Thread: Yay/nay to protein bars for breakfast?

Default Yay/nay to protein bars for breakfast?

I found the Cliff Bodybuilders bars and they have 20 grams of protein. I really struggle with breakfast so I thought these were great to have - I get a ton of protein and stay full all morning. However, my fiance thinks that I shouldn't eat them because I'm not actively exercising and they aren't meant to be eaten just to eat them - any thoughts? I am trying to get as much protein as possible so I thought these were a good choice but now he has me worried because of the fat content of the bars. Thank you.

Default Re: Yay/nay to protein bars for breakfast?

Quote chicadelcaribe View Post
    I found the Cliff Bodybuilders bars and they have 20 grams of protein. I really struggle with breakfast so I thought these were great to have - I get a ton of protein and stay full all morning. However, my fiance thinks that I shouldn't eat them because I'm not actively exercising and they aren't meant to be eaten just to eat them - any thoughts? I am trying to get as much protein as possible so I thought these were a good choice but now he has me worried because of the fat content of the bars. Thank you.
    Cliff bars are not much more than glorified candy bars with a lot of sugar and are highly processed. They are fine for an occasional snack or in a pinch when food availability while traveling is an issue, but there are other healthier ways to get protein as a vegan for breakfast:

You could have whole grain toast with beans on top

hot cereal using a higher protein whole grain such as quinoa, millet, oats, or buckwheat groats and add nuts/seeds, fruits etc Add a glass of soy milk with it (the combination of the grain, soy milk, and nuts or seeds would be equivalent to about 20 grams of protein and would also give you other nutrients that the bar wouldn't and while it might be more calories it will fill you up and sustain you for much longer)...use the organic kind of soy milk with whole soybeans, not soy flour

scrambled tofu and vegetables (high quality sprouted tofu has something like 14 grams of protein per serving and if you add a cup of leafy greens like broccoli or spinach that ups your protein to about 18 grams or so for a lower calorie breakfast than the cliff bar would provide if that is what you are after)

cubed and sauteed tempeh with leafy greens and spices and maybe a squirt of fresh lemon juice; have some fruit or toast on the side and that is about twenty grams of protein there (one serving of tempeh has 16 grams)

smoothies with vegan protein powder and/or some chia or flax seeds added

homemade bars made with beans, pumpkin, bananas, oats etc or a homemade granola type of bar. I sometimes make up to twelve bars at a time and then freeze them and take one out as needed. They thaw very quickly or you can zap it in the microwave for a few seconds. They are so much cheaper than buying commercial bars with unwanted ingredients. I have even taken homemade bars on week long canoe camping trips and they last all week without refrigeration in moderate temps.

None of these breakfast ideas take much time to prepare, maybe 15 minutes tops. Some of them can be eaten in a hotel if traveling. I have even eaten cold oat flakes sprinkled with walnuts, dried fruit, and a splash of plant milk to soak it.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the fat content of the bars as much as I would the sodium, sugar and other ingredients such as palm oil and soy protein isolate (highly processed form of soy). Not to mention the lack of fruits and vegetables that comes with replacing whole food with a commercial bar. This is why I would find it ok for a snack or treat but not a replacement for a meal. Plus it must be somewhat $$$?