Thread: eating without a kitchen? tips/advice please

Default eating without a kitchen? tips/advice please

i'm currently living in my car (by choice; it's actually a good thing. ) i'll explain more if anyone wants me to, but what I really want to know is if anyone has any advice for eating without access to a stove or fridge? How do you keep things from going bad without refrigeration, esp in summer?

right now i've got a cordless electric kettle for hot tea, it works brilliantly, and no worries about food spoiling when it's 20-ish degrees F outside.

re: cooking, i'm used to cooking about once a week - i usually make a dish and eat that for dinner every day until it's used up, and aside from that i just snack on veggies/fruit/nuts, etc. i'd rather not rely on packaged food and/or restaurants for obvious reasons (more expensive, not as nutritious, hard to know for sure what's going on in the kitchen where your food is being prepared).

i've worked out where to get a shower, where to work out and do yoga, how to get internet access, and where to practice violin for hours a day without disturbing anyone, but the lack of cooking and refrigeration is something i haven't figured out yet. any suggestions would be appreciated!

Default Re: eating without a kitchen? tips/advice please

Quote made of sequins View Post
    ...but what I really want to know is if anyone has any advice for eating without access to a stove or fridge?
    No actual experience of having do that at all, Sequins.

I can only imagine that the answer would lie in only buying things that don't need cooking and won't have perished (without refrigeration) before you eat them.

Either that or invest in a camping style refrigerator and stove that will fit in your car somewhere.

i'm currently living in my car (by choice; it's actually a good thing. ) i'll explain more if anyone wants me to
    Curiosity will kill me if you don't!
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Oats and buckwheat groats can be soaked with water and eaten cold with some spices (cinammon for example) and maybe dried or fresh fruits. Sometimes hospital cafeterias and gas stations have microwaves you could use to heat your food too. The gas station you might have to ask for permission but the hospital cafeteria you might be able to get away with it if the microwave is in the actual dining room and you don't have to go through a line to get there.

When I canoe camp in the summer (travel by canoe and tent, no vehicle, buildings etc), I am able to keep vegetables such as carrots, snap peas, onions, brusel sprouts, cauliflower, brocoli, and a few others for an extended period without refrigeration. Most fruit keeps nicely if it is a single serve type of fruit like bananas, apples, pears, peaches, etc. as opposed to cutting open a pineapple (unless you can eat the whole thing in one day).

Red lentils just need a little boiling water for fifteen minutes or so to cook, and add some tomatoes and brocoli to them as they are cooking, maybe a leafy green, and a few spices for a nice meal. When I canoe camp, I carry a one burner tiny stove with a small propane canister attached (one canister lasts for three or four meals). If you are only cooking once a week, the canister would last a month. Granted they aren't that cheap.

Small jars of nut/seed/peanut butters might be ok. Sometimes you can find vegan friendly tortillas or pita bread that might keep a few days in summer. Just add the peanut butter, maybe some apples or a banana in it for a sandwich. I have done this with canoe camping as well for the boost of energy and staying power while on the move. I used almond butter (just almonds, no oil added) for a week on a camping trip and it kept fine without refrigeration. I think the temps were in the 70s F.

Are there any picnic facilities in parks around where you live? If you could get hold of some wood, you could have a fire in an established fire pit/grate and cook from that.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. I can't say I have ever lived in a vehicle more than overnight. You are one tough person! lol

thank you both! i did think of a small propane stove, but am afraid to do that since propane tanks are combustible. loads of good advice/ideas there that i can use, so thanks! canoe camping sounds awesome btw.

i finally got up the cojones to leave an abusive relationship, hence the car camping. i do have a job but the work is irregular (one week i'll be there 40-50 hours, then i might go another 2-3 weeks only working 5 hours or so. so i can't really depend on having enough work to rent an apartment or room on a regular basis.) i do find that car camping is making me more focused and ambitious; i've wanted to start a business for years but only since starting this adventure have i really taken steps to make it happen. looking forward to the day i can be on one of those lists i.e. "successful business owners who once lived in their cars".
    Last edited by made of sequins; Jan 19th, 2014 at 04:40 PM.

