Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does taking non-vegan medicine make me a hypocrite?

Default Does taking non-vegan medicine make me a hypocrite?

I consider myself vegan and I'm totally against animal experiments but I do take a variety of drugs that I need for my well being. They may or may not be tested on animals as I've taken thyroine tablets since I was about 8 months old. I also have taken anti epeleptic drugs since I was 13 so they are also been on the market for a long time although they may once have been tested on animals before they were tested on people which is something that happens to all drugs of course. I also take pain killers when I need them. When my pets are sick they are also given drugs that may have been tested on animals too.

My justification for taking medicine is that I need them and I really can't help the fact that they may have been tested on animals. I'm sure it did nothing but waste money and not taking these drugs won't bring the animals back.

When arguing with someone in favor of animal research I was called a hypocrite for taking medicine. This has bothered me since as there is no way I can not take medicine without my health suffering as a result.

What do other vegans think of this? Can you get strong pain killers that are NOT tested on animals?

No, you are not a hypocrite. It is not your fault that people can't figure out for themselves that animal research is unnecessary, cruel, and unethical. Being a hypocrite would be knowing that there is an alternative available that wasn't tested on animals and buying the animal-tested one just because it was cheaper.

PinkFluffyCloud

I don't beleive you are a hypocrite, and I think it's pretty nasty of people to say you are.
    In any case, I'm afraid that almost everything, and/or it's ingredients, including water and most 'alternative remedies' have been animal-tested at some point in time, so are you any more hypocritical than the rest of us???
    Personally I avoid all drugs, but mainly because I hate their possible side-effects, and do not trust animal research, but obviously if you are ill you have to be sensible for the sake of your health.

I doubt there are any prescription medications that are not tested on animals. I don't think you're a hypocrite, I believe the concept of veganism is about doing the least harm which you are. My husband takes medicine that keeps him alive, not only was is most likely tested on animals, one is only available in a gelatin capsule. I don't consider him a hypocrite either, he made an effort to see if he could take alternative medications but could not.

You do more for animals remaining alive and able to function.

Vegans avoid animal products as far as is practical. There is an alternative to cruelty-derived food and clothing, but not medicine. If you are sick then you must take medicine.

Its like the others have said you are doing all you practically can to keep away from animal related products but also we want to see you alive and well and healthy we need more vegans in the world.

Like PFC said its wicked of people to get on soap box and say you say "you are wrong" just do what you can and stay healthy.

Please dont beat yourself up web sites like this are here to support people not give them hell.

All the best

Snaff
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

spo

I agree with everyone here. None of us are hypocrites for taking medicine for serious health conditions.
    I am an Asthmatic and am Hypothyroid, and I take the drugs necessary to keep me from suffocating or having no Thyroid function. I should mention that I am a Nurse, married to a Physician, and we both were able to successfully avoid any animal experimentation during our educations by taking a strident stance against it. In addition, we both vocally, and otherwise, try to educate everyone on the absolute lack of necessity for the use of animal models in human drug/treatment regimens.
    I've noticed that meat-eaters and those indifferent, or worse, to animal suffering often engage in totally specious arguments when trying to belittle the animal-rights issue. But, we must not let that stop our protests, or get us down and depressed.
    I think if we, as Vegans, continue to live our ethics and speak up for animals when we can, then we are NOT hypocritical -- quite the contrary!

Love

Exclamation Dr Hadwen Trust Says......

Please DON'T regard yourself as a hypocrite!
    I have heard an inspiring speaker from the Dr Hadwen Trust(they fund raise to fund research into alternative methods for medical research other than animal testing)speak many times at many vegan festivals about how he has to take medication that is inevitably tested on animals and how,if he did'nt,he would be compromising his health and making himself less healthy and therefore less strong to fight the fight againat animal testing.Hope this reassures you!
    With love from Love.XXX.

Thanks very much for your replies. Made me feel a lot better.

The sick/disabled get used a lot when people raise money for experiment funding charities. As a group we would benifit most if animal experiments were to stop.

