type of unnatural living conditions without any stimulating interaction whatsoever?
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Besides, animals also have their own launguages. It's just that we humans are too stupid or arrogant to learn and understand the different types. To acknowledge that they exist would be a good start. Some do great efforts to analyse them, though. Jane Godall is one of them. Before she started her work, people didn't think much of apes, either.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

What a great article, it's a shame the people who *need* to read it either won't or just won't believe it if they do. It would be great to see something like this on the national news or something where everyone will see it.

I thought it might be handy referrence for anyone that starts on the 'dumb unfeeling animals' line. While I find that I forget the details of why I am vegan (there are soooo many to hold in your head) that they are not available as ready referrence when people that don't know ask sometimes - ie - fish. REading about these things mught help us next time we are talking to an omni on the topic.

I know from experience that cats are very devious and clever at making sure they get their own way and they do things which show obvious foresight and logical thinking (I know that's not exclusive to cats but I'm just thinking of my own two).

When my cats want me to get up in the morning to feed them they will start by walking backwards and forwards over my pillow (on my hair) to make sure I have their full attention. If that fails they will go to stage 2: jumping onto my stomach from a great height. Failing that, they try the 'Let's be as irritating, destructive and noisy as possible' routine by pushing paws through the bottom of the bed and attacking my feet, digging up the blankets and knocking items one by one of my chest of drawers (I'm not joking, they knock something onto the floor then wait for my reaction before knocking off something else). The final tactic if I'm still not out of bed is to try and drag me out manually by grabbing my face. I've even had a claw or two inserted up my nose and tugged before. Then once I'm actually up, they try to steer me towards the food by tripping me up and trying to get me to follow them. Who says animals are daft?

"A nose for danger - Ten years ago, a Belgian rodent-lover decided that rats were smart enough to detect land mines. Now, he's training an African species to do just that - and it's working." So begins an interesting article in The Independent. To read in full:
    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...p?story=618385
    Eve

Stu

Stu

Quote feline01
    Humans are so arrogant to think that other animals don't have a similar emotional range to ours. Just a way to conviently justify mistreating and eating them.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I've never understood why people assume something so ridiculous as "fish don't feel pain". Aaargh! Well said Feline01.

Default kinda thread related

Author says spare a thought for lambs

11 March 2005, stuff.co.nz

American vegan author Jeffrey Masson says farm animals have complex emotions and would feel better if we grow lettuce on the land, not lambs. Heather Tyler of NZPA talks to him about his latest book and to farmers who find his animal welfare views hard to swallow.

New Zealanders may have difficulty admitting they feel any sympathy or compassion for sheep because of their significance to the country's economy, Jeffrey Masson writes in his book, The Pig Who Sang to the Moon.

The New Zealand-based writer asserts that farm animals, so often despised or abused, feel complex emotions – among them love, loyalty, friendship, sadness, grief and sorrow. Domesticated animals are little removed from wild ancestors and keep the feelings they had when they were able to run free.

Farmers should rethink the way they keep their animals, to take account of their feelings, if farmers want to keep them at all, Masson told NZPA.

"The most I can hope for is that they at least think about it. Most people aren't ready to think about these things."

Federated Farmers vice-president Charlie Pedersen says the reality is most people around the world are not averse to eating a lamb chop or drinking cow's milk. They don't see it as an imposition on an animal.

Masson, who has lived in Auckland for four years, is used to his views being unpopular.

He's been writing about animal rights and animals' feelings for a decade, in best-selling books with such titles as When Elephants Weep and Dogs Never Lie About Love.

"They just make fun of me here. Oh, here comes this American, what does he know about it?"

Mr Pedersen does agree with Masson's opposition to intensive, confined-space farming and force-feeding animals, commonly practised in the northern hemisphere.

"In comparison to practices in Europe where animals are housed in very small spaces, animals in New Zealand get to live a free range existence, a more natural life. And that's the way consumers everywhere want the world to go," Mr Pedersen says.

However, he says Masson's book is "shallow and poorly researched"; his content on New Zealand being anecdotal and not scientific.

"You're talking about taking away (farmers') livelihoods. He's expecting us to treat farm animals the way we would treat our cats."

PinkFluffyCloud

I have been having a real problem watching Lambs, lately. To see them skipping about in the fields, or rushing over to their mums for a feed - it just seems grotesque. How futile, to breed these wonderful creatures who have this strong sense of fun and survival, then take them from their mothers and kill them.

I just feel quite sick when I see people watching the Lambs frolick, knowing that these same people will soon be eating them. Sorry to be morbid and depressing, but for some reason it is getting to me more than ever these days and I am finding it hard to cope with.

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    I have been having a real problem watching Lambs, lately. To see them skipping about in the fields, or rushing over to their mums for a feed - it just seems grotesque. How futile, to breed these wonderful creatures who have this strong sense of fun and survival, then take them from their mothers and kill them.

I just feel quite sick when I see people watching the Lambs frolick, knowing that these same people will soon be eating them. Sorry to be morbid and depressing, but for some reason it is getting to me more than ever these days and I am finding it hard to cope with.
    It would be really rough for me as well if I had to see that on a daily basis. I feel for you . I still cry when I drive or walk past dead squirrels, raccoons, and other animals that have fatally encountered cars .

Quote kriz
    Besides, animals also have their own launguages. It's just that we humans are too stupid or arrogant to learn and understand the different types.
    I know this true myself. I have cared for many animals myself, from farm animal to domesticated ones and found that their tone and inflections mean a world's worth of language in human terms. It's just humans are too dense to try to learn their language.

The animals also have emotions like we do, too. I've found this true weather it's cows or cats doing the "talking". There's no difference. They all make way to put their point across and some can REALLY let you know what's what.

And yet, knowing this, I still can't understand why some animals are called "pets" and some are called "dinner".
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.