Thread: High-Fructose Corn Syrup

Default High-Fructose Corn Syrup

Before I get into my topic, let me start by saying I am a new member, a proud progressive (should I have said that?), and happy to be part of this community of healthy people

Anyways, I have a petition that might be of interest to anyone who is into healthy eating, cares about the obesity epidemic, and is anti-corporate/agribusiness, against corn subsidies etc.

I am (and I am sure many of you are) concerned with the obesity epidemic. While there are many factors that contribute to obesity, some scientific research suggests that high-fructose corn syrup may be a factor (of course the corn lobby vehemently denies this.) Therefore, I started a petition on the White House website asking the Obama administration to address the obesity epidemic and ideally reduce the availability of high-fructose corn syrup.

You may read my petition HERE: wh.gov/lCiH9

Perhaps banning/taxing HFCS isn't the best way to bring down obesity rates, but my whole goal here is to spark a discussion of the obesity crisis and the unhealthy foods behind it, as well as corn subsidies.

Thank you guys in advance for your support,

Max

Default Re: High-Fructose Corn Syrup

Quote mgreene View Post
    Before I get into my topic, let me start by saying I am a new member, a proud progressive (should I have said that?), and happy to be part of this community of healthy people

Anyways, I have a petition that might be of interest to anyone who is into healthy eating, cares about the obesity epidemic, and is anti-corporate/agribusiness, against corn subsidies etc.

I am (and I am sure many of you are) concerned with the obesity epidemic. While there are many factors that contribute to obesity, some scientific research suggests that high-fructose corn syrup may be a factor (of course the corn lobby vehemently denies this.) Therefore, I started a petition on the White House website asking the Obama administration to address the obesity epidemic and ideally reduce the availability of high-fructose corn syrup.

You may read my petition HERE: wh.gov/lCiH9

Perhaps banning/taxing HFCS isn't the best way to bring down obesity rates, but my whole goal here is to spark a discussion of the obesity crisis and the unhealthy foods behind it, as well as corn subsidies.

Thank you guys in advance for your support,

Max
    There is nothing that I want more than the White House to address the economical and nutritional concerns of all artificial ingredients, preservatives, and sweeteners (sugar substitutes). The corn subsidies which started WAY back have completely ruined this country's health. I see my own family members battling food-related illnesses everyday that they cannot come to believe as preventable. As long as the USDA allows these ingredients in our food, people will feel that they are safe. Why are we (one of the most powerful nations on Earth) one of the few countries still including these ingredients? It doesn't make sense!

Thank you for bringing up this topic and I look forward to signing your petition. I have lost all interest in politics due to their lack of concern for our citizens. It seems that we must take care of ourselves and stay informed.
    Vegan-Blogger-Runner

Thank you for signing! I completely agree with you, we should be more like Europe and be skeptical of GMOs, processed ingredients, etc.

100% sure – I'm going vegan!

yep, agree with the previous poser. The white house doens't just stand idly by and let it happen: THE SUBSIDIZE IT. Ridiculous. Angering. Horrendous.