Thread: Withdrawl signs

Default Withdrawl signs

I just started a vegan diet after I watched some very graphic documentations about the meat/dairy industry. I have never been a big meat eater but did eat lots of dairy on a daily basis. About 5 days ago I started cutting all meat and dairy from my diet and now started getting headaches, heat flashes, occasional dizziness and even small panic attacks. I also feel kind of hung over, fatigued and thirsty all the time. At the same, in some way I also feel better than before, which is really interesting. I do eat quite a bit each day, starting with cereal with almond milk,then lots of fruits, veggies, nut butters, nuts, whole grain breads and pastas and rice. I take a multi vitamin pill a day just until i get the hang of it. Has anyone had the same symptoms starting out?

Default Re: Withdrawl signs

I felt 'not quite right' for a fair time after I first went vegetarian, brina.

Think it was a mixture of detoxification, body system adjustment and a smattering of phsychological 'fears' playing on my mind.

Welcome to the forum, btw
    All done in the best possible taste ...

I did not have any of those symptoms personally. Getting meat and dairy out of my diet only did good things for me (increased stamina and energy, no more sinus problems and congestion, better digestion, improved cholesterol numbers). Did you start the multi vitamin recently? I know I can not tolerate a lot of vitamins, especially multis for some reason, and I can see how I would get those types of symptoms with that. Just a thought. It is common for people starting out not to eat enough when cutting out meat and dairy. Fruits and vegetables, beans, and most whole grains are not as calorific so one tends to need to eat more of them. But if you are getting enough, it may just be your body needs to adjust to the major changes in diet you have undertaken. I was not a huge dairy eater before as I had a terrible intolerance to it so maybe someone else who ate more of it and abruptly stopped has had the same experience?

The heat flashes are probably from the b3 (I think!) in your multivitamin, if it's one of those ones with a huge % of the recommended amount.
    Last edited by dropscone; Feb 24th, 2014 at 11:26 PM. Reason: wrong vitamin b!

Thank you for all of your replies!! Yes I left out the vitamin supplements. Not sure why I took them, I probably never ate this healthy in my life. I'm feeling a lot better now almost 2 weeks into the change and boy, all the things I've learned so far, I don't think I'll ever eat animal products again. So much horror behind the curtain Almost everything I have eaten so far was processed through animals in some way...even sugar???!!!??? Crazy

I was ill for a few months after going vegan (though mine was digestive problems). Our bodies can take awhile to adjust, especially going from unhealthy foods to more fruits, vegetables etc. But soon we start reaping the rewards of healthy vegan eating.

Are you managing to find lots of delicious vegan foods?
    "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

Before I was vegan I was dealing with a lot of nausea and I never realized that it was tied to my diet, just thought it was part of me, silly I know. When I became vegan the nausea I was feeling almost every other day disappeared entirely. One of the best things I've ever done in my life.

Also, meats, especially the stuff you put on your bread is very toxic in my opinion. There are lots of ingredients in there that are very bad for you. I wouldn't be surprised that when you stop eating all that stop your body goes into a detox mode and sheds all that evil stuff from your body for a few weeks and you can feel a bit ill during this period. Just a thought.
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/Solkiki for stone ground, bean-to-bar, vegan, white, milk and dark, caramel and raw chocolate