View Poll Results: Is euthanasia ok for very sick pets?

Voters
264. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, Never. It's wrong to kill (I don't have a very sick pet or a pet at all)

3 1.14%
  • No, Never. It's wrong to kill. I've had a pet in this situation and I just kept them as comfortable as possible until the very end.

10 3.79%
  • Yes, But only as a very last resort. If the animal is in a lot of pain or is simply existing rather then living and all medical interventions have been tried and failed.

237 89.77%
  • As soon as the animal falls ill/gets old. It's wrong to let an animal 'suffer'.

5 1.89%
  • Other.

9 3.41%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Should euthanasia ever be considered for ailing pets?

greenleaf

Default Re: Should euthanasia ever be considered for ailing pets?

It is immoral to allow suffering when the condition is incurable.

I do think euthanasia should be considered with pets. It is a last resort however.

I remember the family dog 4 years ago and we noticed how pale his tounge had gotton (pale pink and nearly white in areas ) so quickly rushed him to the vet. They did loads of tests on him and found not only did he have internal bleeding but had masses of tumors in different places including the lungs. We were given two options 1) operate which would have costs a lot of money for a survival chances of about 5% while he would still be in pain until he died or 2) put him down while they had him under anethetic still (had to be put under so they could get scans etc) so less traumatic for him. We choose to not put him through the operation as it would still be painful for him so had to put him down. When I look at photos that I took 3-4 days before this happened I can see that there was no life in his eyes and he was obviously ready to go. It still pains me what we did but I know we did the right thing for him.

I have also watched one of my pet rats die not long after phoning the vet to say we would be needing to euthanise her (she had been having health problems for a long time that my partner gave her medication for - I didn't give it to her as I am against medical medication and also allergic to the medication she had to have). I had a feeling she wouldn't make it to the vets but seeing her fit to death is something that is going to be imprinted in my mind for the rest of my life. It's still difficult seeing her sister and the other two rats we have knowing she isn't around anymore and how she went out in the world . One other rat we had also died naturally but she died while we were sleeping so have no idea how she died but I believe she also fit to death . Only one rat so far has had to be put down and although I'm sure we did the right thing it still 'bugs' me for some reason.

I don't think it's something that should just be done if it's possible to help the animal live in other ways (one of my rats who is still alive had her eye removed due to a seriously bad infection that cost £74. Alot of people would have heard that and said 'no, put them to sleep' or simular even though the outlook was very good for the op. She is a very happy rat even though she only has one eye!). However helping an animal to prolong their life in pain is not right in anyway and I see it as torture.
    "I wouldn't eat a chicken if it dropped dead infront of me holding a up a sign that said eat me." - Ricky Williams

I said its fine as a last resort. We've had pets put to sleep before when they got to the point that they were simply existing and in pain. I don't think it's fair to let them suffer like that.

I'm for euthanasia, whether it's for animals or humans, as a last resort. I don't think it's fair to make a living organism suffer just so you can say that you're against all killing. It's very selfish. There's nothing worse than existing rather than living. Euthanasia is a sompassionate choice.
    xXx

EcoTribalVegan

According to the principles of Negative Utilitarianism, I support euthanasia as a last resort. As difficult as it would be to make the decision to end a life, provided I have done everything possible to ensure the pain-free existence of the creature's life, I would think it would result in the least amount of suffering.

Unhappy Re: Should euthanasia ever be considered for ailing pets?

Quote EcoTribalVegan View Post
    According to the principles of Negative Utilitarianism, I support euthanasia as a last resort. As difficult as it would be to make the decision to end a life, provided I have done everything possible to ensure the pain-free existence of the creature's life, I would think it would result in the least amount of suffering.

I agree with this, and this is what I put on the poll. I sometimes think that humans would benefit from this as well...when they are just simply "existing" instead of living...but the person would have to have the final say.

I wish animals could have the final say....
    Ninja hug! You never saw it coming!

