Thread: Why does juicing get attention over blending?

Default Why does juicing get attention over blending?

Everyone talks about juice fasts, veganism + juicing, etc. Blending seems pretty cool too though. Is a blend fast pretty similar to a juice fast? I don't want to drop money a juicer and time on cleaning it out after each use.

Default Re: Why does juicing get attention over blending?

Juicing is 'sexy' because everyone already has a blender.

When everyone didn't already have a blender then blending was the 'sexy' thing to do.

I can't see how blended froot'n'veg could possibly not be better for us than froot'n'veg jooce, myself. Blended stuff is kinda the whole-food with 'nowt taken out'?

The juice of some things is infinitable more pallatable and easy to swallow than the same thing simply blended though.

Q. How come no one used "the juice, the whole juice and nothing but the juice" as a marketing line for a juicer yet. Or did they? Does anyone know?

Anyways ...

Welcome to the forum Flickz
    All done in the best possible taste ...

We make smoothies in the cafe but we use local produce so have now run out of fruit we can use. We are thinking of making fresh juices with veg but myself and the owner are a little concerned at how much of the fruit or veg gets wasted. It seems to go against our ethical - as little waste as possible policy. Can you blend veg to make smoothie type drinks?

- - - Updated - - -

I sometimes think that people who juice are trying to get as much good stuff in one hit with as little effort as possible. Sort of like a vitamin. Where as if you enjoy the veg maybe it would be better to just eat them in a salad. Is juicing for people who don't really like eating veg?

A lot of people who juice fast do so to give their body a rest from the function of digesting and some do it as more of a weight loss programme; some people don't want the fibre from a blended drink, and if you are really into your greens you can really cram so much more into a juice than a smoothie.

Some fruits and veggies dont lend themselves well to juicing and some don't blend very well, for example, bananas don't juice, and in my opinion, apples don't blend well, so it depends on the ingredients you have and which fruits/veggies you like sometimes too, and sometimes a mixture of the 2 is what is needed, like apple, pineapple and cucumber juice blended with avocado, fabulous, so 2 machines to clean sometimes.

Wouldn't a smoothie just made from vegetables be vegetable soup (although a very good fresh soup of course)? with the pulp from carrots you can make carrot cake, from other pulp you can make crackers or burgers and meat balls by adding a bit of ground flax as a binder. Some also add it to food for their animals.
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

There is very little oxidation with juicing. Blending fruit creates advanced glycation ends products and other various oxidation products.

Mymblesdaughter,

If the produce is organic and local, you can always talk to the farmer about using the waste fibre as fertilizer. Hence promoting a near complete closed loop system.

Juicing increases absorbtion while fibre impedes absorption of nutrients. I mostly juice carrots and rarely cook with them because there is a vast difference on how they make me feel. If I have the flu for example, a couple liters of freshly squeezed carrot juice will heal me within an hour.

We already compost all our veg waste at a community veg garden around the corner.

Yes I think you're right pickled onion it would just be cold soup.

Having chatted to my boss today I think we are just going to wait until next year and do smoothies again. As our fresh produce has to be local and organic the juices are going to work to be just too expensive.