Thread: Gluten free and try to avoid soy - suggestions needed

100% sure – I'm going vegan!

Default Gluten free and try to avoid soy - suggestions needed

So I recently have decided to go vegan, although I am a bit different from most because by training I am a Registered Dietitian so I am used to looking at food labels.

Let's just say I'm frustrated right now, though. I always get caught up by SOMETHING. See, I am gluten free as well due to IBS (recommended by my gastro DR, we will see if it works..), and almost every gluten free "bread" has eggs. Almost every meat substitute has wheat. I am also hypothyroid and so I try to avoid soy.

So I feel like all I can eat other than fruits and veggies is bean chili, amy's vegetarian meals, hummus, nuts, seeds, beans, rice, and a few other things. any type of grain product is usually either not gluten free or not vegan. SO FRUSTRATED!! anyone have any suggestions?

Hi and welcome!

Gluten and soya-free veganism is do-able and there are a few blogs written by gluten and soya-free vegans, I'll have a look through my blog feed and post some links for you.

http://cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com.es/?m=1
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Gluten free and try to avoid soy - suggestions needed

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Hi and welcome!

Gluten and soya-free veganism is do-able and there are a few blogs written by gluten and soya-free vegans, I'll have a look through my blog feed and post some links for you.

http://cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com.es/?m=1
    Thanks! I will have to look. I do frequent theglutenfreevegan.com, but she does include a lot of soy recipes. I just need to expand my repertoire!

Another site you could check out is Gluten Free Goddess. Although she is not vegan currently, she has a section for vegans/vegetarians. I am not gluten free but I find that I do not consume a lot of gluten naturally eating a whole foods vegan diet and also my mother is gluten free so I make food for her on occasion. As far as grains, I cook with millet a lot and even eat it as a hot cereal for breakfast. I sometimes put it in a crockpot with fresh fruit, spices, and water and/or almond milk overnight and wake up to a nice hot breakfast. Another one is soaking buckwheat groats (raw, not the kasha) for a half hour to an hour and adding nuts, seeds, and berries for a nice granola type cold cereal. Quinoa goes well with so many things. I like to cook it with spinach and cherries. I once tried to make a millet yeast bread and it tasted really good but it was very very heavy. I have not mastered making my own gluten free yeast bread but practice helps lol. I have made gluten free rice flour banana pancakes with using ONLY white rice flour (none of the other flours you usually have to mix together) and these are some of the best pancakes I have ever made, really. I have also made a gluten free buckwheat granola cluster (from the OhSheGlows blog) and that too is awesome for a snack, breakfast, whatever. That blog does have some gluten free options also and all of her recipes are vegan. Buckwheat groats are hard to find in mainstream groceries but natural food stores often carry them. There are endless possibilities but it does take some searching. I rarely buy commercial bread anyway even as a vegan who consumes gluten. On occasion I buy Ezekiel bread but it's quite expensive as most of the vegan friendly breads are where I live. If you want the rice flour pancake or millet crockpot recipes just send me a private message and I will send them your way. As far as meat substitutes, red lentils are a good one for "meatballs" and go well in tomato sauce over spaghetti (made with quinoa or brown rice...I like the quinoa spaghetti best). Beans are going to be your best bet as far as meat substitutes. I too consume a lot of beans and very little soy. I can not tolerate tofu at all (immediate diarrhea and gastric distress) but I do consume tempeh on occasion with no issues. I have hypothyroidism so I limit but do not avoid consumption of soy. You can make bean spreads and make gluten free crackers to go with them. I have several gluten free cracker recipes I have had success with and that are hardy enough to hold a bean spread. I also have a pure cornbread recipe that does not use any other flour besides corn meal and is surprisingly very good and hold together (gluten free goddess also has a skillet cornbread recipe with sorghum and other flours that is vegan and is very good also). I wish I could share all the gluten free vegan recipes I have with you but hopefully this helps.

Quote Robinwomb View Post
    Another site you could check out is Gluten Free Goddess. Although she is not vegan currently, she has a section for vegans/vegetarians. I am not gluten free but I find that I do not consume a lot of gluten naturally eating a whole foods vegan diet and also my mother is gluten free so I make food for her on occasion. As far as grains, I cook with millet a lot and even eat it as a hot cereal for breakfast. I sometimes put it in a crockpot with fresh fruit, spices, and water and/or almond milk overnight and wake up to a nice hot breakfast. Another one is soaking buckwheat groats (raw, not the kasha) for a half hour to an hour and adding nuts, seeds, and berries for a nice granola type cold cereal. Quinoa goes well with so many things. I like to cook it with spinach and cherries. I once tried to make a millet yeast bread and it tasted really good but it was very very heavy. I have not mastered making my own gluten free yeast bread but practice helps lol. I have made gluten free rice flour banana pancakes with using ONLY white rice flour (none of the other flours you usually have to mix together) and these are some of the best pancakes I have ever made, really. I have also made a gluten free buckwheat granola cluster (from the OhSheGlows blog) and that too is awesome for a snack, breakfast, whatever. That blog does have some gluten free options also and all of her recipes are vegan. Buckwheat groats are hard to find in mainstream groceries but natural food stores often carry them. There are endless possibilities but it does take some searching. I rarely buy commercial bread anyway even as a vegan who consumes gluten. On occasion I buy Ezekiel bread but it's quite expensive as most of the vegan friendly breads are where I live. If you want the rice flour pancake or millet crockpot recipes just send me a private message and I will send them your way. As far as meat substitutes, red lentils are a good one for "meatballs" and go well in tomato sauce over spaghetti (made with quinoa or brown rice...I like the quinoa spaghetti best). Beans are going to be your best bet as far as meat substitutes. I too consume a lot of beans and very little soy. I can not tolerate tofu at all (immediate diarrhea and gastric distress) but I do consume tempeh on occasion with no issues. I have hypothyroidism so I limit but do not avoid consumption of soy. You can make bean spreads and make gluten free crackers to go with them. I have several gluten free cracker recipes I have had success with and that are hardy enough to hold a bean spread. I also have a pure cornbread recipe that does not use any other flour besides corn meal and is surprisingly very good and hold together (gluten free goddess also has a skillet cornbread recipe with sorghum and other flours that is vegan and is very good also). I wish I could share all the gluten free vegan recipes I have with you but hopefully this helps.
    Thank you! This is all very helpful. I will look for those recipes.