Rocket Queen

It's very very necessary that this option exists. When our animal companians suffer, we need it. When they are of a species that are condemned to live longer than they are physically capable of quality of life.
    I don't like doing it or being the influence that 'kills' an animal of my care, it's awful. But it is a relief to know I can end suffering.
    The problem with it, lies in how liberal humans are about ending life for animals.
    I agree with Marusya.
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

A few years ago my husband and I had to take our cat to the vet because he was very sick. We actually came to own him in a weird way. My grandmother's boss was having a house built and in the mean time he moved his two cats into their office. My grandmother would go into the office on the weekends to feed them, and she took care of them during the week. Well, after almost two years she asked her boss if she could just have the cats feeling it was wrong to leave them there for so long without a real home. They had already been declawed front & back, and neutered/spayed at this point so they could not return to the wild. When I moved out of my grandmothers house I took the cats with me. Buster (the male) had become our best friend!! He was the best cat and companion ever. He was 18 years old when his kidneys starting failing. After weeks of treatment, and thousands of dollars in vet bills we felt we had no other choice then to end his misery. He could no longer walk, use his litter box, or eat anything. It was the saddest and most heartbreaking experience I have ever had. And, I stayed with him till the end, holding his head in my hand while he passed. We have his ashes and will treasure him always.

I don't like the idea of people taking their pets to the vet and having them put down just because they don't want them anymore! But, sometimes euthanasia is needed.

We had to have our precious Mr. CJ cat put down last year. We took him to the vet because he started sounding raspy, and an ultrasound found that he had massed and fluid througout his abdomen and lungs. The vet said that we could leave him there to be kept on pain medicine and have his lungs suctioned every hour if we wanted to send pathology out of state. The fact remained that he was full of tumors and I can't imagine that he would have wanted to live his last few weeks in a strange place hooked up to machinery.

It was awful and sad... one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. However, we have always said that none of our companions will be left to suffer simply because we want to hold on to them for our own selfish reasons.
    Erin

Vegetarian for 8 years, vegan for 2!

My mother used to have a cat named lucky...so named because my mother spotted her in the middle of a busy street and had to crawl under another person's car in order to get her. She still had her eyes closed, her mom had apparently panicked and dropped her in the street.

we had that cat until I was an adult, and as she got older she developed allergies to everything...pollen, fleas, flea powder and collars, she even had a strange allergy to my mother's carpet. Even though she spent the first half of her life as an indoor/outdoor cat, she was forced to stay indoors after that, and she used to sit on the window basking in the sun, and kitty-chirping at the birds and squirrels.

Finally, she got so sick that her fur began falling out in clumps, she could barely stand, and made a mess on herself whenever she tried to use her box. We were told by many people, including the vet, that the "humane" thing to do was to have her euthanized.

Thankfully my mother wouldn't do that. Instead, mom let Lucky outside, where she found a sunny patch of grass to lie in. She stretched out and purred lightly, soaked up some sunshine, and died in that spot very shortly after.

Getting old is NO reason to have an animal put to sleep. I mean, what's humane about that? Taking them to a vets office full of strange animals and scents, locked in a box or cage, and injected with chemicals while someone's holding them down. No one would ever suggest doing this to a sick child or elderly grandparent, and I think doing it to an animal is no different.

I'm not completely against euthanasia...if an animal has been injured so badly that there is no hope of fixing it and it's screaming in pain, then do it. But aging, and dying, is part of life. I've had many, many companion animals, and I've seen quite a few die...but I can't recall any that seemed liked, even as they were dying, they wanted to be put to sleep. Even my ragged old dogs, who barely had energy to stand sometimes, would still wag their tails when you'd lay next to them. I can't imagine putting a dog or cat in that shape into the back of a car, taking him/her to a vet, allow him to live out his last few minutes of life scared or confused.

When it's time to die, they'll die. It's no anyone's place to decide that any animal, human or not, has lived long enough.

but what if the animal or person is obviously suffering?
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

With respect, Panic, I feel that is a bit of a misrepresentation of what it's like to have an animal put down. Unless you never take your animals to the vet for checkups and for treatment when they're ill, they are to some extent used to going to the vet, and that last visit needn't be any more scary or confusing than any other. Also, vets (in this country at least) will sometimes come to the home to put an animal down, for a consideration.