I would pay a lot if I could get medicine that had been tested by alternative means.

Default Feel guilty for using medicine

Do you not use medicines so that you don't support the drug companies because they test on animals?

I am on antidepressants, and I tried to go off them for awhile, because I no longer wanted to be supporting the drug companies and I wanted to be truly vegan in that aspect. I tried to deal with things homeopathically, with yoga and eating healthier. But I was doing terrible, and I had to go back on the medicine because everyday I thought about suicide all day long and would cry a few times a day and it was terrible. So I'm back on the medicines now, but I feel like a failure for not being able to stay off them. But it kind of balances out, because when I'm mentally stable I have energy and I can be active in animal rights, but when I'm down I have no motivation for activism. So it seems like it's also important for the animals that I do stay on the meds.

Does this make me not really vegan? Do you use medicines, or have any of you been in a situation like this?

Default Re: Feel guilty for using medicine

Oh dear, that sounds incredibly tough to go through! I don't care what anybody else says, but letting yourself remain suicidal by not taking the medicine cannot be a good thing. You have a right to be healthy and if that is impossible without taking this one medicine then do it. Hopefully there will be a better solution soon, or maybe one day even a new drug company that doesn't test on animals, but until then do not beat yourself up for staying alive. Please. You deserve better.

Quote thecatspajamas1
    Does this make me not really vegan? Do you use medicines, or have any of you been in a situation like this?
    Some people would call you unvegan, others would not. Everyone has a line to which they are willing to go to, some are more extreme than others, but i've yet to meet a vegan who has completely removed the use of all animal products from their life or completely stopped killing all animals/insects. I dread to think how many ants I've stepped on in the last week. I guess I could check before I take every step, but I guess that's my level of selfishness, the point at which I just have to get on with my life. Personally my level when it comes to drugs is that I abstain from recreational drugs and drugs for minor illnesses (such as headaches which will go away with time) that may involve animals in the production of (whether testing or ingrediants). For prescription drugs that I am told I have to take my medical professionals I always ask if a vegan alternative is available. I have sucessfully found ones in the past having been told that none are available (what they actually meant is none on the national health service). I've also been in hospital before needing stitches in my chin and gone with anasthetic of unknown origin - I needed the stitches and I'm just not hardcore enough to go without pain releif. Currently I'm happy to be on no medication and haven't been on any long term prescription medicines for years. This is something I'm mindful of and thankful for (I realised it's best to appreciate things whilst I still have them). If i found myself in a situation like yours however then it would be a choice I'd have to make. As far as being affraid of people judging you any less vegan or not, then I guess the question is why are you someone that is classified as a vegan? If you're just in it for the classification then there's something very wrong going on. What matters is your choice.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Default Re: Does taking medicine make me a hypocrite?

I'm bipolar, and on four different medications: Remeron (anti-depressant), lithium (anti-manic), Abilify (anti-psychotic), and Levoxyl (for hypothyroidism caused by lithium). It's been proven over the course of many years that I literally cannot live without these medicines, and therefore I don't feel guilty about taking them.
    "There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in hell." (Pratchett)

Quote thecatspajamas1
    Do you not use medicines so that you don't support the drug companies because they test on animals?

I am on antidepressants, and I tried to go off them for awhile, because I no longer wanted to be supporting the drug companies and I wanted to be truly vegan in that aspect. I tried to deal with things homeopathically, with yoga and eating healthier. But I was doing terrible, and I had to go back on the medicine because everyday I thought about suicide all day long and would cry a few times a day and it was terrible. So I'm back on the medicines now, but I feel like a failure for not being able to stay off them. But it kind of balances out, because when I'm mentally stable I have energy and I can be active in animal rights, but when I'm down I have no motivation for activism. So it seems like it's also important for the animals that I do stay on the meds.

The fact that you have tried to come off them suggests that you feel bad about taking them and you shouldn't feel bad. If people had not tested on animals for so long and put their efforts into finding drugs that do not require animal testing, then you would not face this dilemma, that's not your fault.