Hi; congratulations on leaving your abuser.

I've never used one myself, but it sounds like maybe you could look into getting an electric hotplate? I did a quick web search and can't work out whether anyone makes one that will operate off a car battery (though maybe that would be horribly expensive and impractical anyway - don't know much about these things), but if you're able to get access to a mains supply that could be useful? Obviously, it's still not the safest thing in the world, but I guess probably safer than carrying gas canisters around on the daily? From what I can see, you can get one new for about twenty bucks.

I remember a lot of the bigger supermarkets when I was in America (disclaimer: for three weeks, about ten years ago) had a system where you could fill a cheap polystyrene cooler with ice from a machine outside. If you're just occasionally buying packaged perishables that might be an option. If you're camping in water you can always use that to keep things cold (not the most secure, though)!
    "Eventually, I realised that the reason I was so angry was because I want people in the world to be well." - Ian MacKaye

Yes, I second the congratulations on leaving an abusive relationship! That takes a tremendous amount of courage! Hats off to you! Isn't there some kind of safe haven or shelter for abused women in your area that you can stay at? Or at least get on a waiting list or get a referal somewhere? There are programs like that where I live. It just doesn't seem fair that you are literally left out in the cold for something that is totally not your fault. Also, it might be hard to get another job without a permanent address, unless you can leave your current work number on resumes and applications. Years ago I was in a halfway house and trying to apply for jobs. Employers would call the house and some pretty mentally unstable people would answer the phone. What a nightmare that was! Eventually I got out on my own two feet though. I hope everything works out for you!

Hi MOS, I hope that you are doing well. Congratulations on leaving an abuser, I know that that takes alot of strength and courage. As Robin said it is unfortunate that you have to live rough while your abuser gets to live comfortably. It is worth looking into support services in your area for victims of domestic violence, they might be able to help you with accommodation.

As for cooking with only a kettle, couscous is a good option as are those ready pot meals that you add water to. Also some sort of insulated cooling bag if you can get one, to keep any perishables as fresh as possible.

Good luck and stay strong!
    Houmous atá ann!

thank you both! i did think of a small propane stove, but am afraid to do that since propane tanks are combustible.
    For someone living above a tank of petrol ...

Is that not slightly akin to a mountaineer who won't wear thick soled boots because he/she is afraid of heights?

:P

... i've wanted to start a business for years but only since starting this adventure have i really taken steps to make it happen.
    Wotcha got in mind there, MoS?
    All done in the best possible taste ...

i'm currently living in my car (by choice; it's actually a good thing. ) i'll explain more if anyone wants me to,
    I would suggest fruit and nuts/seeds - they don't need cooking or refrigeration. How come you're living in your car? I'm impressed you've worked out where to get shower, work out, internet access and practice your violin..... is it nice to get away from society and live a free life? I am interested if i' m not being nosey.

Where are you living? What's the whether like there? You could keep a cooler of fruit/vegetables right outside your car, or if its cold enough inside, then in your car. Also be careful about having any type of stove, heater, etc in your car, it can produce something poisonous (carbon monoxide maybe? I forgot the details), so even if it's really cold, always have the windows open a little when running a heater (built in car heater or external/portable heater), stove, or anything else inside the car.

Not currently a vegan

Have you looked at foraging for some of your food? I have started to do it and it's working out ok so far. It's suprising how much stuff there is growing wild.

Also dried food like lentils, beans, oats and other grains. I have no idea how to refridgerate stuff. You may not be able to do it effectively without hassel or outlay in some sort of travel fridge or something. It's good that your eating nuts and seeds, those things are gold. Im eating some almonds and sunflower seeds right now Good luck on the small details I hope it works out for you.

Maybe you could make something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot-in-pot_refrigerator depending on the climate where you are?

Well done for getting out, and good luck with the business plan.