Thread: milk drinkers in India

Cool milk drinkers in India

Most people in India drink milk, despite the fact that their cows mostly have TB. And increasingly they are eating more and more meat, as well as using many different animals in Hindu religious ceremonies. Maneka Gandhi says that Hindus alone hold more than 50,000 sacrificial events per year, at each of them, hundreds of animals are killed. Ingrid Newkirk who grew up in India, believes that western influence is greatly responsible for the meat and leather trades. As for milk use, this is a good website:
    http://www.petaindia.org/automation/...tem.asp?id=974
    Eve

PinkFluffyCloud

Eww, I didn't know about the sacrificing.

I read an article recently about the increase of meat consumption amongst Hindus. It seems that with the advent of outsourcing of jobs to India, younger Indians have higher incomes and to show their "success", they consume murdered animal .

It is unfortunate that not all Hindus are vegetarian. Some are vegetarian because of the sect of Hinduism they are born into but others only stop eating cows. It is even more sad that cows, the most holy of animals still aren’t treated as well as they should be. Religion is such a crazy thing sometimes! From what I understand about Hinduism you are meant to respect all life and it’s so bizarre if there are animal sacrificing. Then again Christianity does the same thing!

I just hope that veganisim grows in Britain and people in India looking towards the west take note.

spo

I can say from personal experience that Hindus are greatly influenced by the very worst of our Western trends. They are certainly consuming meat and loads of dairy. Animals are treated just horribly and conditions in their slaughterhouses are horrendous. In addition, slaughterhouses are located in distant regions, strangely, not to affect Hindu sensibilities; and the poor animals are practically walked to death in their "Death march" to slaughter. As a Hindu convert, who has gone to India for religious reasons, I am totally appalled by all this; and have tried my best to speak out against it. The conditions and plight of domestic animals is truly horrible, too.

I have not gone there for almost 5 yrs. now; and it is because of this hypocrisy about animal treatment in a Hindu country! There is a very essential tenet in Hinduism. It is called Ahimsa- the doctrine of doing no harm to living beings. This doctrine is violated daily by large numbers of Hindus in Indian.

Sadly, the problem is that no one seems to be immune to this Human tendency towards violent consumption, dominance, control, specieism, sexism, and a total numbing and ridiculing of any soft, sensitive feeling, like compassion. Don't get me started on the sexual abuse of young women in India and their sale by their own families into prostitution!