Cats PJs: veganism is a philosophy and lifestyle of compassion and reverence for life. It does not require vegans to be heroes or martyrs and sacrifice our mental or physical health for our beliefs. Do read Jo Stepaniak's Q&A where she answers your question: http://www.vegsource.com/jo/qa/qaprescriptions.htm
    Eve

Eliana

No, you're not an hypocrite at all. Anyway those animals are dead and you cannot make them resurrect. There's nothing that you can do for the past. As in 'Declaration of War' say: it would be like refusing to walk on certain streets because some slaves built them.
    Animals need you alive to fight for them.

One thing that we can do when we MUST take tested medications, is looking for generic brands, when they exist. This way we won't implement animal research.

Ciao,
    Eliana

All medications are originally tested on animals, and if you don't need medications now, you may one day. Eliana is right, none of us is a hypocrite for taking medicine for serious health conditions.
    Eve

It's a personal choice, if you are a diabetic on insulin you would probably die without the drugs. Those of us who do take drugs of any kind can only work towards the day when our drugs are tested humanely but for some conditions you have no choice but to take the drugs. i know of very few people who would choose death over taking drugs that have at some point been tested on animals.

However, I have inflammatory arthritis and osteoarthritis which is thought to have been triggered by the four courses of hepatitis B injections I had (the first 3 didn't "take")as a pre-requisite for working for the NHS. The choice of treatment is steroid injections and drugs like methotrexate. So I had a choice, let the disease kill me or die (eventually) of side effects of drugs used to slow the course of the disease!!!
    I decided not to take any of the drugs, switched our diet to organic vegan, lost 2.5 stone, taken up exercise and have 1-2 more stone to lose. Since going vegan and losing weight I have not had any further episodes of joint swelling or pain and don't need to take pain killer at all. I just ignore the minor aches.
    My GP thinks I am an uniformed hippy but I'm a trained nurse and doing a science degree. I think their treatments and dietary advice are out of the ark. Time will tell who is right, in the meantime I am fit and well, drug free and have had no more problems!

Quote Artichoke47
    No, you are not a hypocrite. It is not your fault that people can't figure out for themselves that animal research is unnecessary, cruel, and unethical. Being a hypocrite would be knowing that there is an alternative available that wasn't tested on animals and buying the animal-tested one just because it was cheaper.
    that's exactly what i said to a girl on my other forum! we should not have to suffer or do w/o things we need because the scientific community is so largely stupid in such respects.

it seriously bugs me when people point out where i am not completely vegan (as in thinks like medicine) - those who point such things out are usually omni's who don't think of it at all except to harass me. we do as much as we can, and that is certainly more than most!
    "Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel

Thanks for this thread, i felt bad about the medicines I was taking. Seeing these replies does help. It also may help to remember, that (from my very new standpoint) vegans believe in causing no harm to any animal. Well, we are animals too. I think we are doing man and animal kind a great service by choosing a healthier lifestyle and advocating a cruelty free world. And it betters us as well. I think we would be doing ourselves and our cause a disservice if we were to suffer and neglect ourselves as well.
    Thanks for listening.
    "Uh, we don't eat meat. It's kind of like a professional courtesy." -Maggie, Home on the Range

Do what you have to to stay alive! Just make sure not to rant like hell about vegetarianism or veganism when it's not necessary. It's easier that way. Ranting and raving doesn't really help. I'm not saying you do that! I have seen people do that and then the same people post some "interesting" replies on this one.

a few months after i went vegan i finally got off prozac- for good. i love it. i am going on a cruise in 2 days and i haven't had a bathing suit in 5 years (got rather large) today my mom dragged me to the mall. i literally started balling my eyes out in Nordstrom's, it was wonderful. finding a bathing suit for a fat girl in the middle of winter is hard! being off prozac is one of the most liberating feelings, next to veganism!

sorry to get off track- since going vegan i have had way less physical and mental problems. i am still hooked on klonipin but if you haven't stopped your meds since going vegan i would give it a try. i am not saying a healthy diet is a cure all but it helped me (i went off Prozac a few years ago and freaked out). i don't have as many sinus problems and for some bizarre reason my heel spur is gone. i had massive heel pain for about 6 months and now it just disappeared.

