Thread: Vegan without legumes and seeds

Default Vegan without legumes and seeds

I'm not handling legumes very well, and I've read too much on lectins and other toxins in seeds to be able to eat them. So, I just wonder if there's someone with a similar approach to this type of vegan-diet here.

Basically, what I am saying, is that I do NOT eat beans, grains, nuts, or any SEEDS at all. Because seeds contain one or more of lectins, gluten, enzyme inhibitors, phytic acids, seed starches and cyanogenic glycosides. Of course there's various degrees of how MUCH and WHAT the different seeds contain, but I'm a bit of extreme when it comes to these types of things.

Here's some info that will explain it better than I'm bothered to do.
    http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/
    http://www.paleoplan.com/2011/03-30/...s-and-legumes/
    http://diagnosisdiet.com/food/grains...uts-and-seeds/

There's much more to read, and of course there's scientifically backed facts and all that jazz. But I'm not here to be a wikipedia.

I just wonder on what alternatives I should go for? Like veggies, fruits and berries. I know I'm being very difficult, and that I might end up with deficiencies. But I don't feel good after eating legumes or seeds. My whole body objects!

Default Re: Vegan without legumes and seeds.

I would go and see a doctor/nutritionist if I were you as I don't think you can get all of your vitamins/minerals without eating nuts/seeds/beans.

The only problem I have with doctors/nutritionists is that most of the time, they recommend a plant based diet with grains, lean meat and dairy on the side. It's part of the western-world indoctrination - and I can't stand it.
    I'm probably being biased, but still, I can't take them seriously if they actually recommend eating meat, dairy or grains.

I am taking supplements though, so I do get the various vitamins, minerals, proteins, dietary fibers and so on. However, I shouldn't base my diet on supplements. That would not help - it's just something to aid.

I do know that not all lectins are bad, and I do know that there's varying amounts in different products. But I guess that's why I'm being active here now, since I want to find out more.

The easy answer to your problems is to sprout your seeds and legumes. Google "sprouting" and you will find that sprouting eliminates most of the digestion/absorption problems of seeds, grains and legumes. I used to sprout grains as well but I now eliminate all grains from my diet and I feel 1000% better for it. Supplements are another 'food' that I avoid except for methylcobalamin B12.

Hmm, yeah. I use the Garden of Life Raw Meal (without soy) as a supplement, and it uses sprouted seeds, along with different fruits and vegetables.

Default Re: Vegan without legumes and seeds

Where do you get proteins if you move out grains/seeds?