Thread: Veganism in north-eastern Germany

Default Veganism in north-eastern Germany

Hi people - wonder if anyone can help me? My partner and I are invited to visit friends Ringenwalde in a place called Uckermark in Germany, in 2015. Has anyone any experience of this area? Any recommendations for vegan-friendly places to eat? I don't know yet if we'll have our own car with us but I'm working on the assumption I will have (I plan driving to my friend's place via the ferry, after visiting my relations near Hull).

TIA

David
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Default Re: Veganism in north-eastern Germany

Hi, I haven't been there but if it's the place I think it seems to be only about 20 miles from Berlin which is a top vegan destination, so you might be in luck, at least if you are mobile and/or have self-catering facilities.

Ringenwalde itself looks quite rural so I wouldn't necessarily expect a lot of vegan-friendly hostelries, or a lot of anything - http://www.ringenwal.de/ says (according to Google translate!) "Two inns with pension offer venison and fish specialties from the region."

Quote harpy View Post
    Hi, I haven't been there but if it's the place I think it seems to be only about 20 miles from Berlin which is a top vegan destination, so you might be in luck, at least if you are mobile and/or have self-catering facilities.
    You have a very good point there harpy. In fact, it's one more brilliant reason to go.

David
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I would never miss a chance to go to Berlin. Ringenwalde looks jolly nice too though, apart from the food issue.

Me & some friends just had a trip to Berlin. There's some awesome vegan places there

Hi,

had a look at some of the links on the page shared by Harpy.
    Maybe it is not as bad as it might be in other rural areas ... they have something called a "biosphere reservation" that seems to be dedicated to sustainable living, hotels there offer free e-bikes and similar. Quite likely that there are also some places that offer veg-friendly food.

Here is a place a little distance from Ringenwalde / Ueckermark that claims to be specialized on vegetarian dishes (but they also do offer meat dishes)...

http://www.salon-im-gutshaus.de/

Why not send them a mail and check if they also have vegan food?

Best regards,
    Andy

(bump)

We're definitely going to this area for a fortnight in September 2015. We're in Ireland and because we're invited for music we're going by car (so the instruments are safe with us all the time), Rosslare to Cherbourg then on through France to visit friends in Mehmels (Germany) before travelling to Ringenwalde.

I've made a note of that website, Andy_T: they do vegan options.

The place we're staying (http://www.landgasthofzumgruenenbaum.de) have emailed to say 'It is no problem for us that your Veganer is'! which is a refreshing reply.

We're going to stop overnight in France on our journey - somewhere like Rouen, Amiens or St Quentin. Anyone got any pointers for vegans in those cities (or indeed any other cities along that line)?

Regards
    David

Hi David,

that looks good!

I did a google.de search for "Ringenwalde vegetarisch" and found that article (unfortunately in German) about the place where you are going to stay:

http://www.heimatherz.com/2013/04/sa...nder-der-html/

It says - among other things - that they have lots of vegetarian dishes and always cook fresh, so definitely looks good to me