Thread: Good news to share regarding vegan food at medical complex!

Default Good news to share regarding vegan food at medical complex!

Just over a month ago I donated a book to the director of Nutrition Services at the medical complex where I work titled "Vegan in Volume: Vegan Quantity Recipes for Every Occasion". The book has large quantity vegan recipes designed for various populations (elderly, sick, students etc). It also uses cheaper economical foods and the recipes are somewhat simple. I work in a large medical complex with several cafeterias and hospital inpatient programs. As is the case in many medical facilities in the United States, the food in these places is sorely lacking in vegan options and nutrient content. Even fresh produce is hard to come by. My mother was in the hospital some time ago and had a hard time when she requested all vegan food. The staff was not very knowledgeable on what "vegan" meant. So I thought the book would be helpful. I wrote the following letter and attached it with the book when I mailed it: Name
    Director,Nutrition Services
    company
    address

08/05/13

Dear name,

I am donating this book to the Nutrition Services Department to use as a possible resource when considering vegan and vegetarian options for food service customers at company. As an employee of company and a vegan, I have an interest in this area and hope to see more vegan options available in the cafeteria and for patients on the floors. I appreciate the efforts you have made so far and the fact that there are at least a few options already. My mother, who is vegetarian (almost vegan),was recently a patient at company and she did experience some difficulty with lack of vegan food options available while recovering. The staff did take her requests seriously and worked to find food items for her specific situation (she was in for acute diverticulitis) which we appreciated.

I chose this particular book because it provides more economical options forquantity and healthful foods and takes different population needs intoconsideration.

I hope that your staff can use this book in some capacity. Thank you for the hard work you do inproviding quality healthful food for company visitors and patients.

Sincerely,

my name and contact info. I did not hear from the director or anyone in that department for a long time. Not even an acknowledgement that they received the book and letter. I was feeling quite discouraged and then forgot about it for a while. The other day I decided to check the online menus for the cafeterias just to see what vegan offerings there were if any and I was shocked to see a sudden HUGE increase in vegan food items and recipes! I saw items such as Caribbean rice and beans, veggie burgers, curried peas, pineapple cilantro rice, squash crisp, and hot cereals for breakfast and fresh fruit being offered daily. A few recipes from the book were on the menu also!! I am so excited! My efforts were not in vain after all! This is better to me than a thank you for the donation. I really hope people go for these menu items and keep up the demand and they continue to do this. I am not sure how to show my appreciation other than to eat there every day lol. Should I send a thank you note to the director? I am excited to share this. Hospital food really needs a huge facelift in this day and age. You'd think food choices would be a bigger consideration for the health of patients you know?

Default Re: Good news to share regarding vegan food at medical complex!

Good for you! Yeah, a note would be a nice idea. Have you read the China Study or Forks Over Knives? If so, you could even tell them about it and how nutrition is so important for recovery. There are many people recovering from cancer who adopt a vegan/ wholefood diet. Hospital food in the UK is abysmal, as is school food.

Hurrah!!!! Well done!!!!!!

Quote misosoup View Post
    Good for you! Yeah, a note would be a nice idea. Have you read the China Study or Forks Over Knives? If so, you could even tell them about it and how nutrition is so important for recovery. There are many people recovering from cancer who adopt a vegan/ wholefood diet. Hospital food in the UK is abysmal, as is school food.
    Yes, I have read both books. I have thought about the idea of donating a "Forks Over Knives" cookbook to one of the local hospitals because it too has some very simple recipes that are more economical. I think the book I donated has some information about the importance of healthful food during recovery from illness. It is amazing that hospitals are so far behind in nutrition these days. Sighs. I wanted to share this information here because I think it is important for people to push to get vegan items on the menu at restaurants and institutions and show that there is an increased demand. It also brings awareness to the vegan movement. A lot of people complain about lack of choices, but I have managed twice now to get more options at local places I frequent simply by asking. The first time was a few years ago when I asked a mainstream grocery about stocking SoDelicious coconut milk yogurt. They had other SoDelicious products there but only soy yogurts. Within a month they were on the shelves and still are. Even if you get rejected, keep trying! Change is bound to happen sooner or later if enough of us keep asking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Peabrain View Post
    Hurrah!!!! Well done!!!!!!
    Thanks! I was just looking back and rereading my letter and see a lot of words run together. I copied and pasted the letter from a Word document on my computer and had trouble with a lot of it running together and thought I had fixed it but I must have missed some. I assure you the letter was not this horrible when I sent it off to that director lol. I spell checked over and over.

Quote Robinwomb View Post
    I assure you the letter was not this horrible when I sent it off to that director lol.

Shurrup Robinwomb, you did a fabulous job, and if you disagree I'll poke yer in the eye.

Ya, for direct activism! That is going to be my inspiration
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Nice one Robin!

Would be fascinating to know waht the take-up of the vegan options amongst the staff/patients/visitors at the hospital has been like.

My guess would be that it will be quite high.
    All done in the best possible taste ...