Thread: Upstet by farmer's attitude to a distressed calf on farming TV show

Default Upstet by farmer's attitude to a distressed calf on farming TV show

I caught a bit of a farming show today, one of those Countryfile type programmes. And a cow had to have a caesarean and the calf was unable to stand, and the cow wouldn't bond with the calf. The vet and farmer realised the calf had problems with it's legs and put some splints on. And the poor thing was struggling and distressed, and all the effing farmer could say was 'It's a shame, because it's a big calf'. This poor baby animal was in distress, couldn't walk and being rejected by it's mother. And all he could only think about this beautiful baby animal in terms of size and monetary gain. I just couldn't get my head around how cold he was. I am so thankful I am vegan, I am so glad I'm not lining their pockets any more. How could anyone speak that way about a day old baby who was struggling and in pain?
    Last edited by misosoup; Apr 13th, 2014 at 12:11 PM.

I think the farmer in this case just sees the calf as an object, they don't really relate to him/her as a suffering being. It doesn't make them a bad person, it is just what they need to do in order to be in such an awful and violent business. I'm not saying that it is right, just a case of cognitive dissonance at work.
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Upstet by farmer's attitude to a distressed calf on farming TV show

I think most people, even meat eaters, would have been distressed by what the calf was going through. I can't get my head around viewing a suffering animal as an 'object'. Nobody forces them to do this job. They chose a job that exploits animals. I don't really see this person as a victim who has to detach so they can do their job, maybe they just don't care? Some people just really don't care about animals, and don't care if they suffer.
    Last edited by misosoup; Apr 13th, 2014 at 11:09 AM.

Default Re: Upstet by farmer's attitude to a distressed calf on farming TV show

You're right misosoup; the only victims here are the animals. It doesn't take much intelligence to know that all living beings suffer but when that person Is so devoid of compassion for the suffering of other living beings and deliberately inflicting that suffering out of their own choice ; for me that does not equate to a good human being.