i wouldn't condone going off meds for really serious mental or physical problems but maybe give alternatives a try. my 85 year old grandma has leukemia and the only thing that keeps her white blood cell count down is acupuncture. her doctors were quite surprised. she is just a "normal" grandma and it is so wonderful that she tried acupuncture. she recommended it to my aunt for her migraines and my other grandma for her mystery cough and they are both doing much better. while i don't think going off meds is good for everyone- i think sometimes there are alternatives. and also i would never judge anyone who is on medication. that seems to be the agreement here too. that's good!

it's late and i had a few beers so i apologize for this long post

Seaside

This was posted in another thread, and I think it is worth spreading around:
    Quote misia
    ...compassion does not become hypocritical just because it can’t be practiced absolutely.

great quote- it will come i handy when others try to start idiotic arguments with me, just for arguments sake

i have to compromise on some things because it is in my best interest- i don't mean food- but using things such as animal hair paint brushes that i already own (won't by new ones) and taking my addictive drug!

Quote John
    Vegans avoid animal products as far as is practical. There is an alternative to cruelty-derived food and clothing, but not medicine. If you are sick then you must take medicine.
    I agree with this. No, you are not a hypocrite for taking medications that keep you alive. If there was a choice between taking a vegan version or a non vegan one, you would choose the vegan one. As it is, your choice is between taking the medications or possibly dying.

One thing that we can do when we MUST take tested medications, is looking for generic brands, when they exist. This way we won't implement animal research.

Ciao,
    Eliana [/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree with this. The generic ones have been tested on animals but only when they were developed.
    The drug companies don't make much profit from the generic drugs, because any company can use the recipe.
    When they make a new drug, they own the patent so only they are allowed to make it. A lot of new drugs are just old drugs which have their recipe tweaked. The company tests it on animals, sells it for a lot more than the original drug and does not allow anyone else to make it until the patent runs out.

Quote Mr Flibble
    Some people would call you unvegan, others would not. Everyone has a line to which they are willing to go to, some are more extreme than others, but i've yet to meet a vegan who has completely removed the use of all animal products from their life or completely stopped killing all animals/insects. I dread to think how many ants I've stepped on in the last week. I guess I could check before I take every step, but I guess that's my level of selfishness, the point at which I just have to get on with my life. Personally my level when it comes to drugs is that I abstain from recreational drugs and drugs for minor illnesses (such as headaches which will go away with time) that may involve animals in the production of (whether testing or ingrediants). For prescription drugs that I am told I have to take my medical professionals I always ask if a vegan alternative is available. I have sucessfully found ones in the past having been told that none are available (what they actually meant is none on the national health service). I've also been in hospital before needing stitches in my chin and gone with anasthetic of unknown origin - I needed the stitches and I'm just not hardcore enough to go without pain releif. Currently I'm happy to be on no medication and haven't been on any long term prescription medicines for years. This is something I'm mindful of and thankful for (I realised it's best to appreciate things whilst I still have them). If i found myself in a situation like yours however then it would be a choice I'd have to make. As far as being affraid of people judging you any less vegan or not, then I guess the question is why are you someone that is classified as a vegan? If you're just in it for the classification then there's something very wrong going on. What matters is your choice.
    Yes, I agree about asking if a vegan version is available and not taking prescription drugs or drugs for minor illnesses where there is an alternative. For example headache, viral infection or flu. I have also turned down anaesthetic when having dental work done, after asking the dentist if I really need it. But if the medication is to treat a life threatening condition then you just have to bite the bullet, and not feel guilty if you have done the right thing.

The drugs I take are thyroxine which I've taken since I was about 8 months old for under active thyroid and Tegretal for Temperal lobe epilepsy (which I've taken since I was 18). I am now 35. Neither these conditions are strictly speaking life threatening but I need them to function normally so I can take care of my critters. I used to take painkillers and hayfever tablets too but now I try to do without those.