I think you're lucky that none of your animals has ever reached the point where it showed you that it wasn't enjoying life any more, but it still didn't die naturally. We haven't all been that lucky - and I know from one of my own cats that it doesn't only happen because of injury, it can also be a consequence of illness. (Of course, veterinary treatment to alleviate pain may stop animals from dying at the point they would in the wild.)

I agree, my Lou boy was soooo used to going to the Vet toward the end of his life he wagged his tail a little when he saw his doctor when we were going to put him down, that was the first time he wagged his tail in weeks...

putting animals down is an incredible hard experience, the hardest choice i've ever had to make and the hardest thing i've ever gone through, its not something i took lightly, and for people to tell me that its wrong when the animal is obviously sufferring upsets me.

Quote harpy View Post
    With respect, Panic, I feel that is a bit of a misrepresentation of what it's like to have an animal put down. Unless you never take your animals to the vet for checkups and for treatment when they're ill, they are to some extent used to going to the vet, and that last visit needn't be any more scary or confusing than any other. Also, vets (in this country at least) will sometimes come to the home to put an animal down, for a consideration.

I think you're lucky that none of your animals has ever reached the point where it showed you that it wasn't enjoying life any more, but it still didn't die naturally. We haven't all been that lucky - and I know from one of my own cats that it doesn't only happen because of injury, it can also be a consequence of illness. (Of course, veterinary treatment to alleviate pain may stop animals from dying at the point they would in the wild.)
    I do indeed take my animals to the vet, but honestly, unless you're dealing with a very sick animal, how often do they really go? Once, maybe twice a year? not trying to downplay your point, and maybe it's different here in the states, but other than a yearly check-up and vaccinations, I didn't spend a lot of time inside a vet's office.

Again, this is just my opinion. But I wouldn't put down any of my animals unless it was really, really suffering, because I've seen how those last few minutes of life can really bring them a lot of joy.

cobweb

i'm in this horrible dilema right now.........Tam (German Shepherd x) is 16, has an incurable brain tumour, and therefore has regular seizures, some of which are very intense and long-lasting. She also has what i strongly suspect to be a cancerous tumour on her front leg now. She's on prescribed meds for Arthritis and Epilepsy.

She seems bright and happy most of the time, but has a lot of trouble getting up and down from her bed due to Arthritis, and often needs help. She's also pretty incontinent, the only way we can avoid that is to keep taking her into the garden every time she gets up.

She loves travelling in the car, but has trouble getting back out of the car now, even with a ramp .

She eats, but usually has to be helped with this, as she eats lying down now.

For the last 3 days she's had the most horrible, horrible diarrhea i have ever seen . We're feeding her tiny amounts of dry food but it's not stopping. I know i should probably take her to the vets, but she really hates going there and gets very snappy and stressed, plus it involves another car trip.

I'm feeling that she's probably reached the point where we need to have her euthanased - but she still has that light of life in her eyes, she's still aware of us and what's going on around her, she still responds to attention and love .

What can we do?. I've always felt i 'knew' in the past, when it's time, when an animal stops connecting with his or her surroundings, but she just looks so bright............

Oh Cobweb ((((((((HUGS))))))))))) to you for what must be a very difficult situation.

Could you have a vet come out and look at her - would that be an option?

It's a situation I've never been in, so I don't really have any advice to give. I've found a combination of enzymes (one brand is called Florentero), plus Hills "Intestinal" dry and moist food to be good for diarrhea (animal-tested I know so that's a road you may not wish to go down, plus VERY expensive)

Big hugs to your family and Tam xx

Quote panic View Post
    I do indeed take my animals to the vet, but honestly, unless you're dealing with a very sick animal, how often do they really go?
    Sometimes several times a month, in the case of the one that had to be put down. The point is they do sometimes get very sick - that's why the question of putting them down arises.

I did have another cat that died naturally at home as well, but I think it's better to judge each case on its realities rather than any preconceived ideas about what should happen.
    Last edited by harpy; Feb 10th, 2010 at 11:33 AM.

