Thread: Soft serve ice cream

Default Soft serve ice cream

Before I became vegan, my favourite type of the ice cream was the vanilla soft serve. Since I have become vegan, I have had some different types of vegan soy ice cream and yes, they are quite delicious.

BUT there's no soy soft serve ice cream, obviously...and that's what I'm craving. It's sucks because my new driver's ed course is right beside Dairy Queen, Home of the Soft Serve ice cream. I won't give in to the temptations, don't worry. But I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good substitute? Would blending normal vanilla soy ice cream until it's creamy work?

I recently came up with the idea of blending soy vanilla ice cream with some strawberries and bananas. I know it's not soft serve ice cream or close to it, but it sounds delicious.

I've had Oatcreme soft serve.

http://www.veggieboards.com/gallery/...p?i=4474&c=506
    i know this might not help you exactly, but know it does exist... i wanna try it too

Well, if you're ever in NYC, I know a health food store that sells vegan soft-serve. It's odd though because sometimes it's great and other times, it sucks.

Quote Tigerlily
    I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good substitute? Would blending normal vanilla soy ice cream until it's creamy work?

I recently came up with the idea of blending soy vanilla ice cream with some strawberries and bananas. I know it's not soft serve ice cream or close to it, but it sounds delicious.
    AFAIK, it would work on a per-batch basis, but it wouldn't freeze well.

I think the idea of the strawberries and bananas sounds quite nice. Let us know if it's a decent substitute for softserve or not.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

Update!

I went to the grocery store last night wanting to buy fresh strawberries and some vanilla soy ice cream. Well, they only had one box of strawberries and they were all squishy looking and not very appealing...plus it was 3.99! So I went and got strawberry flavoured soy ice cream (yum). When I got home, I put some in a blender/food processor that has a plastic blade for blending (half a cup, I'm 'trying' to watch my Weight Watchers plan). I blended one banana and one small banana. It was very thick, so I poured a little bit of soy milk in it. Yummy. It was a very yummy strawberry "milkshake" but it would have been better with real strawberries, though.

In conclusion: No, it wasn't like soft serve ice cream. But yes, it was a very yummy subsitute for my cravings. And oh so filling. I think it might work with soy yougurt too for a breakfast smoothie...now I see why a lot of people drink smoothies for breakfast (filling!).

im pretty sure that blending plain vanilla icecream in a food processer with a tiny bit of vanilla soymilk will give it that soft serve icecream consistency.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Squeakity

Default Re: Soft serve ice cream

I don't know if it's just a So. Cal chain, but Heidi's Frogen Yozurt has soft serve Tofutti. They vary the flavors every couple of months. I find I prefer Soy Dream that's been left to "cool" for a little while, but it's nice to be able to go out for ice cream.

Squeak

Hmmmmm that sounds yummy. Is it my imagination or wasn't there an Australian person on here a while ago, that had a business selling their own vegan soft-serve?

Swedish glace is pretty soft-serve ish is it not? (or am I being ignorant about what exactly soft serve is like?? It has been a long time.)

I make mint choc chip ice cream and it's great when first made, but once it has been in the freezer is sets as hard as a brick! No good for those sudden ice cream cravings.

So
    Quote cherry
    Swedish glace is pretty soft-serve ish is it not? (or am I being ignorant about what exactly soft serve is like?? It has been a long time.)

Soft serve is what you would get from a machine in an ice cream van - like a mister whippy or something.

If I ever have a restaurant I will buy a soft serve ice cream maker - you can pick them up for about £1000 or so on ebay, less if you're in America.

You can also get domestic soft serve makers - they're pretty much like normal ice cream makers in that you have to freeze the bowl but it is then mounted on an angle so you can pull a lever and it dispenses the ice-cream (I think that's how they work, anyway, I've never seen one in real life).

Aha - thanks Twinkle. I do distantly recall Mr Whippy.

Wow! Soft serve ice cream maker sounds pretty fantastic. Wish the whole world was vegan and you could get vegan chocolate flakes.

Domestic soft serve makers!!! Its the stuff of dreams! Is this another ebay thing *trundles off to look* I might save up all my pocket money to get me one of them (one day...)

By the way Cherry, Vegan store have newly got 'sprinkles' in, and I think that might include chocolate flavour. Might not be quite what you'd like but worth a look perhaps. Havent tried them though, they might taste like poo
    www.myspace.com/natureworks1

[QUOTE=pixeequeen By the way Cherry, Vegan store have newly got 'sprinkles' in, and I think that might include chocolate flavour. Might not be quite what you'd like but worth a look perhaps. Havent tried them though, they might taste like poo[/QUOTE]

So they have! Thanks Pixeequeen. Not quite the same as a flake but would look cool on cupcakes. I'm just a sucker for vegan products. I'll try things I wouldn't normally have done just cos they're vegan! Have you tried their new melting marshmallows? Still saving up for a bag.

Sorry, back to the soft serve thing, is there anything you can put in ice cream to stop it freezing so much? There must be SOMETHING vegan and not too chemical that tastes nice but doesn't freeze in a solid lump? Then you could whisk it into your normal ice cream and put it back in the freezer.

When my brother and I were kids we used to just put regular ice cream in a bowl and stir like crazy. We managed to get it to Frosty consistency. But we were about six or seven and very energetic.

Anyone with access to a juicer might try the blank setting. When doing this with frozen bananas, the first thing I thought of was soft serve. You might get a similar consistency if you freeze a regular soy ice cream recipe in plastic bag covered trays. Just chop into chunks when frozen and try running it through the juicer. Even a food processer or blender might work. It's just that a juicer will give you that nice swirly effect, which is half the fun.

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

I had some soft ice cream it was from holland and barrett and wa rasberry and rasberry ripple flavour- yum! It was by swedish glace or somthing like that