Thread: Any vegans with Sjogren's or autoimmune diseases of the digestive tract?

Default Any vegans with Sjogren's or autoimmune diseases of the digestive tract?

Hi Everyone. I am new here. I've been a vegetarian for 30 years but also gave up milk, butter, and ice cream long ago. Now I will take the final step and give up the cheese. It is so hard to digest anyway. My BIG question and concern is that it looks like I have Sjogren's Syndrome and it has attacked my exocrine pancreas so I have severe pancreatic insufficiency. I take plenty of vegan plant enzymes before I eat small meals. My GP wants to send me to a gastrolenterologist but I do NOT WANT their animal enzymes. Anyway, I would like to ask if there are any other vegans here who also have put their foot down to their MD's that you do not want animal enzymes or replacement thyroid hormones. If someone else here has the kind of digestive issue I have, have you found a vegan enzyme brand that you found works better for your digestion than the other vegan ones?

Default Re: Any Vegans with Sjogren's or autoimmune diseases of the digestive tract?

I think it's wonderful that you're looking for a vegan alternative. I hope there's something good out there for you.

And cheese is very addictive and for a lot the most difficult thing to give up. I wouldn't be surprised if you would get cheese cravings. In cow's milk and other animal or human milk is natural morphine, you can say that's the natural biological bond between mother and child or cow and calf in this case. This makes cheese very addictive and many vegans are obsessed with finding good vegan cheese.

I'm sorry I can't advice you on anything to do with Sjogren's Syndrome, but I just wanted to wish you good luck with your health.
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/Solkiki for stone ground, bean-to-bar, vegan, white, milk and dark, caramel and raw chocolate

Default Re: Any Vegans with Sjogren's or autoimmune diseases of the digestive tract?

Thank you so much for your response, Khadagan. Any support really helps!

Thank you for the sympathy also about it being hard to give up cheese. I tried it before but failed. But this time, I'm going to dig my heals in because I know now that it is bad for my digestion and it weakens my body so that'll do it for me. I'm getting closer and closer to being a vegan! Thanks again for your good wishes for it all.

Try some vegan cheeses and don't forget about nutritional yeast to make anything more cheesy. There are loads of cheesy options out there that are vegan and really lovely. Make sure not to expect an exact copy of the cheese you're used to eating because it's not the same product and you might feel disappointed, but they're delicious in their own right. Just see it as a wonderful new extention of your new life in where you'll discover so many new products that you might have otherwise never thought of trying.

And I know what you mean about dairy cheese being hard to digest, when I was still omni and veggie I had a love/hate relationship with it. It was a go-to-food for me and i ate it more out of habit, but it often left me feeling a bit sick all that fat in my system, I'm so happy that is far behind me now, I feel so much better. I hope you'll be feeling the difference too. For the cheese cravings give it a few weeks at least.

Any time I felt weak to turn back when i just turned vegan I reminded myself of the reasons why I turned to veganism in the first place. Then any food I fancied that wasn't vegan wasn't such a temptation anymore.
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/Solkiki for stone ground, bean-to-bar, vegan, white, milk and dark, caramel and raw chocolate