Thread: I'd like to help India and Thailand

Default I'd like to help India and Thailand

When the tsunami first hit, I was devestated, and I gave money. It didn't feel like I did anything at all though. I heard a few weeks before the tsunami hit that you can live in thailand for $4 a day in a hut. Why then do I not renounce this life and go to india or thailand to help rebuild? I really want to do something meaningful with my life, and I'd like to take my dog too lol.

The only thing I have been able to find in regards to helping is orginizations that I can send money too. I want to go myself though. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or should I just go the airport and get a plane ticket?

Have you contacted any of the aid agencies directly? I'm sure if you emailed or phoned a few who actually have people over there doing the work they could give you a better idea of how to go about it. Good luck

I emailed a couple of them shortly after posting this. There is also a guy at work that I did some work for that said he had some stuff going on in thailand and that he had been over there helping. I wil see if I can't track him down tommorow. Thanks for the wishes

Geoff

I have contacts in Sri Lanka and will ask them about volunteering if you like.

That would be great! Thanks

Kim[ba], I understand where you're coming from, but unless you've got some special skills, your money would probably be more useful to them than your labor - or so I think... I'm not saying you shouldn't go, I'm sure you would learn a lot from it, and it might be an amazing experience. But, it might just be that simply sending money would help them more even though it would require far less involvement on your part.

PinkFluffyCloud

You're joking, Hasha, they now have so much money that they cannot spend it all!

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    You're joking, Hasha, they now have so much money that they cannot spend it all!
    OK. I must then be uninformed.

Geoff

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    Who are 'they' that have all this money PFC?

Kim(ba) - I'll PM you with more info but the chief monk from a monastery in Kandy said that there's plenty for a volunteer to do.

Anyone interested in what's happening in Sri Lanka can go to: www.subodha.org

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote Geoff
    Who are 'they' that have all this money PFC?

Kim(ba) - I'll PM you with more info but the chief monk from a monastery in Kandy said that there's plenty for a volunteer to do.

Well, it has been on the News here several times that the Disaster Fund has so much money now that the aid agencies cannot use it/cope with it, etc, so some of the money may have to be re-distributed. There has been much debate about it here because people who have donated are up in arms about how their money might now get used.

Been on the news here too.
    Eve

Geoff

And we all know how reliable media reports are don't we?
    Thanks to the media 42% of Americans thought that Iraqis flew planes into the WTC and that Iraq was knee deep in WMD!

PinkFluffyCloud

Right, so keep pumping money at them when they already have millions!
    Disbelieve everything that you're told via the Media!

I notice the aid agencies involved were agreeing that they do have a problem with the sums of money involved - but, hey, maybe they are liars, too??

Geoff

The trouble with sweeping generalisations is that they tend to be wrong. Saying that 'they' have enough money indicates to me that there's no need to donate and this is FAR from the truth. For example, the monastery I mentioned in an earlier post is building 100 houses for some of the poorest tsunami victims. Each house costs Rs.300,000, giving a total of Rs.30,000,000 required. So far they have received Rs.3,300,000 leaving them Rs. 26,700,000 short. And that's for a mere 100 houses! Given that 31,000 people died in Sri Lanka, I imagine that a great many houses will be needed.
    Other organisations that I would imagine can use donations are Food For Life and Animals Asia who are probably involved in caring for animals in the affected areas.
    Details on how to donate to the housing project: http://www.subodha.org/STDF.htm

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    Disbelieve everything that you're told via the Media!
    Yeah, basically! I mean, don't just take what they say and believe the opposite either, but don't just trust them either. I don't watch tv at all anymore because I saw that it was pumping my head full of false images, and unattainable desires.

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote Kim[ba]
    Yeah, basically! I mean, don't just take what they say and believe the opposite either, but don't just trust them either. I don't watch tv at all anymore because I saw that it was pumping my head full of false images, and unattainable desires.

Believe it or not, as an open-minded Vegan I do tend to question whatever I'm told and am not completely naiive! .
    Could you please tell me who would benefit from lying about this particular issue???

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote Geoff
    The trouble with sweeping generalisations is that they tend to be wrong. Saying that 'they' have enough money indicates to me that there's no need to donate and this is FAR from the truth. For example, the monastery I mentioned in an earlier post is building 100 houses for some of the poorest tsunami victims. Each house costs Rs.300,000, giving a total of Rs.30,000,000 required. So far they have received Rs.3,300,000 leaving them Rs. 26,700,000 short. And that's for a mere 100 houses! Given that 31,000 people died in Sri Lanka, I imagine that a great many houses will be needed.
    Other organisations that I would imagine can use donations are Food For Life and Animals Asia who are probably involved in caring for animals in the affected areas.
    Details on how to donate to the housing project: http://www.subodha.org/STDF.htm
    Well why don't they make enquiries as to the re-distribution of all the surplus donations?

