Thread: Agent Orange

Thumbs down Agent Orange

There's a report in the weekend papers that a US judge has dismissed the class action brought by Vietnamese sufferers through use of agent orange in their country, dropped by US warplanes. 80 million tons of the stuff - and as you know, our favourite company, Monsanto, were the manufacturers (I'm being ironic here, Monsanto is not really my favourite company, so please don't berate me).

Judge Weinstein found the plaintiffs couldn't prove that agent orange had caused their illnesses and terrible deformities. The lawyers for Monsanto and Dow argued that they shouldn't be punished for following the orders of the US commander in chief.
    Eve

Quote eve
    - and as you know, our favourite company, Monsanto, were the manufacturers (I'm being ironic here, Monsanto is not really my favourite company, so please don't berate me).
    Fear not eve, I understand your sense of irony perfectly

Quote eve
    Judge Weinstein found the plaintiffs couldn't prove that agent orange had caused their illnesses and terrible deformities. The lawyers for Monsanto and Dow argued that they shouldn't be punished for following the orders of the US commander in chief.
    Expensive lawyers and the old 'just following orders' get-out clause. Works everytime The injustices in this world really make me despair sometimes.

How could you say that Monsanto is your favorite company?

But seriously, of course Monsanto has to win. We can't have any precedents set. Especially with the war profiteering which is going on right now.

Well, if they give the "just following orders" excuse that is basically admitting that the "orders" are to blame, and it does not excuse the person,group, or government that issued those orders. How messed up!

starsky79

It is completely ludacris but not altogether shocking, which is sad really.