I don't think you are a hypocrite at all. I am however going through the same type of struggle.

I am on Effexor 75mg for Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and Panic Disorder. Luckily I can function on this amount, but I would like to quit one day. I hate putting the gelatin capsules in my mouth, but if meds is what it takes to leave my house and feel somewhat normal....I'll do it.

I have tried to quit them before and did okay for about 3 weeks...I thought I somehow beat anxiety......but then suffered again after for almost 6 months before deciding to go back on them.

I wish there was an alternative, but for now this is my only choice. I've also been through months of therapy, but I'm not sure how or if it has helped due to being on meds.

I am cutting down to 37.5 mg in April/06, then by the summer/fall I hope to be off the meds completly.

Happy New Year everyone
    But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

Hi Dreama, I dun think u are a hypocrite. We cant avoid animal products 100%, but what we can do is try our best. If we dun take drugs to cure ourselves, we cant recover/ be strong enough to help promoote veganism too

Prescription medications were not developed by animal testing, they were developed despite animal testing, which actually hinders medical progress. So I'd say that anyone taking prescription medication is absolutely not a hypocrite.

Here is an extract from an article by Dr Jerry Vlasak, heart surgeon and former animal researcher:
    <<The great advances in science that have given us the high standard of medical care humans and animals enjoy today have come from clinical observation, in vitro research, epidemiology, autopsies, serendipity, computer and mathematical modeling, technology, tissue research using the tissue from the species being studied, molecular biology and genetics, post-marketing drug surveillance, the basic sciences of maths, chemistry and physics and the specialization of medical care including the specialization of physicians and veterinarians. The animal experimentation lobby, however, spends millions annually to convince the public that all medical advances are directly due to animal experimentation. Examples of this fallacy include:
    Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is deadly to cats;
    aspirin causes birth defects in some animals and blood abnormalities in cats;
    ibuprofen (Motrin) causes kidney disease in dogs at very low doses.
    Asbestos, arsenic and benzene are a few of the products that lingered on the marketplace because they were proven safe on animals but are deadly to humans.
    Tobacco use was promoted by doctors and many others because it failed to produce ill effects in dogs forced to smoke thousands of cigarettes.
    Penicillin and cyclosporine, a drug used for transplant patients, were held back from human use for decades because they did not work on animals. Penicillin and streptomycin are historical examples of in vitro discovery, and there have been thousands since.
    Not only are in vitro (test tube) tests more humane than killing animals by exposing them to poisons, but also they have been shown to be more accurate in producing results which correlate from laboratory to real life. Toxicity tests using human cell cultures are two to three times more accurate than tests on rats and mice.>>

http://www.shac.net/SCIENCE/vlasik.html

Quote dreama
    The drugs I take are thyroxine which I've taken since I was about 8 months old for under active thyroid and Tegretal for Temperal lobe epilepsy (which I've taken since I was 18). I am now 35. Neither these conditions are strictly speaking life threatening but I need them to function normally so I can take care of my critters. I used to take painkillers and hayfever tablets too but now I try to do without those.
    I don't know enough about thyroids to say if it life threatening but I do know a bit about epilepsy and if you have a fit in the wrong place at the wromg time you could die, so I would consider epilepsy a life threatening condition.
    By the way, do you know about the importance of iodine to thyroid function? It can be low to non existent in some vegan diets.

Quote herbwormwood
    I don't know enough about thyroids to say if it life threatening but I do know a bit about epilepsy and if you have a fit in the wrong place at the wromg time you could die, so I would consider epilepsy a life threatening condition.
    By the way, do you know about the importance of iodine to thyroid function? It can be low to non existent in some vegan diets.
    Thanks. The type of epilepsy is temperal lobe which isn't really life threatening but it can include visual hallucinations, mood swings, and can make me clumsy. Like yesterday the whole of my dinner went on the floor which is why I prefer plastic plates. I don't have grand mal. Just petit mal where you just go blank and temperal lobe.

