Thread: Might sound bonkers... But I'm an adult, and am taller since being vegan!

Default Might sound bonkers... But I'm an adult, and am taller since being vegan!

I have recently discovered that I am now 5 foot 3 inches, having been only just over 5 foot 2 inches tall since the age of 13...

I'm THIRTY FOUR!

Now obviously less than an inch is not a huge increase, but considering my fairly short overall height, it is rather a significant increase for an ADULT to grow by, and it's definitely NOT anything to do with my measuring tape...

Now, believe me, when I was a teenager I desperately wanted to be a catwalk model (yes, I know *shamefaced*) and that extra "bit-of-an-inch" meant a lot to me, but I just stopped growing and after years of re-measuring and getting no joy, at about 18, I resigned myself to being a shorty.

Who knew I would be able to become one now?

Hehehe...

But seriously, anyone else had changes happen since becoming vegan, which are usually only an adolescent occurrence?
    Last edited by Peabrain; Jul 17th, 2013 at 07:21 AM.

I'm a shorty too, just under 5'3'' (1.6 metres). I've always wanted to be tall, nobody takes us tiny people seriously when we're angry

It could be just general fluctuations, ie being taller in the morning due to muscles relaxing during sleep.
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Might sound bonkers... But I'm an adult, and am TALLER since being vegan!

Have you been doing anything back exercises or yoga or anything like that? The way you stand can knock up to two inches off your height.

I'm a bit of a short-arse too. I'm 5'7", which is fairly short for a man. It doesn't bother me a bit though.

You and Blueberries are practically giants compared to my OH who's five foot nothing!
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Default Re: Might sound bonkers... But I'm an adult, and am TALLER since being vegan!

As I found out after being in a body cast and lying down for 6 weeks, your spine can 'plump up' temporarily, the discs decompress a bit.

I thought of those things at first, but I haven't done anything differently, and this height change is consistent, whether it's morning or evening, AND has stayed the same for about 6 months. I'm definitely actually taller! lol...

Actually, it doesn't sound bonkers. I'm taller too! +2 cm at 38 yrs, the nurse who was measuring my hight could not believe her eyes! Finally she jammed the measuring-thingy almost INTO my head, trying desperately to make me shorter..!

I have been taking Alexander technique lessons, maybe that's why. The theory is, often all the stress stays in your body - it doesn't always go back to your normal tall relaxed being after differend kinds of (emotional) pressure. So, maybe I've remembered who I was meant to be, and thus stand taller?

An importand part of this relaxed "I'm who I am" is definitely being vegan. Maybe you too have released some old stress, and because of that now stand taller?

Yes, maybe. I do feel that way, just more proud of who I am as a person.

It's amazing the effect, isn't it?

Default Re: Might sound bonkers... But I'm an adult, and am taller since being vegan!

Yes, it sure is - in so many ways!

Default Re: Might sound bonkers... But I'm an adult, and am taller since being vegan!

No you are not crazy! I also grew 2 cm in one year after going vegan at the age of 27. Before i was 174 and I had mesured many many times. Had been that for at least 10 years. Suddenly boom. In fact it was not just me who noticed it but my wife and others. I am now taller than someone who was taller just before I went vegan and he agrees too. It is not supposed to be possible but it is real. But I have no idea why?

As others have implied, it's probably to do with posture. Standing tall and proud as a vegan!