I have a small but useful solution for milk

I personally don't like buying almond milk and soy milk because of the things they unnecessarily add to it, and most contain carrageenan. Soo what I do for milk is I make my own almond milk, and it is SO easy

The first thing you do is you soak 1 cup of almond in water in the fridge over night (Or up to 2 days. The longer you soak the creamier it will be)
    A benefit also from soaking almonds is you are able to absorb nutrients from it that you usually would not be able to. If you ever want to you could just soak almonds and eat plain.
    When you are ready to make your almond milk, strain your almonds and give them a quick rinse. Then put them in a blender with 2-5 cups of water
    2 cups of water will give you a 2% milk thickness, while 4-5 cups will give you a thinner skim milk consistency. I personally use 4-5 cups because I will then have more milk to have

Pulse the almonds and then completely blend for about 2 minutes. Once you finish that you just strain it with a cheese cloth or a nut bag to get rid of the pulp. Squeeze the bag to get the remaining milk and voila! You have almond milk. You can eat the pulp for extra fiber and protein, or you can chuck it. I personally don't like wasting food so I try to do something with it

The total time it takes to make it is about 5 minutes

Hope this helps

That's really great. Because tryptophan is very dangerous, it is good to avoid all possible sources of it. Meat is a given, but then soy and gluten also contain this substance.
    I too am gluten-free and soy-free as well.
    I do not consume any type of protein whatsoever.
    Do koalas consume protein? No, they do not, because protein is not necessary.

Quote Eidavin View Post
    tryptophan is very dangerous, it is good to avoid all possible sources of it...
    Troll much?

We are humans not koalas and we need to consume the proteins that we can't synthesise ourselves (essential amino acids).
    Houmous atá ann!

ALL animals require the essential amino acids since only plants and microorganisms have the enzymes to produce them. -- I seriously dont know who spreads this misinformation that koalas dont need protein.

OP, please fix your vitamin D deficiency by taking a supplement or better yet, get it free via sunshine.

I'm also gluten-free vegan, and I ordered a load of grains online- buckwheat groats, millet and amaranth. I've given up on bread tbh. I have an excellent recipe for a vegan, gluten free carrot cupcake.

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Troll much?

We are humans not koalas and we need to consume the proteins that we can't synthesise ourselves (essential amino acids).
    You sound like a meat eater.
    Seriously, we're not meant to eat meat. We're meant to eat vegetables and fruits like our ancestors.

Quote Eidavin View Post
    Seriously, we're not meant to eat meat. We're meant to eat vegetables and fruits like our ancestors.
    You misunderstood what miss Blueberries was saying.

Don't forget nuts and seeds

Quote Eidavin View Post
    Hi Eidavin, I am sorry if you misunderstood me. I using a phone app so I cannot check you profile details and therefore can't gauge if you are a native English speaker.

You said that we don't need protein. We do need protein and we get all the amino acids we need from eating a variety of plants (fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and pulses). You seem to equate protein to meat, which is not true.

If you think that human beings have similar dietary needs to koalas then I am afraid that you are dangerously ignorant of basic human nutrition. I think that you should look into basic vegan nutrition, perhaps check a free reliable resource such as the Vegan Society or the International Vegetarian Union.

I think that we should base our vegan diets on science rather than illogical comparisons. To be honest I thought you were a troll as your assertion was so ludacrus.
    Houmous atá ann!

Yes, vegans (like other animals) do need carbohydrates, protein and fat to sustain their bodies.

And even if we did not, it would be quite hard to avoid any of these three, as they make up practically all foodstuffs.

Blueberries, this one is for you

Best regards,
    Andy

Quote Eidavin View Post
    You do eat protein, it is in everything you eat.

Koalas eat protein, approx 4% of their diet is protein, which isn't too different from the approximately 6% protein a human baby consumes when being breastfed
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

Quote Andy_T View Post
    Blueberries, this one is for you
    Haha, thanks Andy!
    Houmous atá ann!