Thread: If I eat a good diet for some time, will the gut heal itself?

Not currently a vegan

Default If I eat a good diet for some time, will the gut heal itself?

I have a few issues with my gut. I don't absorb/produce B12 and even when I was a huge meat eater, I was significantly low on B12 (halucinatingly low )

I think the milk has been a big issue. I am also lactose intolerant. I think the protein have been damaging the lining. I'm also intolerant to many other foods and allergic to a few as well. I have an issue with yeast overgrowth.

If I eat a good diet for some time, will the gut heal itself? Will the bacterial flora heal itself? Or should I be *doing something* other than cutting out animal products, starches and sugar (next goals, vegan first, though).

Can I some day stop taking B12 and not get that pretty purple colour? I miss the pretty purple, though haha.

Default Re: If I eat a good diet for some time, will the gut heal itself?

Please read The China Study as it talks a lot about malabsorption, B12 and all that. From what I've read of it- it arrived today, your suspicions are right. In that milk causes a 'leaky gut' and malabsorbtion. With regards to 'lactose intolerant', nobody should be drinking milk as it's unnatural. Try and get hold of the book, it's very interesting. With regards to yeast overgrowth, start taking coconut oil internally. And take turmeric and aloe vera juice to boost your immune system. Also, I wanted to reply to your other thread but can't for some reason. This is what I wanted to say- You should watch Forks Over Knives, get the cookbook and also The China Study. That will teach you all you need to know about a 'plant based diet/ vegan diet', it come from an entirely scientific/ health approach so no 'animal rights agenda', and it will show you what a 'proper diet' is and how us vegans are really not missing out. There are mothers in Asian countries who do not raise their kids on dairy. Although I am vegan for ethical reasons, after watching the film I was pretty mortified with what I'd been putting in my body all these years. Unfortunately you've got to realise that you can't replace everything. You can watch the film here http://viooz.co/movies/976-forks-over-knives-2011.html Could you tell us the things you are struggling with? What is 'Nuttelex' like? I've got some decent cake/ cupcake recipes, creamed coconut is an amazing replacement for whipped cream. I eat a lot of Asian dishes as they are naturally dairy free, I just replace the meat with tofu. I totally get you on the food phobia thing too- I had an ED and a very narrow, boring diet. Being vegan forced me out of my comfort zone and I am eating all sorts of 'weird' stuff!
    Last edited by misosoup; Sep 17th, 2013 at 01:09 PM.

I guess you will be answering that question yourself in a year or so...

saw on a program awhile back about the promotion of pro-biotics vrs eating a diet to encourage good beasties ie pre-biotics. They divided a group of Coloradans that had antibiotic treatment to kill Giardia into A. pre-biotic yogurt eaters and B. inulin eaters (onion and artichoke family).
    Those eating pre-biotics got their guts in better helpful-beastie ratio in the one month trial.

I'm figuring that a healthy gut environment allows for healing over time. Beats relying on the medical establishment.

Good luck on your journey to heath!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

You might find http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-st...FRPItAodb2wAJw worth a read Monkeys Mum.

From memory the jist of it is that gut problems caused by bad diet cannot simply be fixed by returning to good diet.

A damaged gut cannot cope with good food being the reason, as I understood it.

You need a special diet that allows the healing process before normal gut function can be expected.

The SCD diet is notoriously difficult for veg*ans to follow though.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

If I eat a good diet for some time, will the gut heal itself? Will the bacterial flora heal itself?
    Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to give a general answer to such answers on a internet/in forums. But if you were "halucinatingly low" in B12 on a meat based diet and don't absorb/manufacture B12, I can say with almost 100% certainty that switching to a vegan diet won't remove your needs for B12 supplementation. OTOH, one of the (fake) arguments pro eating meat is totally absent for you, since eating meat doesn't provide you with the B12 you need.

should I be *doing something* other than cutting out animal products, starches and sugar
    Yes, you should make sure you get enough B12 (for starters)! :-]

Can I some day stop taking B12 and not get that pretty purple colour?
    Please explain...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Did you get checked for something like Celiacs? This explains what B12 is and how we get it. http://drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/nov/b12.htm I know in my case, I believe that dairy was causing me to lose B12, as no matter how much I ate my calcium and B12 would still be low and I almost needed injections. But turning vegan, I didn't have the digestive issues any more and B12 and calcium was back to normal. But if you have something like Celiac's that won't change, unless you stop eating gluten. I'm a bit confused by your question. In my case, yes, stopping consuming dairy helped my body produce B12 and everything went back to normal. For example, my father had undiagnosed Celiac's and no matter how much animal products he consumed he was still low in B12. His mother died from pernicious anemia, which some doctors believe is caused by a 'leaky gut'.