Quote cobweb View Post
    What can we do?. I've always felt i 'knew' in the past, when it's time, when an animal stops connecting with his or her surroundings, but she just looks so bright............

So sorry to hear that cobweb. I don't know much about dogs, but perhaps she is still getting something out of life at the moment but is reaching the point where she will "tell" you she's had enough?

However TBH I don't think it would be very wrong to have her put down before you get to that point if you feel she's going downhill. With Tom it got to the point where he was just getting one thing after another wrong with him and so if he had got better from that last thing (kidney failure) he would just have started to feel ill with something else. So it seemed wrong to wrestle him back from the brink as it were just for that. It did mean we had a bad hour or so waiting for the vet to arrive - if we'd done it the week before he and we wouldn't have had to go through that bit.

It's difficult when you don't know what's causing the diarrhoea, maybe you do need the vet for that if it doesn't go off. As Fiamma says perhaps you could talk the vet into coming to your place for a look at her in the circs?
    Last edited by harpy; Feb 10th, 2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: accidental sex change :(

cobweb

^ thanks you two

i've just been into the vets, they want us to take Tam in at 2.20pm, and she may have to stay overnight on a fluid drip.
    She's had 4 bad bouts since 3a.m so far today, and didn't seem even to be aware of it herself.

To be honest i feel it's time to humanely end her suffering now but my husband is resistant to the idea. Will get advice from the vet later.

Obviously i do understand my husband's reluctance to part with Tam but i feel we may be acting selfishly by keeping her going now. Afterall, she can't go for walks (she has a massive growth on one elbow which is too big to remove, and it gets sore if she does any more than potter round the garden), can't go to the beach, can't really manage the car, can't stand up to eat, and has to be lifted up off her bed .

I just tried talking with my husband about this but he says if i ask him about it again he'll put a gun in his mouth and pull the trigger . He's having a tough time with his own health right now so we don't have much to smile about . I guess it'll be me who has to carry the can for this..........as usual.

I think I'd feel the same as you in the circs, but if you and Tam are going to the vets anyway you can get a professional opinion, as you say.

FWIW a drip could have been tried for Tom too, but he didn't like being left at the vets, plus as I say even if he'd got better from that it would have been something else the next week, so we decided not to do that.

Do you think your husband is really opposed to the idea, or is it more that he wants you to make the decision without consulting him - or both?

Supportive vibes coming your way from here.

Quote panic View Post
    No one would ever suggest doing this to a sick child or elderly grandparent, and I think doing it to an animal is no different.
    Actually, if I could have legally helped my Grandmother die, I would have. For a long time she was in agonising pain and wanted to go... but our laws prohibit this.

At the moment this is a very emotive subject for me as one of the cats I live with has terminal cancer. When she gets to the point she is in a lot of pain, I'll take her to be put to sleep, just as I did 18 months ago with my last cat. Hobbit had cancer too, and was falling over constantly and having trouble breathing. She was obviously in a lot of pain, and when we took her in to be euthanasia she calmly sat on the table as I stroked her and the vet gave her the injection. She passed very quickly, and I spent a few moments with her body as they performed a few checks to make sure she was dead. It was one of the most emotionally shattering experiences of my life, and there is no way I go through it without my conviction that it really was the only kindness I could do her.
    Last edited by Ms_Derious; Feb 10th, 2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typo
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

i've got to say, I find it odd how many people are here trying to convince me that what I believe is wrong. It is my opinion. I've known too many people who are too quick to put an animal to sleep when it becomes inconvenient to care for it, or because it's become elderly and less active....NOT saying that's what people here are doing, but you do realize it happens.

Plus, there are always stories like this one http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...bhTkgD9DP838O0 that make me even more determined to never euthanize an animal. The dog may have been in "considerable pain," but it was something that could have been VERY easily fixed. as I said before, no one would ever suggest putting a child to sleep because of a broken leg.

I don't think anyone's trying to convince you of anything, Panic. I simply pointed out that your account of the process was misleading, which is not really surprising if it's not something you've experienced.