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote Geoff
    And we all know how reliable media reports are don't we?
    Thanks to the media 42% of Americans thought that Iraqis flew planes into the WTC and that Iraq was knee deep in WMD!
    So you think that all came from the media and had nothing to do with Government propaganda???

PinkFluffyCloud

Maybe the Tsunami didn't happen atall, it was just a good story for the Media??

Quote Kim[ba]
    When the tsunami first hit, I was devestated, and I gave money. It didn't feel like I did anything at all though. I heard a few weeks before the tsunami hit that you can live in thailand for $4 a day in a hut. Why then do I not renounce this life and go to india or thailand to help rebuild? I really want to do something meaningful with my life, and I'd like to take my dog too lol.

The only thing I have been able to find in regards to helping is orginizations that I can send money too. I want to go myself though. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or should I just go the airport and get a plane ticket?
    Kim[ba] if you decide that's what you want then go for it, there are several new orphanages that have had to be opened in indonesia and sri lanka. I would love to help Thailand, it's my favourite place in the world, but at the mo indonesia and sri lanka are in greater need, the lose of life was biggest and the devastation most wide spread.
    I have a colleague that is opening an orphanage in sri lanka, I'll ask her what volunteer needs she has if you want.
    Come to the darkside, we have cookies!

Yeah boomer, that would be great!

PFC, you seem a little anxious to defend the media...

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote Kim[ba]
    Yeah boomer, that would be great!

Ha-Ha, I'm a secret Media Mogul!

Anyway, Kim, I truly support your idea of physically helping out, it would be a great experience and really worthwhile. Can I write a big story about it afterwards? Make sure *I* get the Scoop!

Quote Kim[ba]
    I read this more as someone pointing out that lying comes from all sources, not just from the media. My news source is basically more independent sources, not mainstream media, but I still don't believe everything they are telling me. I don't think anyone ever knows reality of any given situation because the reality is different for each person.

I believe the "they" you are thinking of is Unicef, which at one point had reached the full amount of money to do whatever particular actions they do. Other charities that deal with the situation, though, are not as fortunate. I believe that those news reports were intended to help people direct their donations better.

Quote feline01
    I read this more as someone pointing out that lying comes from all sources, not just from the media. My news source is basically more independent sources, not mainstream media, but I still don't believe everything they are telling me. I don't think anyone ever knows reality of any given situation because the reality is different for each person.
    I agree that it is rare for anyone to ever know the truth of any situation. Look at all the lies we were fed about Iraq, about Bin Laden, about all sorts of issues. As for the tsunami donations etc, I do know from the newsletters I get from MSF (doctors without borders) that they definitely put a full stop on any more donations that they were in no position to utilise. As for Sri Lanka, they knocked back offers of donations from a few countries that they didn't like, such as Israel, and as for Indonesia, it is the most corrupt country in the whole region; not the sort of place for my donations.

However, I'm sure we all look forward to reading what happened.
    Eve

PinkFluffyCloud

Just had an e-mail today from Karin Ridgers (VegSX) commenting that the Tsunami fund has hit other charities hard. Apparently Hopefield Animal Sanctary, Essex, has really suffered and is having to borrow money to buy animal feed. People get caught up in these human tragedies abroad and forget that there are other needy causes still desperate for help in their own countries.

Geoff

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    Believe it or not, as an open-minded Vegan I do tend to question whatever I'm told and am not completely naiive! .
    Could you please tell me who would benefit from lying about this particular issue???
    The media 'beat up' stories to sell papers or boost ratings. I've had to take legal action against a reporter who grossly misreported what I had said. Anyone who's been interviewed by a reporter will tell you how they selectively quote, exaggerate etc.
    What concerned me about PFC's statement that 'they have enough money' is that it implied that there was no need for more funds anywhere in the areas struck by the tsunami.
    I rang Oxfam / Community Aid Abroad today who told me that their appeal is still open and that the projects in Banda Aceh will be going for at least 5 yrs., maybe 10, so it's going to be a long time before they stop needing money. Care Australia is also still appealing for funds. Of course both these organisations work all over the world so will probably revert to general fundraising at some stage.
    Eve - should the people of Banda Aceh not receive aid because the Indonesian govt. is corrupt? I would imagine that Oxfam / CAA keep at arms length from the Indonesian authorities.
    I'll continue to donate to the fund set up by the Sri Lankan monks as I know and trust them and the money will go straight to the project with nothing lost through administrative costs.
    And boomer - keep your hands off Kim(ba)! I recruited him first!

