Thread: Ms Cupcake: The Naughtiest Vegan Cakes in Town by Mellissa Morgan

Default Ms Cupcake: The Naughtiest Vegan Cakes in Town by Mellissa Morgan

This is a lovely book from Ms Cupcake, I've just made a chocolate cake with vanilla "butter" cream icing (adapted the Turkish delight cake by taking out the rose (the book recommends doing this if you just want a great chocolate cake)), the recipe is great but didn't state what shelf to put the cake on. I used the middle and after the 20 minutes cooking time it looked good but was very wobbly and was still wet when poked with a cake tester, another 10 minutes on the top shelf finished it off nicely. Next time I will just stick it on the top in the beginning.

I've been thinking of getting this book. It seems like it has a high production value (pictures etc) and recipes that are a bit different. I know that there are jammy dodger and jaffa cake recipes but is there anything else fun/unusual? Are there any special ingredients?
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Ms Cupcake: The Naughtiest Vegan Cakes in Town by Mellissa Morgan

The are some fun recipes (Turkish Delight Cake, Bakewell Tart Cupcake, Rhubarb & Custard Cake (With Rhubarb & Custard Sweets), Neapolitan triple layer cake, Doughnuts, Dessert Sandwiches, Deep Fried Chocolate Bars). There are no special ingredients except possibly xylitol.

Hi Blueberries and Firestorm
    I posted on another thread about how much I like this book. I've baked quite a lot from it and last week I did nanaimo bars (but omitted the coconut) and hubby loved them.
    He loves me trying out all the new recipes, means he has cake to eat.
    My neice was down a few weeks ago (the one who bought it me for my birthday) and we made syrup cupcakes and also made a mess decorating them. I didn't have an icing kit, but she's clever and made one out of greaseproof paper, the cakes didn't look perfect but tasted brilliant. Especially after a late night at Wembley (Killers gig).
    My neice is veggie and has been for over 25 years, so I tested out vegan stuff on her. Seitan sandwiches went down well!

I am an adopted Brixton native (well, sort of, not really...) but I do live in Brixton so I picked this up for a piece of local "history" (is that the word I want?) if nothing else. I was please to discover it's excellent. You can tell it's heavily inspired by Isa Chandra's cupcake book, but that isn't to say it doesn't hold up in its own right. I was particularly pleased with the recipe for Rocky Roads.

As Blueberries mentioned, the production values are superb, and you get really good quality photos of the stuff, which I always think is nice to have. You pay a price premium for the nice photos and all, so I suppose it depends on your budget. It's not a very cheap cookbook in terms of pennies per recipe, but it is a very good cookbook, and you won't be disappointed with the results, especially if you like desserts.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.