I do disagree with you that the only situation in which it's advisable is if the animal is injured - sometimes in the case of severe, incurable illness it is also the kindest thing to do - in my opinion, but you're entitled to yours.

I suspect we are probably all in agreement that you shouldn't put an animal down just because it's old or unwell. We are vegans, after all.

RubyDuby

Cobweb- I am so sorry.

I'm sure you will make the right decision when you know what to do.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

cobweb

@ Panic - no, but children and dogs are different. I'm not saying that humans are somehow 'more important', but they speak the same language and have different instincts and habits which make them different in terms of care.

I have definitely felt that euthanasia was the best choice for several animals in my care in the past - the last one was a cat who'd been run over and had serious internal damage and was unable to walk. The choice for him was, lay in his own faeces in a cage for the rest of his life, or be euthanased . I would possibly feel that this (euthanasia) might be the kindest end for a child suffering comparable injuries but the choice would not be available as it was with the cat.

cobweb

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    Cobweb- I am so sorry.

I'm sure you will make the right decision when you know what to do.

Thanks hun. She's back home from seeing the vet now, she's got kaolin and antibiotics and we have to take her back in on Friday if it's no better by then.
    The vet took some fluid from the large growth on her front leg and will be testing it to try and find out what exactly it is.
    So we're still playing it by ear at the moment - i have to say for such an elderly person she looks remarkably bright! :smile:.

That's excellent, cw (relatively speaking!).

Kaolin helped when Tom had the runs. In his case he seemed to have them because he had developed a sensitivity to something in his food, possibly a cereal, so when we fed him on, er, cereal-free food (rice was OK) that helped with the digestive problem.

cobweb

yes, it is good, isn't it, i'm so relieved!. We are thinking we might try her on some 'special' food for sensitive tummies - she's had intermittent diarrhea before but this is really bad, hope it stops soon!.

Fingers crossed. I ended up cooking food for Tom myself - not that pleasant but at least you know what's in it.

cobby, Tam reminds me sooo much of my Lou boy! I hope that she starts feeling better, its so hard!

But if it ever gets to that point you will know it in your heart...and it will be hard but...you will know. well at least i definately did...

Quote harpy View Post
    I don't think anyone's trying to convince you of anything, Panic. I simply pointed out that your account of the process was misleading, which is not really surprising if it's not something you've experienced.

I do disagree with you that the only situation in which it's advisable is if the animal is injured - sometimes in the case of severe, incurable illness it is also the kindest thing to do - in my opinion, but you're entitled to yours.

I suspect we are probably all in agreement that you shouldn't put an animal down just because it's old or unwell. We are vegans, after all.
    I suppose as long as the "owner" means well, that's all that really matters. It is crazy though, as I've read through this thread, how many of you have animals that have developed such horrible illnesses. This is in no way suggesting that anyone is at fault for that, but I'm left wondering if there's a reason for it....something that's added to pet food? Chemicals in the house? Aside from one rabbit I had that died from what I believe to be pasteurella, and one dog that possibly died of cancer, I've not had any animals that have suffered from a long, drawn-out death. And even those two deaths were relatively quick. hoshi passed in less than an hour, and Goldie had been running around in the yard just a few hours before she died.

I would like to apologize also if anything I've said that may have come across as insulting. I'm in no way suggesting that anyone who chooses to euthanize somehow cares less than I do. I personally cannot see myself doing it, but who knows.....I might find myself in a position to make that decision one day. Let's hope not.

And CobWeb, good luck with Tam. Know that I'm sending a tidal wave of good vibes in your direction. <333

cobweb

thanks missbettie and panic x
    missb i bet you still miss your Lou boy loads, i hope i will know when it's time, same as you did x

i do, it makes my heart heavy to think about him, but he is such an awesome dog that its hard not to think about him and smile, i wish he was still here with me, but i am still extremely grateful i was able to meet such an awesome soul.

I don't think its something you will ever get over cobby, but the pain you go through watching ur Tam is 20 times worse than knowing that they are no longer in pain but sadly gone.

