Thread: "No Lie Can Live Forever: Predicting a Vegan America by 2050"

Default "No Lie Can Live Forever: Predicting a Vegan America by 2050"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-...b_4905691.html

A short excerpt:
    Consider that until the 1900s millions of young children worked in our factories... and how untenable that would be today. Consider that a country built on the backs of slaves elected Barack Obama in 2008. Consider that seventeen states in a country where gays lived painfully in the closet just decades ago, now allow them to marry. "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice," Martin Luther King said, paraphrasing a longer quotation from transcendentalist Theodore Parker. Our nation's history speaks this truth.
    And consider that a 2012 study found that when ten percent of the population holds "an unshakable belief, that belief is always adopted by the majority of the society."
    Most importantly, consider what's happening before our very eyes:
    1. Meat consumption is down, while "all things vegan" are on the rise.
    In 2012, Americans consumed 12.2 percent less meat than in 2007. Half of us are aware of Meatless Mondays, and nearly as many are, in fact, eating at least one vegetarian meal a week. A Google search for "vegan.....
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: "No Lie Can Live Forever: Predicting a Vegan America by 2050"

Nice find. Let's hope that the multi-national food companies get the message and start showing vegan food TV commercials. That'll get things going in the right direction.

One thing that really bugs me is the way the climate-change greenies generally seem to neglect to put out the vegan message in order to cut greenhouse emissions. Meat production is the largest contributor to greenhouse gasses exceeding even factories and motor transport. They dream up schemes to continue our current lifestyle and excessive energy consumption and expect a windmill or carbon credits to solve the problem of earth changing emissions. They ignore the fact that the biggest changes will come about by making rational choices about what they put into their mouths. The Huffington Post article appears to show up their false sense of cowardly political expediency.

Quote vegandingo View Post
    One thing that really bugs me is the way the climate-change greenies generally seem to neglect to put out the vegan message in order to cut greenhouse emissions.
    That chafes my britches too, Dingo.

It's not just greenhouse emissions the benefits of veganism are ignored over either. A whole pile of other 'greenie' hot potatoes (deforestation, desertification, etc) also neglect to factor the benefits of veganism into the equation.

I learned this from a couple of 'ding-dongs' I've had with greenies though; It's the 'necessity' myth in play mostly.

Like the idea that people can thrive'n'survive without meat is in the same 'unthinkables' category as people being able to thrive'n'survive without water.
    Last edited by Clueless Git; Mar 11th, 2014 at 11:09 AM.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

I find this hard to believe, but he makes a good case.

I have noticed a big shift in the way that a lot of people see vegans. When I just turned vegan about 20 years ago a lot of people had never heard of it and just thought it was a funny and weird thing to do. Now a lot of people actually know about veganism, some have thought about being vegan or were on a plant based diet for a while and some say it's not for them. When i speak to the last group especially and they learn about it they are more accepting towards it. So there has been a noticeable shift in attitude. I think 2050 is too quick, maybe in 300 or 400 years, but I don't think everyone will be vegan, but I love the idea.
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/Solkiki for stone ground, bean-to-bar, vegan, white, milk and dark, caramel and raw chocolate

Quote khadagan View Post
    I find this hard to believe, but he makes a good case.
    Personally, I take all such statements (like the one I quote) with some grains of salt. Most likely, the whole world will never go entirely vegan. But there's a noticeable difference between what people associate with vegan today and what they did, say, 10 years ago, when this forum was in it's early days.

In this blog, David Weigel writes that
    "Dennis Kucinich's veganism, in 2003 and 2004 (and 2007), was covered as proof of his essential weirdness. By 2008 or so, a diet that had been reserved for dog walkers and people who rescue food from dumpsters was catching on with celebrities and rich people. And now it's something Bill Clinton can boast about.
    So - with Kucinich, Clinton and Al Gore on board, maybe someone will start to call it the 'Presidential Diet'? But wait... it isn't a diet, it's a concept which doesn't cover what we eat, but what we don't eat and use do – and why.

There has been a lot of articles about veganism becoming more mainstream lately, and that means that it will be a lot easier to be respected as a vegan and that the whole idea of living a life free from animal products will be something more people will consider. That's great, especially for all those animals which aren't suffering as a result of the current change. With reference to the quote in post #1: If it's correct that Americans consumed 12.2 percent less meat in 2012 than in 2007, we're talking about a LOT of animals. Still - there are going to be a lot of "nicotine is not addictive"-moments before we see some really substantial change...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Quote vegandingo View Post
    One thing that really bugs me is the way the climate-change greenies generally seem to neglect to put out the vegan message in order to cut greenhouse emissions.
    I feel you on this. I actually run an environmental group and it's been rough seeing how many other groups simply ignore this fact. It's why the group I run actually has a local veg*an meetup as one of our programs and we hold Meatout each year and pass out vegan information at all of our events. To us the messages definitely overlap!!

Quote meco veg View Post
    I feel you on this. I actually run an environmental group and it's been rough seeing how many other groups simply ignore this fact. It's why the group I run actually has a local veg*an meetup as one of our programs and we hold Meatout each year and pass out vegan information at all of our events. To us the messages definitely overlap!!
    Agreed. What a great idea to do a vegan meetup as well and how wonderful that you're informing people about this.
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/Solkiki for stone ground, bean-to-bar, vegan, white, milk and dark, caramel and raw chocolate