Thanks very much for telling me about Iodine and thyroxine defficancy. I was born with an under active thyroid. I don't know about iodine but I'm managing on a vegan diet. In fact I'm less of a fussy eater then I used to be. I may have been lactus intolerant without realising it. I'm not vegan for health reasons so even if the lack of iodine wasn't healthy for me I'd stay vegan because I can't bear to eat or exploit other animals.

Can one get extra iodine from artifical vegan methods?

Quote dreama
    Yes, from this very ethical company who make supplements
    http://www.veganicity.com/pages/kelp.htm

Gliondrach

Quote dreama
    Dreama, as you are taking Thyroxine, be very careful to ensure that your arteries stay healthy.

Gliondrach

Quote Maisiepaisie
    Yes, from this very ethical company who make supplements
    http://www.veganicity.com/pages/kelp.htm
    And, if you have to order that and can't wait, you can buy vegan tablets in healthfood shops. I take a tablet each day that provides 150 micrograms of iodine. From kelp. But those ones Maisiepaisie mentioned look good.

Quote dreama
    Thanks. The type of epilepsy is temperal lobe which isn't really life threatening but it can include visual hallucinations, mood swings, and can make me clumsy. Like yesterday the whole of my dinner went on the floor which is why I prefer plastic plates. I don't have grand mal. Just petit mal where you just go blank and temperal lobe.

Thanks very much for telling me about Iodine and thyroxine defficancy. I was born with an under active thyroid. I don't know about iodine but I'm managing on a vegan diet. In fact I'm less of a fussy eater then I used to be. I may have been lactus intolerant without realising it. I'm not vegan for health reasons so even if the lack of iodine wasn't healthy for me I'd stay vegan because I can't bear to eat or exploit other animals.

There is a factsheet about vegans and iodine here http://www.vegansociety.com/html/foo...ion/iodine.php
    You may be getting iodine without realising it if you are using iodised salt. Basically iodine is a mineral which is distributed unevenly in the soil and most of our needs are met by sea products.
    Also I still think that any kind of epilepsy could be a life threatening condition. If you were operating machinery or crossing a busy road and you had a fit it could be very bad news. So your medication is necessaray wheher you have grand mal fits or not. In my opinion.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Gliondrach
    Dreama, as you are taking Thyroxine, be very careful to ensure that your arteries stay healthy.
    Martin, nice to know you can reach your friend Dreama here, isn't it

Dreama, of course you aren't a hypocrite for taking medicine that helps keep you well! You can't be a good vegan if you aren't healthy, now can you?

cvC

Here is a paragraph from the article at the link below and which links under-active thyroid problems with fluoridation:

"Dr Barry Durrant-Peatfield, a thyroid specialist, believes that fluoride is partially to blame for the high incidence of under active thyroid problems (hypothyroidsm) in Birmingham. He says, “There is no doubt that fluoride is enzyme disruptive and one thing it affects is thyroid hormones.” This is because fluoride interferes with the uptake of iodine crucial for the regulation of hormones. Dr Peatfield was suspended by the GMC (General Medical Council) because he made natural thyroid treatments available to his patients. He was subsequently reinstated."

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/NotoFluoridation.php

This is what came up when I did a search on Rense, an alternative news website that I've been reading, and keyed in "fluoride thyroid":

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...arch=rense.com

Here is what came up when I did a search there on epilepsy and the consumption of aspartame is one thing that has been linked with it:

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...arch=rense.com

Stephen

No I don't think you are a hypocrite either. You can't help the world if you arn't healthy and in good condition yourself. You are just important as any other species out there. Take care of yourself so that you have the ability to continue doing great things for others.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Thanks everyone for help and all the useful links.

I've now found I don't have to worry too much about Iodine as I take the multivit Veg1 (made for vegan society) and that has Iodine in it.

Stephen: Thanks for the links. Its interesting to know about florine. It's not likely to have caused my problem though as I was born in Newzealand, lived some time in Australia and only moved to England and France age 3. My family were travelling regularly between those 2 countries until I started school and settled down during term time in Stoke on trent. Since then I have moved to Stafford, Peterbough and only been living in Birmingham for the last 6 years. Its useful information though. Good reason to stick to filtered water.