This might sound awful, but it helped me get through all the death's i've gone through...Death and the end for the most part is more difficult on the living, we just need to remember to be selfless, i believe a lot of the times we try so hard to keep those we love around because we love them, and they try to stay alive and fight so hard for that reason, because they know we need them. we need to do whats best. what we believe is best anyway. and I definately know you will do that cobby.

Tam is so lucky to have you. could you imagine if she had some other owner? what would have happened then?

Quote panic View Post
    but I'm left wondering if there's a reason for it....
    I suspect it's probably the same as humans - some are lucky and die of old age or something quick, some are less lucky.

I read somewhere that cats live twice as long as they did a few years ago, supposedly because of better diets and vet care, and again, as with humans, the older you get, the more likely you are to have different things wrong with you as organs wear out etc.

The fact that vegans tend to get their companion animals from rescue organisations also means that we end up with some that have been neglected or mistreated in early life, and those experiences can affect your health in later life, unfortunately.

cobweb

missbettie what beautiful things you say x

EcoTribalVegan

An interesting discussion occurred in my Bioethics class. Many animals, when they think/know/want death to come, they often show very distinct body language. They will often hide (cats and dogs seem to prefer to die alone) or stop eating. Those are the main indicators. Maybe that could make such a tough ethical decision slightly easier.

Quote EcoTribalVegan View Post
    They will often hide (cats and dogs seem to prefer to die alone) or stop eating.
    Yes, my previous generation of cats both stopped eating (though they didn't hide) the day they died (in one case) or were put down (in the other). Unfortunately the picture is a bit more complicated though because elderly animals sometimes have the odd day when they don't feel like eating but then spontaneously recover their appetite afterwards - plus medications such as steroids may stimulate their appetites artificially. Sigh.

Zombie

I see it as an OK thing to do if there is absolutely no options left. Like my old dog Chuck we had to put him down because his hips gave out and broke and he lost all motor funtions in one night...so instead of leaving him to rot in his own feces we took him to the vet and i held him as they gave him his shot and his tail wagged until his heart stopped..so yes its ok. It ends suffering.

And on the human side of it. If i ever come down with cancer or anything else that is life threatening and i am living in constant pain and agony. they had best give me the option to go out painlessly or ill do it myself.
    "See no, hear no, speak no evil. Leaves you deaf, dumb and blind."

I agree with panic.

If the pet has been injured to the point where they are in constant extreme pain, or something of that nature. Then it may be best to not let the animal suffer.

But if the pet is just going through the natural aging process, they should have the right to die with dignity just like a human does.

cobweb

Quote vintagenarcissa View Post
    But if the pet is just going through the natural aging process, they should have the right to die with dignity just like a human does
    you've obviously never worked in a nursing home if you think that most old people 'die with dignity'.

^ agreed. do people really die from old age? they die from complications of getting older. Is organ failure really considered old age? if so then old age must be extremely painful...

Quote cobweb View Post
    you've obviously never worked in a nursing home if you think that most old people 'die with dignity'.
    But does that mean that the living and able should just "put them down?"

Every living thing has the right to die in a natural way. If whatever complications cause their organs to shut down, then that is the natural progression of their ailment and therefore a natural death.

leedsveg

Let those that want a natural death have a natural death. When my quality of life has gone and I'm living(!) in pain, spare me a long, slow, painful 'natural death', please.

lv

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Let those that want a natural death have a natural death. When my quality of life has gone and I'm living(!) in pain, spare me a long, slow, painful 'natural death', please.
    Hear hear! A natural death would probably do me fine as long as it's quick, but if it takes weeks or months, and is painful, no thanks. I've seen it done and it's not for me.

EcoTribalVegan

Quote harpy View Post
    Yes, my previous generation of cats both stopped eating (though they didn't hide) the day they died (in one case) or were put down (in the other). Unfortunately the picture is a bit more complicated though because elderly animals sometimes have the odd day when they don't feel like eating but then spontaneously recover their appetite afterwards - plus medications such as steroids may stimulate their appetites artificially. Sigh.
    I'm not saying like one meal or one day. But PROLONGED refusal to eat. If that were the case there are "off" days when my otherwise very hungry dog would have had a short life...

