Thread: Vegan items that freeze well?

Default Vegan items that freeze well?

I recently stopped shopping at the local organic market due to finding out about some shady practices that just...really bother me. This means that the next closest place to get many vegan alternatives is about an hour away and I can only go once per month, sometimes not for a few months. Does anyone have experience with trying to freeze items such as earth balance, daiya, beyond meat, aviana, etc? Or can you tell me brands you have frozen with some success? I try to eat mostly whole foods myself, but my husband does a lot of processed items and I want to find a way to keep them around while only shopping occasionally. Thanks so much!

Default Re: Vegan items that freeze well?

Quote meco veg View Post
    I recently stopped shopping at the local organic market due to finding out about some shady practices that just...really bother me. This means that the next closest place to get many vegan alternatives is about an hour away and I can only go once per month, sometimes not for a few months. Does anyone have experience with trying to freeze items such as earth balance, daiya, beyond meat, aviana, etc? Or can you tell me brands you have frozen with some success? I try to eat mostly whole foods myself, but my husband does a lot of processed items and I want to find a way to keep them around while only shopping occasionally. Thanks so much!
    I've frozen Daiya cheese various times without problems. Also any type of sausages that are in the fridge I've frozen without issues. Tofu as well, tempeh comes only frozen I think, although we make our own mostly anyway. You should be able to freeze any type of burger you find in the fridge without problem. I have frozen Earth balance Shortening in the freezer which I unfreeze bits of sometimes. I don't know about the butter, but I think they last a long time anyway. I usually buy loads when it's on special and just pile it up in the fridge for number of months. You can also make your own burgers, fallafel, tofu patties, pasties, etc and freeze them. When I have time I make a huge amount in one go and just stick the rest in the freezer.

What kind of shady practices are you talking about with your local organic market or shouldn't I ask?
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/Solkiki for stone ground, bean-to-bar, vegan, white, milk and dark, caramel and raw chocolate

Quote khadagan View Post
    What kind of shady practices are you talking about with your local organic market or shouldn't I ask?
    I actually used to be the manager there for two years so I knew everything behind the scenes that was going on. A few of the things that happened that led to me not shopping there:
    * Selling many items that they knew contained GMOs or selling chicken they knew was fed GMO feed yet touting that they are a "GMO Free Store"
    * Letting employees take a day off for a birthday or family emergency and if the person's replacement went over 40 hours (which always happened because everyone worked 40 hours) they made the person taking off pay the overtime for their replacement out of their paycheck. Very illegal...has been reported a few times now by a few people.
    * Labeling fresh items as vegan when they contained chicken boullion or beef broth.
    * Selling "local" produce that was from halfway across the country.

Plus general awful treatment of employees, and all that is only the tip of the iceberg. It's actually why I left, but I still continued to shop there because I had so few options. But once I learned about the stuff with the fresh items labeled "vegan" actually containing animal products I stopped because I don't feel I can trust them.

That does sound awful. I do think this sort of thing, like people tampering with the food, goes on in a lot of places. But ofcourse, when you know you know and I wouldn't be able to shop there anymore either. Especially if I would have worked there like you and with the other things that are going on there with the employees.

Well I hope the other places you'll shop at will be better than this. Maybe you should start your own organic shop, sounds like they can use some competition
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/Solkiki for stone ground, bean-to-bar, vegan, white, milk and dark, caramel and raw chocolate