Thread: hello

Not currently a vegan

Default hello

hi everyone,
    I only recently decided that I should really become vegan. I've been eating 90% vegetarian for about 5 years and decided to go fully vegetarian after the horsemeat in cowsmeat affaire in Europe. I was just sick of it. But then after that one of my friends started talking about milk and how it impacts the calves and their bonds and, being a breastfeeding mum, I just felt terrible. So decided to ditch milk from my diet. I don't eat honey, so all that is left is eggs and I'm not sure if I can completely ditch eggs yet. I love chickens and want my own. The eggs I eat are homegrown from a friend. We'll see. At least I can be vegan 90% of the time and that will make a big difference!

I got many questions, though. Considering I can't eat nuts, cashews, coconut, I'm not sure how to make my diet balanced. I got a B12 deficiency, but that's fixed with tablets (actually, funny thing, since taking b12, meat has become rather tasteless, I realised I was eating meat because I can't absorb B12 properly!)
    Also got to find out how my baby is going to get a proper diet without any animal products. He loves soy milk, so that's a start. I don't think he's ever had cowsmilk, but loves cheese. Then again, haven't fed him cheese in a few weeks and he hasn't asked for it either, they're pretty adaptable at this age (1.5 yrs).

Looking forward to this journey of improving my diet and hopefully get rid of some food issues. THe plan is to fully remove all milk from my diet by december. I need some time to do research and find replacements. I'm quite proud of myself for this already as 5 years ago I had a very strong food fobia and wouldn't touch anything I didn't know.

Hi MM, welcome to the forum! Congrats on the move towards veganism!
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: hello

Hi Monkeys Mum!

Figuring out what a child will willingly eat can be a challenge for anyone. How do beans work for your family if nuts are a no-no? Soft cooked but whole, my then-toddler daughter loved them as finger food.

Eggs are a culinary cornerstone in most cultures so I can understand your reluctance to cut them out. With a wider repertoire, egg recipes are easily forgotten. If it's the flavour that you miss, black salt or kala namak has that characteristic sulfur tang and really fools 'em in an 'egg salad'.

Hope you enjoy your time here; welcome!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Not currently a vegan

thanks,

it's both the taste and the texture of the egg. I'll try this salt, but it doesn't replace a nice boiled egg. I'm sure that grosses some of you out haha, sorry about that. I did discover a very tasty recipe for satay sauce that might very well replace the easy snack.

I've been doing well so far. made vegan pancakes and muffins. Most of the meals are vegan.

just got to find a replacement for margarine, then breakfast and lunch are vegan too.

I'll get there, I am sure of that!

I like scrambled tofu, and we use ackee in the cafe as a replacement for scrambled egg. Although I was never a big fan of eggs I always found them a bit weird.

Hello Monkeysmum,

there should be vegan margarines available, e.g. Earth Balance (do not know if that is available in AUS, though). hope you get there soon

Best regards,
    Andy