There's no "right" or "wrong," but I would like to say I work within a certain definition of euthanasia that people like PETA do not. Euthanasia does not mean killing healthy animals. That is just killing. I don't think animals should just be killed when they get old, but at the same time, you can't save every animal. I euthanized a kitten before I was vegan... it was rotting alive... I didn't have a car or license and I was the only one home... so I wasn't going to take it to the vet, nor did I want it to suffer a moment longer to take it there. Nor did I have money to pay for the vet. Ultimately, to some extent, it comes down to the human caretaker's own existential decisions... I dislike the Honest Meat farmers who slaughter animals while they are most healthy and claim this is to make sure they live without ever suffering, but I think they're sincere and the animals do, after all, live pretty good lives apart from being cut short, so I will keep my complaints about that to a minimum.

I think of that song from Rent: "How do you measure a year in the life of a woman or a man?"
    How do you measure a year in the life of a pig or a cow? I think it is unfortunate for animals to lose each other in many cases, and killing animals for meat I think may always preclude giving them the best death possible, since the method of killing is dependent on the meat as much as it is upon the living being. But otherwise, how do you measure it?
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

I chose other because I believe that as our pets' caregivers, it is our duty to recognize in our animals when euthanasia is a valid, compassionate choice. My darling dog Lucy become critically ill one year ago; I had to make the decision whether or not to allow the vet to perform several stressful, painful tests on a dying animal that I loved more than anthing in this world. I looked at her: suffering, in pain, unable to eat or drink or stand up, crying in pain and I knew the best thing I could do for my girl was to ease her suffering and let her go. I've seen neighbors taking dogs out to pee that look like skeletons, falling down with dull, lifeless eyes and I really believe that sometimes it is just too hard for the human to let go. I was able to do what I needed to only because I cherished her so much. Not prolonging Lucy's pain and distress was my last gift to her; but by easing her pain I increased my own suffering and grief by a trillion-fold. Of course I grappled with guilt for a long time (and sometimes still do)....but would I make that same decision in that same situation? Even knowing that after she was gone I would wish for death a thousand times? Yes.

Yes, because if an animal is not only very sick, but their quality of life has been destroyed, why should they suffer. Too bad that humans, who are very sick and are going to die, cannot be euthanized.
    All about the animals, Lucia

I had a cat, Sylvester, that first had a spot found on his lung. He was in for getting a teeth cleaning, and the vet does tests before putting older animals under anesthesia. Instead we found out that he had a spot on his lung. We asked my vet is he going to do something about the spot on his lung. He said, no, just take him home. He said you will know what to do. Well, about a year later, he started sleeping down in the basement instead of sleeping with me and my husband and our 2 other cats. We decided to see what would happen. 2 days later, I went to feed the cats, and Sylvester was going all over the place, falling down, trying to stand and sliding all over the floor. I called my husband, who was upstairs, and we knew right then and there what we had to do. My vet, who makes house calles, for an extra fee of course, came to our house prepared to euthanize him, upon our decision. He came with a nurse, too. We placed Sylvester on our bed and our vet examined him there. He said that the cancer that started in his lung mastecited (wrong spelling I am sure, means exploded), and parts of the cancer ended up in his brain, and that is why he was unable to stand or walk. He lost all of his sense of balance. The vet said he had only 3 months the most to live. We decided immediately to euthanize him because his quality of life was gone and we did not want him to suffer, not even for 3 months. So we had him euthanized right on our bed, which he loved so much. We went into the bathroom. We did not want to see him die. My husband and I cried and cried and cried while the vet euthanized. him. He was 18 years old when he died.
    All about the animals, Lucia

^ what a sad story VeganLu, i cried reading it. That is exactly why i believe there is no contest. There was a point in my life where i had an illness that had it made a turn for the worse, my family knew what my decision was. I just hope that they would've carried it out. I'd also like to think that any animals i care for will let me know when they're ready. I've had "that look" once before.