I have read all of the posts on this thread with great interest. I have been Vegetarian (Lacto) since the age of 16 and I'm 40 Yr old M now. Thats a lot of years! But I only seriously and completely switched over to Veganism about One Month ago. I have been suffering with Chronic Facial Pain for the last 10 Years. I have had two surgeries on the Trigeminal Nerve and have taken tri-cyclic anti-depressants in the past. I've tried Homeopathic remedies, acupuncture etc but the pain is so severe that nothing will relieve it. The pain started after dental treatment and I have seen numerous GP's, Dentist, Specialists, Consultants Neurologists but noone has found the solution YET! At Christmas time I was completely unable to even move my head and when I put food into my mouth I was in such severe pain that I had to let my mouth fall open and food would come out. I have felt suicidal because I have been in so much pain that I have just wanted to die!! I went to my GP and was prescribed Gabapentin and Carbamazapine. I take 3 Gabapentins a day and 2 x Carbamazapine. Since becoming Vegan I scrutinized the ingredients and found that the Gabapentin had shellac and Gelatin in it. I'm assuming these ingredients are in the capsule itself?? So I pour the powder out of the capsule into some Tiger White (Milk) which is sweetened with apple juice and its bitter but better than taking the Gelatin! If I don't take these my life will be unbearable and yesterday I went back to dairy for One Day because I thought to myself "what the hell, I'm having animal tested pills anyway, whats the point"
    The result = I ended up having much worse pain than the last 3 weeks because I went back to Dairy and Coffee and one or both has made the pain escalate! I am convinced that the absence of dairy and eggs/caffeine has improved my pain. So I'm hoping, with complimetary therapies, to try and come off the meds. But at the moment I can't. Anyway, reading these postings have given me great courage and strength to go on with my newly found Vegan diet. I really do feel a million times better!
    Cheers guys. Steve.

Seaside

That sounds horrible Steve. I hope you find relief soon.

tabitha

Poor Steve! I hope things get better soon. It sounds like you are more positive now and I know that helps when you are in pain. My thoughts are with you.

I'm really sorry to hear about your problem. Please do not worry about taking your medicine. Just do the best you can.

Lightbulb Medication

As vegans (or not, all opinions are welcome, after all you do not have to be vegan to agree animals should have rights!) do you think it is right, or acceptable, to use prescribed medication considering much of it contains animal products and it has ALL been tested on animals??

How many of you use alternative therapies when you are ill or need treatment for things?

If you think it is acceptable, or right, to use prescribed medicines what are your reasons for this??

Tiggerwoo

Default Re: Medication

Yes, if necessary. I always look for alternatives as am not a big fan of allopathic medicine anyway as believe alot involves supressing symptoms rather than getting to the root cause, but when necessary then yes.

Besides if vegan's needed medication for serious health conditions and didn't take them and ended up dropping like flies, then there would be none of us left to spread the word about veganism!

tabitha

I dont know the way out of this one. I virtually never use painkillers for colds, headaches etc., and I would try to avoid them all if I could. Luckily (touchwood) Im pretty healthy. However, I am about to go into hospital for some pretty invasive injections of vile stuff on a lump in my neck and tongue to shrink it. Its not something that I try to push to the back of my mind - I always think about the fact that the chemicals will have been tested on animals. Its very upsetting. When I had my appendix out, I was proud of the fact that when the painkillers came round I did without them. That was my "stand" I suppose., if only a small one

A small stand is better than no stand Tabitha!!

Tiger woo - I suppose it depends on what the particular conditions. However, there are many effective anti-biotics and alternatives to different physical and psychological complaints.

Do you think dr's should be prescribing alternatives as a first resort rather than not at all or do you think it is safer just to stick with prescribed medication as it will probably work?
    "Human Freedom, Animal Rights, One Struggle, One Fight!!"

Pratically a I never take medicinals... I really don't need them... Probably I'm very lucky