Thread: Need help with mice

Default Need help with mice

Morning! I am newhere and I need some advice. I live on alarge farm animal sanctuary. There arehundreds of acres of fields surrounding my home with legions of fieldmice. My goal is to keep the mice in thefields and not in my home. I am not willingto use poison, I don’t want to kill the mice I just want them to enjoy beingmice in the fields and stay out of my home. The weather will soon turn cold here and they will all try to moveindoors for the winter. I have six livetraps and I spend my winter loading them in the truck and driving then out tothe fields and setting them free. Itseem like they get back to the house before I do. Any suggestions?

Rocket Queen

Default Re: Need help with mice

Thank you for not being one of the people who would kill them!
    I have no suggestions other than, where possible try to make sure that they have not much reason to be in your house. No food hanging around, no holes/nooks and crannies-maybe making use of a shed to be 'mouse friendly' far away from the house?
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

Legions of mice? They'll probably like the house for warmth & shelter, even if they can't reach food. Other than live traps, which you're already doing, there are sound deterrents and mouse repellent sprays, but they may not be effective -- I've never tried them myself. Please keep us updated on how things go!

Here are a few things you could try http://www.care2.com/greenliving/5-h...d-of-mice.html

We used peppermint oil to rid our garden of rats. We have many rescue rabbits in sheds, providing the rats with food and shelter. We couldn't risk poison (not that I would poison anyway). We filled the holes, locked food away in containers and placed peppermint oil soaked rags in all the places the rats went and they left. It apparently works for mice too.
    "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

Thank you for your suggestions, after researching online, I orderedboth peppermint and eucalyptus oils. Theeucalyptus oil arrived minutes ago. Ihave to go into town in a while and I will pick up some cotton balls to soak inthe oil. I am in the process of takingapart my home, one room at a time and cleaning every crack and corner. As I clean, I am checking for any entrypoints the mice may be using. Thankgoodness I found the invasion of mice prior to the weather turning cold. Once we get cold weather, even more fieldmice would have joined the ones I already have. I operate a large farm animal sanctuary and the vegans that work herlive her as well. When one of the boysquit and moved away, I checked the bedroom to see if he forgot to bring up anytowels of bedding. I didn’t check allthe drawers. He apparently left snacksin the dresser. At least I will go intowinter with a sparkling clean home.