PinkFluffyCloud

Yes, I have been misquoted/selectively quoted many a time in my life.

Geoff, you ask if the people of Banda Aceh should not receive aid because the Indonesian govt. is corrupt.

My answer is definitely, because the money that is going to Banda Aceh is going to the government, that is still ACTIVELY at war with their rebels (who want independence from Indonesia). The money is buying arms, and what is going towards food etc, feeds the govt troops. It is rather like the situation that was in East Timor when the Indonesian troops and militia murdered the 'rebels'.

By all means continue giving money to the Sri Lankan monks fund, as you would know them personally.
    Eve

Global graft watchdog Transparency International has said the destruction of infrastructure, including public records, combined with major inflows of aid provided "huge scope" for corruption in some countries.

Chairman of the NGO Aceh Recovery Forum, Ahmed Humam Hamid, says one of the concerns in the Indonesian province is that aid funds would be used by the Government in its fight against separatists.
    Eve

Many of the larger charities have ended their appeals because they do have enough money to complete the projects they have planned. Some charities such as The Red Cross claim they will even have difficulty spending the money they have raised. But there has been lots of bad press which gives the impression that all charities have enough money. You just have to look to find many charities crying out for help. I searched and found this -

http://www.thaitsunamilongtail.com/

As much as I would like to go out and help rebuild these boats (or roads or houses etc) myself, I know the money I would spend on the airfare alone would be much better spent on paying local skilled boat builders to do the work themselves.
    Unless someone has a specific skill they know will be useful I think sending money is the best option.
    "He who binds himself to a Joy, Does the winged life destroy;
    He who kisses the Joy as it flies, Lives in Eternity's sunrise"
    William Blake

Geoff

Quote eve
    Geoff, you ask if the people of Banda Aceh should not receive aid because the Indonesian govt. is corrupt.

My answer is definitely, because the money that is going to Banda Aceh is going to the government, that is still ACTIVELY at war with their rebels (who want independence from Indonesia). The money is buying arms, and what is going towards food etc, feeds the govt troops. It is rather like the situation that was in East Timor when the Indonesian troops and militia murdered the 'rebels'.
    By all means continue giving money to the Sri Lankan monks fund, as you would know them personally.
    Do you realise what you said Eve? 'The people of Banda Aceh should definitely not receive aid'
    That statement is disgraceful, mean spirited and cobblers.
    'Aid' does not necessarily mean 'money.' It includes things like food, cooking utensils, plastic sheeting and mosquito nets, supplied by Oxfam / CAA out of their UK base.
    I don't donate to any government and I'm sure that Oxfam, which has been working in disaster areas for decades, knows all about corrupt governments.

You specifically mentioned Banda Aceh - where NGOs are not allowed in. Since you are so adamant about this, I won't bother sticking in my two-pennorth any more. I just wish that all the people who feel so strongly about the tsunami relief, gave a thought to the dreadful plight of various African countries where people have been murdered in huge numbers, women have been repeatedly assaulted, and hundreds of thousands starving to death. But then there hasn't been much in the media about it, and everybody seems to cling to the mainstream media for the source of their information.
    Eve

Geoff

As I said Eve - you're talking rubbish. The following is from the Oxfam Website:

'More than 100,000 people have died in Aceh and some 400,000 people have been displaced.
    In the short-term, we provided some 75,000 people across Banda Aceh, Aceh Besar and Aceh Jaya with food, medicines and plastic sheeting for shelter.
    We have built toilets and delivered clean water to tens of thousands of people. Our public health teams worked in partnership with local groups to ensure the prevention of epidemics in settlements where affected communities sought refuge.
    Over the coming months we will increasingly focus on developing a range of sustainable solutions to assist displaced people over the longer term and work through local organisations, whose knowledge of the area and their community will complement our technical expertise.
    We have so far allocated $5.5 million to Indonesia.'

Of course we know what's happening in other countries any many of us donate there too. I've been supporting the Abbis Ababa Fistula Hospital for years, but the tsunami was an immediate and urgent crisis. If I was on my way to volunteer at the RSPCA and came across an injured animal I would stop and help. We all do what we can but to say that people shouldn't be given aid because their government is corrupt is disgraceful. Virtually ALL governments are corrupt to some degree.