Thread: non dairy butter

Not currently a vegan

Default non dairy butter

HI all, I am new to the forum, I hope I am posting this in the right section. I have recently bought a vegan recipes book, and I would like to start using non animal products. I am not vegan myself, but i wouldn't mind trying non animal products, or at least starting to do that. ANyway, on to my question.
    I didn't realise that the book I have bought is actually from an american author and he uses a non dairy butter product from an american brand, Earth Balance. Now, I live in the UK and I was wondering, is there any good non-dairy, not hydrogenated butter I could use as a butter replacement for cakes and desserts in general? I have been to my local store but I wouldn't really know what to get.
    any idea?
    thanks

if you are in the UK you will probably have the brands Pure or Vitalite in your local supermarket.
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: non dairy butter

Hi Jazzo, you can also bake cakes and make desserts without using butter. Have you heard of the book 'Vegan cupcakes take over the world' ? I use it all the time and love it. Instead of using eggs and dairy the recipes use vegetable oils and cider vinegar (the cider vinegar is an egg replacement). I LOVE this book and the recipes make gorgeous cupcakes of all varieties............plus they are far superior to any I baked before I was vegan.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I have read that coconut oil can be a good replacement for butter, but I have yet to try it as so. Would work great for baking, I'm sure.

For baking I mainly use oil instead of butter, but for things that need solid fat (pastry, buttercream) it is easier to use a vegan spread such as Pure or Vitalite. I haven't experimented with coconut oil but by all means try it. You should probably try refined coconut oil otherwise everything will taste like coconut!
    Houmous atá ann!

I have tried organic Earth Balance here in Florida and I do like the taste compared to butter. I like it on sweet potatoes and it keeps me from craving butter. I used it on potatoes and my boyfriend (Omni) did not even notice. Picky eater .