Thread: Rethinking Veganism (Radio 4 program)

Default Rethinking Veganism (Radio 4 program)

Listened to this yesterday, thought it was interesting and unusually positive about Veganism. It's available to listen to on IPlayer if anyone's interested http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qnx3

Default Re: Rethinking Veganism (Radio 4 program)

Yes I quite enjoyed it as well - good to hear some positive mainstream coverage, even though it was also a bit annoying in parts. Donald Watson makes a personal contribution too!

I thought it was really positive. Certainly the first bit of mainstream media I've heard/ read that didn't make at least a few snide, derogatory remarks. I think the presence of people who used to be sceptics was helpful in that regard. The guy who talked about the different 'tribes' was a bit annoying - apart from freegan I hadn't heard of the words he was using (baketavists?! - really?!)
    Interesting about the vegan supermarket chain in Germany - very excited for the London opening. Imagine going into a full size supermarket and not having to check any labels - crazy!

I've been to the original Veganz supermarket in Berlin a couple of times and it's lovely. That's where we met a young person who couldn't get over her astonishment that my friend and I could be SO OLD and yet be vegan :/

That's funny Harpy. Why? Did she think only young people would be interested in being Vegans?

Yes Veganmonkey all those 'tribes are something I've never even heard of before. I think he made it up. Freegans aren't actually Vegan are they, I thought they just ate free food from bins etc.

Dunno, only she explained that she had been trying to persuade her mother to go vegan without success, and seemed to attribute the failure to the mother's age, so was probably surprised to encounter two counter-examples to her theory! We felt slightly miffed at the time but afterwards we started addressing each other as "you OLD vegan"

Quote VeganMonkey View Post
    baketavists?!
    Activism through baking, showing people how great vegan food can be and using that as a jumping off point to go vegan. I've seen it mentioned on Isa Chandra Moskowitz's website.
    Houmous atá ann!

Yes but Blueberries have you ever met anyone who would call themselves a Bakevist? I work in a Vegan cafe so that is basically what what we do but, no one would actually call themselves a bakevist we all just call ourselves vegans.

Had anyone heard of that project to breed animals who don't feel pain before? It was a new one on me, and pretty disturbing. Ironically, I just finished writing a critique of an environmental philosopher who criticises Singer on the grounds that utilitarian should lead us to just that conclusion!
    "Eventually, I realised that the reason I was so angry was because I want people in the world to be well." - Ian MacKaye

Exactly Mymblesdaughter - I find it quite funny that someone would actually call themselves a bakevist! I'm sure we've all tried to impress people with vegan cake but still...
    Is Veganz a full size supermarket Harpy or more like a Tesco Metro size? Sounds great. I'm hearing lots of good things about Berlin recently - will have to make a visit.
    Writhling - I think I read something about that in a Gary Francione book. It's terrifying and sickening isn't it? I can't contemplate living in a world where animals are treated like machines to that degree. That would be a bleak day for humamity.

I think I too have heard about the animals-which-don't-feel-pain idea before although I have heard a lot more about the idea of growing meat in labs/vats which is a bit different and seems more prevalent - maybe they were conflating the two ideas on the programme?

I would say the original Veganz is probably a bit bigger than a Tesco Metro but not as big as a typical supermarket here. I think some of the other branches they have opened or are planning are bigger though and I think I read one is going to be more like a department store with shoes and clothes on the same premises. They are expanding rather fast actually in terms of new branches so I hope they have a sound business plan!

ETA yes do go to Berlin, they have some great vegan restaurants (and even some worthwhile stuff that isn't anything to do with eating, I heard )

Interesting point about what vegan would refuse to eat "in vitro" meat. My instinctual response is that the idea is vile but perhaps that's illogical. From a health perspective, I prefer eating as many non-processed foods as possible, so eating animal protein grown in a lab wouldn't be appealing as a highly processed, non-natural food.